walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Improving warmth without buying a new sleeping bag

Improving warmth without buying a new sleeping bag

Postby regedmunds » Sun May 12, 2019 3:09 pm

I don't use a sleeping bag, I now use a sleeping quilt and have done so for the past four years. The quilt has proved to be a very good three season purchase but sometimes I just want to be warmer. I solved my problem by working on the same principle as I do for keeping warm in the day, layers.

I bought a camping blanket from Decathlon, (£5.99) cut it in half and then sewed 4 little plastic snapon/snapoff ---?---, no idea what to call them but they are just like little keyrings, 2 on what side, 2 on the other. I only need the blanket to cover my torso so they just line up and secure to four small loops on either side of my quilt, which stops the blanket sliding off as I move around. So if I feel chilly I just throw the blanket over me, snap it to my quilt and go back to a warm sleep.
regedmunds

Re: Improving warmth without buying a new sleeping bag

Postby Marty_JG » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:37 pm

A silk sleeping bag liner is great, packs to nothing weighs almost nothing, adds warmth in the winter and can be used as a bag in and of itself if it's a warm night (chance would be a fine thing). Costs more than £6 but no sewing.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk