walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

GPS

GPS

Postby david bolster » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:14 am

How do you decide what is the true length of a walk? A GPS system will give you the length that you actually walked,whereas a map will give you a shorter distance and elevation. For years, people only used maps, - a flat surface, to compute distance and elevation. If a walk description said 10 miles, you knew what they meant. But now, the discrepancy can be as much as 20%. This is obvious, I know. And yet among fellow walkers, it can be divisive on the issue. I cannot find anything on the internet which discusses the issue.
david bolster
Bird-watcher

Re: GPS

Postby scoob999 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:11 pm

Me and my wife both have garmins, the 64s and the 66s the distance is pretty much always the same although the height varies sometimes.
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby mrssanta » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:02 pm

I'd go with which ever one is longer as it makes me feel more gnarly. :lol:
which is why I like km more than miles
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby jolly47roger » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:31 pm

One problem is that GPS records points and adds up the distances from point to adjacent point. In a perfect world this would be fine but GPS positioning has errors and if it is recording a point every few seconds when you are walking at, say 1 metre per second the errors can introduce a sort of zizgzag effect. How big the error is depends on the strength of the signal - I remember sitting having lunch at the bottom of a valley and finding I had 'travelled' half a mile just by the accumulation of errors.
jolly47roger
Mountaineer

Postby Marty_JG » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:41 pm

Jolly that's true but a while back we found the Garmin Basecamp has "smoothing" which helped minimise (you have to make a 5 meter change of altitude before it registers it).
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk