walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Highlands in may - clothes? Weight weight weight?

Highlands in may - clothes? Weight weight weight?

Postby Mirijana » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:28 am

Hi,
No more money to buy light weight equipment :)
And trying desperately to minimize the weight in the backsack.
Could I do without some of the clothes below?
I'll start may 10th - and will walk from Kingussie to Craig.

]In the backsack:
2 long-sleeved wool blouse (290 g)
down jacket (450 g)
socks (235 g)
rain pants (148 g)
long wool pants (121 g)
Shell jacket / goretex (389 g)
underpants (37 g)
Fleece Hoodie (478)

To wear:
shotshell jacket (285 g)
stockings (57 g)
pants (400 g)
buffer (44 g)
long-sleeved wool (190 g)
t-shirt (108 g)

Kind regards
Mirijana
Mirijana
Hill Bagger

Re: Highlands in may - clothes? Weight weight weight?

Postby fhaggis » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:06 pm

I know this might not be very helpful but, its really a personal choice and how smelly you wanna get or how much you can carry? it will also depend on the weather, being Scotland you could get soaked and sunburnt on the same day, so make sure your clothes are waterproof INSIDE your ruck sack.

I've literally just packed my back for doing the East Highland way tomorrow, I'm camping in Fort William tonight and train home from Aviemore on Thursday. I swore I wouldn't take loads of clothes but I've got 1 pair of shorts & trousers, 5 tops,(I each day and a pair to travel home in, plus the same with socks and pants! waterproof jacket, fleece and light top.

I usually am really comfortable with lot of weight and long miles but I'm having issues with my ankle so taking smaller tent, sleeping bag etc and even taking not 1, but 2 walking poles, which I usually hate!

have fun and may the wind keep the midges away!
fhaggis
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Mirijana » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:19 pm

Dear Haggis,
I'm loaded with waterproof stuf:) and light weight this and that.
Perhaps my doubt go with how many jackets do I need?
Do I REALLY need the down jacket, or is it enough with fleece, softshell and hardshell and a lot of humor and wool? It all comes down to 400 gr. :)

Best regards
and have a nice hike.
Mirijana
Mirijana
Hill Bagger

Postby mrssanta » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:13 pm

do you have a hat and gloves? because if it is cold you can wear as many jackets as you like and you will be cold without them.
What are you doing for overnighters? Will you be sitting around at camp (that can get chilly) or going into your sleeping bag and getting snug? I'm assuming you are camping but I may be wrong!
I have a tendency to take too much warm stuff, but then I do get cold. But I don't bother with changes of clothing (apart from underwear every 2nd day) if going on a multi-day walk because it is all to carry. I do take some leggings to wear at night that can double as a base layer if it is cold.
also I am a bit confused by stockings and pants. I assume by pants you mean trousers, things that go on the outside, not underwear. I am not sure what you mean by stockings? do you mean long socks, or tights?
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Mirijana » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:47 pm

Dear MrsSanta,

Grrrr...google-translate:)
Trousers - Yes - outside.
By stockings Google Translate meant socks.
And yes to gloves and hat.
Actually - I think I got it all. Just wander..perhaps to much?! I think I'm good.
I will do some long evening-walks with my backpack round the harbour here in Copenhagen, so the weight won't come as a chok.
Thank you very much for you kind - and funny answer.
Kind regards
Mirijana
Mirijana
Hill Bagger

Postby Sack the Juggler » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:07 am

How many days walking are you doing and what are your sleep / shelter plans (tent or B&B)?

Anyway, I'd keep the down jacket and lose the fleece, they both do the same job, but the down will do it better, and the t shirt, long sleeve shirt, softshell jacket and goretex jacket can be layered up and down during the day depending on the temperature and the rain fall.
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby Mirijana » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:46 pm

Dear Sack the Juggler,
I'll keep the down jacket and goodbye to the fleece.
Or as we say in danish; ud med fleecen!

Best
Mirijana
Mirijana
Hill Bagger

Postby davekeiller » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:47 pm

How many days are you walking? I can get more than one day out of a top, especially if it's wool.
Personally I'd go for one long sleeved top and one short sleeved, just in case it's warm.
Either the fleece or the down jacket, but probably not both.
Probably do without the softshell, but possibly add a lightweight (100gsm) fleece.

It also depends on what you plan to do for accommodation. If staying in B&B/hostels then you'll be inside and it will be warm, but if camping then it can get cold and it's better to have an extra warm layer that you don't use than not enough and feel cold.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby rabthecairnterrier » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:32 am

I'd keep the down jacket and lose the fleece, they both do the same job, but the down will do it better,
... not if it gets wet it won't. Maybe compromise with a fleece top and a down gilet - then if it gets wet it won't be such a disaster.
rabthecairnterrier
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:180
Fionas:129   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:86   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:56   Islands:41

Postby Sack the Juggler » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:56 am

rabthecairnterrier wrote:I'd keep the down jacket and lose the fleece, they both do the same job, but the down will do it better,
... not if it gets wet it won't. Maybe compromise with a fleece top and a down gilet - then if it gets wet it won't be such a disaster.
The OP said that they cannot afford to buy new clothes, so we are just working with what they have.
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby Holly » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:03 pm

When doing the CWT, I took spare underwear and a couple of spare pairs of socks. I had base layers for sleeping in which would double as extra layers should they be required . When walking , I wore a base layer, (merino wool) a fleece and a waterproof jacket ( paramo ). That was it but this time I am going to add a down gilet. The clothes I started with were the clothes I finished with and didn’t really care if I smelled ! I was carrying all my gear and camping so I wasn’t too concerned with what anyone might have thought :-) I do also plan on doing a laundry at the glen sheil campsite which might improve things! Have a great time and if you don’t need it , don’t take it :-)
Holly
Munro compleatist

Munros:240   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby EileanB » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:11 pm

You could maybe leave out one of the long sleeved shirts and one of the jackets, and just reckon you won't smell perfect at the end of the walk.
I try to go with 3 of the layer next to the skin, 2 of the middle layer and 1 of the outer layer, and what I am wearing is included in that. And I have a very light Paramo gilet which keeps you warm even when it is wet, which usually goes in, as Scotland in May throw anything at you in the way of weather!
EileanB
Walker

Postby Mirijana » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:23 pm

Thank you all for all the good advice.

My plan A is:

I will walk for 9 days. With start in Kingussie and stop in Achnashellach.
Sleep in 3 b&b's.
Sleep in my tent (or mayby a bothy)d at Melgarve, Poulany, Cluanie, Morvich, Maol bhuide and perhaps Craig.
The fleece goes.
The Down Jacket stay.
One of the long sleves merino goes. Perhaps.
I dont care about the smell:)
Thank you very much for all the good answers.

Mirijana
Mirijana
Hill Bagger

Postby mrssanta » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:11 pm

Sounds wonderful have a lovely time
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby regedmunds » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:44 pm

The way I try to save weight is to take only one or two of everything. I just carry two baselayers, two pairs of socks, one shirt to go to the pub in the evening, 2 pairs of underwear, two lightweight warm jackets and two walking trousers, one of which is very light, again to go out to the pub in the evening.

For me its all about routine, after I pitch my tent I then hand wash the clothes I've been wearing, change into fresh clothes and the next morning peg my wet clothes to the back of my rucksack to dry as I walk.

I always buy synthetic as I find that they tend to dry quicker than wool and bamboo products. My only down product is my sleeping quilt.

I also don't cook en route and only carry a few nuts and choccy bars to sustain me through the day and then eat out in the evening. I think I have now reached the limit of what weight I can save, can't think of anything else.
regedmunds

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk