walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Folding bike

Folding bike

Postby CharlesT » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:38 am

Has anyone got any experience of using a folding bike to cycle in to hills where such access is possible? Ideally would have to be lightweight, multi-geared and robust enough to bear my 85kg and cope with rough tracks. Don't want to spend a fortune either for the limited use it would get.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Re: Folding bike

Postby Sack the Juggler » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:20 pm

I know a few lads who have bromptons or similar, but not sure that is what you are asking for? The folding mechanism generally adds a lot of weight to the bikes, so not sure about lightweight.

Why does it have to be a folding bike? Most bikes can be safely taken on the train, or you can buy a bike rack, so just wondering why you need a folding bike?

Are you looking for a folding mountain bike? This gets good write ups but its expensive and ugly (in my opinion) https://www.montaguebikes.com/product-category/mountain-bikes/

these look nicer but still expensive https://changebike.co.uk/full-size-folding-bike/df-609/
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby Sack the Juggler » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:22 pm

maybe try gumtree or ebay for a used one?

https://www.gumtree.com/bicycles/uk/folding-mountain-bike
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby WalkWithWallace » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:32 pm

I knew a chap who used rail to get to the hills, he bought a folding bike to get from various train stations to the start of his walks.

The one thing to bear in mind is, the wheels are tiny so they're not very good on rough tracks.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby CharlesT » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:10 pm

Thanks for the replies. Maybe should have said it would be a mountain bike type not a commuter type. I know they exist and are expensive for occasional use and those on ebay etc don't fit the bill on the whole. Was wondering if anyone has one or has used one themselves.

I have an aluminium framed MB which I used to be able to fit in the back of my previous transport by taking the front wheel and saddle off but can't do this with my current vehicle which also has a tailgate design which doesn't allow fitting a carrier and I don't have a tow bar and I'm not going to the expense of fitting a roof carrier.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Postby prog99 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:50 pm

Sack the Juggler wrote:Most bikes can be safely taken on the train, or you can buy a bike rack, so just wondering why you need a folding bike?

The problem is getting them booked on which can be tricky at times.Even when you are booked turning up to find someones luggage, pram etc in the space can be fairly common unless you are at the origin station.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Sack the Juggler » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:52 pm

CharlesT wrote:Thanks for the replies. Maybe should have said it would be a mountain bike type not a commuter type. I know they exist and are expensive for occasional use and those on ebay etc don't fit the bill on the whole. Was wondering if anyone has one or has used one themselves.

I have an aluminium framed MB which I used to be able to fit in the back of my previous transport by taking the front wheel and saddle off but can't do this with my current vehicle which also has a tailgate design which doesn't allow fitting a carrier and I don't have a tow bar and I'm not going to the expense of fitting a roof carrier.

this one looks good, its even got a rack for your tent, etc. https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/full-size-folding-dahon-matrix-mountain-bike-/1337780303

these are supposed to be good too, so £350 a-piece is a great price
https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/pair-of-montaque-folding-mountain-bikes/1337654717
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby CharlesT » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:51 pm

Sack the Juggler wrote:
CharlesT wrote:Thanks for the replies. Maybe should have said it would be a mountain bike type not a commuter type. I know they exist and are expensive for occasional use and those on ebay etc don't fit the bill on the whole. Was wondering if anyone has one or has used one themselves.

this one looks good, its even got a rack for your tent, etc. https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/full-size-folding-dahon-matrix-mountain-bike-/1337780303

these are supposed to be good too, so £350 a-piece is a great price
https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/pair-of-montaque-folding-mountain-bikes/1337654717

Thanks for these, something to mull over. The Dahon looks the better and cheaper.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Postby Sgurr » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:39 pm

Used to stick cheap bikes on tow bar, but came to the erroneous decision that we had done all the hills we might like to bike....then they discovered a new Marilyn. Sent you a pm.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby CharlesT » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:20 am

Sgurr wrote:Used to stick cheap bikes on tow bar, but came to the erroneous decision that we had done all the hills we might like to bike....then they discovered a new Marilyn. Sent you a pm.

I resolved never to tow anything again after hauling around horse trailers to godforsaken muddy fields prior to my daughters discovering boys, so no tow bar. The other thing is that I'm a "Roadie" and pretty inept off the tarmac so it might not be a good idea anyway. :D
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Postby CharlesT » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:27 am

Bike bought, off to collect it now. Nearly new Montague Paratrooper. Hope it's as good as the advertisements say.

My old Rockhopper will be on the market soon.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk