walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Recommendations for backpack for West Highland Way?

Recommendations for backpack for West Highland Way?

Postby LailaQuiche » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:10 pm

Hello!

I am doing the West Highland Way at the end of May. I will be camping so carrying all my stuff (tent, sleeping bag, mat etc.) Planning on keeping the weight down as much as I can. Not sure what the best size of bag would be - I know there is a danger of packing TOO much with a bigger bag! Would 50l be big enough? Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a suitable backpack. I've had a look online but I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the choice!

Cheers!
LailaQuiche

Munros:70   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Recommendations for backpack for West Highland Way?

Postby davekeiller » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:33 pm

It depends a bit on how bulky your gear is.
It's probably possible to get away with a 50l sack, but personally I use a 65l for multi-day trips.
It's absolutely essential that you try a rucksack on in store with some weight in it. Any good outdoor shop will have weights available for you to use, and will have a look at you with the rucksack on to ensure that it's adjusted properly and fits you.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby rgf101 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:15 pm

Yeah, my multi-day or winter overnight bag is 65l, I think. 50l sounds doable, but it might depend on how light you're able to travel, how many days food you're hoping to carry. It might be worth coming up with a packing list and then figuring out the pack.

Also depends on how you're travelling. If you're planning to eat in pubs and teahouses on the way, you can save carrying stove and food.

As for specific recommendations, I've not bought a rucksack for years. I have a Berghuas 65+10 which is a monster - weighs 3kg empty, big solid back and very wide hip belt. But when it's on and properly adjusted, it's like it's not there. I've almost come a cropper forgetting about it when jumping burns and getting caught out by the extra momentum.

And when that's not needed, a Deuter 32l or so. Can't fault it, comfortable, has stood up to some rough use (as has the Berghaus).
rgf101

Postby bydand_loon » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:58 pm

Done a few TGO's with a 50l Montane bag, doing the CWT very soon with a 50l Atom pack, holds all my gear and about 4kg/8 days of (quite bulky) food very easily, but as said above, it all depends on the bulk/qty of gear you want to carry.

also, some manufactures count the outer pockets as part of the 50l, some don't so you can end up with a smaller (or larger) main body which could effect your packing capability
bydand_loon
Hill Bagger

Postby Ben Nachie » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:37 pm

As others have already pointed out, 'it depends'.
My current multi-day pack is a 60 litre pack (Osprey Levity 60).
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby Sack the Juggler » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:51 pm

Ben Nachie wrote:As others have already pointed out, 'it depends'.
is that pack made of dyneema or a dyneema composite? Been looking at it for a while but would prefer a waterproof(ish) pack - hence the question
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby Sack the Juggler » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:03 pm

LailaQuiche wrote:Hello!

I am doing the West Highland Way at the end of May. I will be camping so carrying all my stuff (tent, sleeping bag, mat etc.) Planning on keeping the weight down as much as I can. Not sure what the best size of bag would be - I know there is a danger of packing TOO much with a bigger bag! Would 50l be big enough? Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a suitable backpack. I've had a look online but I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the choice!

Cheers!
I've got an osprey talon 44 and I can get most of my gear in it..but its a bit tight, and also the talon, regardless of how good a pack it is, isn't really made for heavy loads.

I've also got an osprey exos 48, which carries my gear much better, its a great pack and brilliant for overnighters on the hills, but sometimes I need to carry a bit more weight (more food or water, or bottles of wine, just the essential stuff), or I have to carry it further (multiday hikes) so then I go to my osprey kestrel 68. This pack carries the loads really well, and although its slightly heavier than the exos, it seems lighter because of the suspension system (I'm told!).

Anyway, apart from me being a osprey fanboy (I've got several other osprey packs too), the things you need to think of is how big is your gear (tent, sleeping bag and sleep mat mainly), and then how much does it weigh. Some packs will get 50 / 60 litres of kit in, but they are limited on the weight that they will carry comfortably, and if you are walking 150km you probably want the most comfortably pack you can get away with.
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby Ben Nachie » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:31 pm

Sack the Juggler wrote:
is that pack made of dyneema or a dyneema composite? Been looking at it for a while but would prefer a waterproof(ish) pack - hence the question

I've not had it long but I have had it wet. It's not Dyneema but it's largely made of Osprey's version of it. Check out their website and 3rd party reviews. It's not fully waterproof, so I keep my sleeping bag and clothes in watertight bags. It is however very comfortable and VERY light. It's mostly double skinned, with the outer pockets covering a large part of the bag. This makes it more waterproof than it otherwise might be. Some might say it is not very robust, but I tend to baby my gear so it's fine for me.
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby Hike Man » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:44 pm

I’ve camped it all the way stopping at sites and wild camping and 65l is more than enough. Even if you are wild camping the route is so well serviced that you can pick up food on a daily basis or buy pub grub. It’s a pleasant walk and the pubs crop up about every 8 to 10 miles so never far from a beer if you are that way inclined.

My experience of a fully stuffed 65l backpack is that you will be thinking of chucking half of it before too long.

Also there is a hostel, an out of the way bothy, and numerous camp sites offering huts of varying standards if you decide to ditch the tent. If you are travelling as a small group or even a duo these can offer a little comfort at not too high a cost.

Good luck and enjoy.
Hike Man

Munros:40   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Sack the Juggler » Thu May 02, 2019 5:01 pm

Ben Nachie wrote:
Sack the Juggler wrote:

I've not had it long but I have had it wet. It's not Dyneema but it's largely made of Osprey's version of it. Check out their website and 3rd party reviews. It's not fully waterproof, so I keep my sleeping bag and clothes in watertight bags. It is however very comfortable and VERY light. It's mostly double skinned, with the outer pockets covering a large part of the bag. This makes it more waterproof than it otherwise might be. Some might say it is not very robust, but I tend to baby my gear so it's fine for me.
I tried one of these on when I was in Sweden, and was impressed by its weight and how comfy it was. The only downside for me was the lack of hip pockets as I like to have my camera, snacks, inhaler within easy reach as I'm walking along.
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby LailaQuiche » Thu May 02, 2019 5:59 pm

Thanks for all your replies! Been to a few shops and tried some on, still uhming and aahing over what capacity to get!
LailaQuiche

Munros:70   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Sack the Juggler » Thu May 02, 2019 6:23 pm

LailaQuiche wrote:Thanks for all your replies! Been to a few shops and tried some on, still uhming and aahing over what capacity to get!

take your tent, sleeping bag, and sleep mat in with you to try to get them into a pack. You are really looking for two things, how easy it is to get them in (and how much additional space there is for stove, clothes, etc) and which backpack feels the best with them in it (as together they will probably weigh around 4kg or so).

I know I can get my tent, bag and pad in any of my backpacks, but it can be a push in some (with not much room for anything else), and some carry them better (weight wise) than others.

If you haven't got your tent yet, borrow one from the shop floor, pick one that you think is about the right size for you, but a reasonable cheap one should weigh around 2kg (ish).

In my view, having too much capacity is better than not having enough, as you can always leave things behind if you have too much weight. Its all about being disciplined, besides, if you go for a 50l bag and want to get more into it, you will always find a way, so best pick a pack that will carry what your need without have to fight to get your stuff in it every morning (or out every night).

Besides there is not much difference in the weight of a 50l v 60l bag (of the same make and model) - for example the exos 48l is 1.19kg and the 58l is 1.23 kg.
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk