walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Highlands in may - clothes? Weight weight weight?

Re: Highlands in may - clothes? Weight weight weight?

Postby mrssanta » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:53 pm

regedmunds wrote:For me its all about routine, after I pitch my tent I then hand wash the clothes I've been wearing, change into fresh clothes and the next morning peg my wet clothes to the back of my rucksack to dry as I walk.

good luck with that in Scotland, I don't think I would ever wash stuff when out and about unless I had access to a drying room overnight or the forecast was perfect. Hand washing in cold water if wild camping will leave them dripping wet, heavy and a lot of drying to happen. Certainly I would not rely on that being possible on a backpacking trip.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby rgf101 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:21 am

Sometimes clean wet socks can be preferable to dirty wet socks...
rgf101

Postby bydand_loon » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:03 pm

regedmunds wrote:The way I try to save weight is to take only one or two of everything. I just carry two baselayers, two pairs of socks, one shirt to go to the pub in the evening, 2 pairs of underwear, two lightweight warm jackets and two walking trousers, one of which is very light, again to go out to the pub in the evening.

For me its all about routine, after I pitch my tent I then hand wash the clothes I've been wearing, change into fresh clothes and the next morning peg my wet clothes to the back of my rucksack to dry as I walk.

I always buy synthetic as I find that they tend to dry quicker than wool and bamboo products. My only down product is my sleeping quilt.

I also don't cook en route and only carry a few nuts and choccy bars to sustain me through the day and then eat out in the evening. I think I have now reached the limit of what weight I can save, can't think of anything else.

I finished the CWT on Friday in the same pants, socks, trousers, LS t shirt and soft shell I started in 15 days prior, I stunk & didn't give a ...

The punts, t and socks got the odd scrub whether they needed it or not, I had a swift (very) dook in the oykel. Carried a clean pair of socks & pants and a t for sleeping/special occasions.

I would have starved to death using your eating regime.
bydand_loon
Hill Bagger

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk