walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Single stick/pole recommendation?

Re: Single stick/pole recommendation?

Postby 37201xoIM » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:35 pm

Thanks for that tip - have now got myself a Leki Sherpa XTG so will indeed check what size I need.
37201xoIM

Munros:11   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:120
Wainwrights:45   Islands:19

Postby crfishwick » Fri May 24, 2019 7:40 pm

Go for a cheap clip lock. Such as the Karrimor plus a few others that are exactly the same model but branded differently. They are carbon fibre and compared to a leki on a par and cost a darn sight less :clap:
Used them for years and never let me down. Plus I have 2 spares I purchased as I was advised would not last long. But they have. :crazy:
crfishwick

Postby crfishwick » Fri May 24, 2019 9:32 pm

37201xoIM wrote:Thanks for that tip - have now got myself a Leki Sherpa XTG so will indeed check what size I need.

Whoops! Didn't see this post.
crfishwick

Postby 37201xoIM » Fri May 24, 2019 10:14 pm

No bother! I've used the Leki Sherpa XTG twice now and am pretty happy with it - only thing is that I overtightened the nut at the top of Ben Klibreck last Saturday (truth be told, my fingers were a bit numb......) and managed to snap one of the (plastic) quicklock levers... slightly annoying but am willing to put that down to user error, as you probably don't need to tighten the nut very far: that's what the lever is for.

And to Leki's credit, while the replacement was somewhat chingsome (£10.50 after GB postage), I ordered it on Tuesday night online and received it in Thursday's post.

By the way, I don't think you need an Allen key - the nuts can be tightened with a thumb prior to using the levers.
37201xoIM

Munros:11   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:120
Wainwrights:45   Islands:19

Postby johnscot55 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:34 pm

Suspect I might get burned for this, but isn't a pole just a glorified stick with one purpose, to reach from your hand to the ground. I use a single pole (with a little amount of springload) I bought for less than a tenner on Amazon. It's in it's third year. Works fine and doesn't collapse. I remember speaking to a man on a hillside who told me he broke TWO more expensive poles while climbing Schiehallion!!!
johnscot55
Mountain Walker

Munros:67   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:8   

Postby crfishwick » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:29 pm

johnscot55 wrote:Suspect I might get burned for this, but isn't a pole just a glorified stick with one purpose, to reach from your hand to the ground. I use a single pole (with a little amount of springload) I bought for less than a tenner on Amazon. It's in it's third year. Works fine and doesn't collapse. I remember speaking to a man on a hillside who told me he broke TWO more expensive poles while climbing Schiehallion!!!

:lol: :lol: Absolutly correct! But people seem to fall into the trap of dearer the better. My sticks are cheap carbon and as strong or stronger than lekis. Plus a lot lighter in weight.

Too much nonsense is talked about walking gear and all other hobbies. A selling ploy for the gullible including me. :lol: :lol: :lol:
crfishwick

Postby Gareth Harper » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:37 pm

Suspect I might get burned for this, but isn't a pole just a glorified stick with one purpose, to reach from your hand to the ground. I use a single pole (with a little amount of springload) I bought for less than a tenner on Amazon. It's in it's third year. Works fine and doesn't collapse. I remember speaking to a man on a hillside who told me he broke TWO more expensive poles while climbing Schiehallion!!!

Whatever works for you.

My first poles were Tiso own brand, 30 quid a pair. The twist locks jammed all the time. Then after about 6 months I bent one. Tried to straighten it but it was done.

Bought a pair of fancy Black Diamond ones. Lovely flip locks. I think I paid 85 quid for the pair. Replaced the tips on them last year. They are extremely tougth. Had em for about nine years now I think.
Gareth Harper

Munros:204   Corbetts:82
Fionas:26   Donalds:50
Sub 2000:6   

Postby weesmudge » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:21 pm

Just bought a new set of Leki journey poles to replace the £30 robens from Cotswold.
They are the strong series so larger diameter pole widths.
Should of been £58.50 from go outdoors, quick look on gooogle in the shop and found them for £44.99 so got them through price match with a further 10% of so only paid £40.50 and what a great set of poles they are :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
weesmudge
Munro compleatist

Munros:134   Corbetts:4

Postby rodr » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:28 am

I'm 180 cm, currently 110Kg and falling (slowly) and I use Helinox Passport ultralight folding poles.
I started with the 115 cm model and now use a pair of the 125 cm poles as I find it much easier to descend with the longer poles..
They are very light, at 164 grams for the longer poles, and I have walked thousands of km with them and never had a breakage, failure or any sort of problems.
The only "problem" if you could call it that is that the standard basket supplied with these poles is very small, which is OK except in snow or deep mud, where the poles tend to dive, dive, dive. Bigger baskets for snow and mud are of course available and pretty cheap.
Otherwise I can't recommend them highly enough.
cheers,
rodr
Mountain Walker

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk