walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Boots/socks/feet.....for a born again walker :)

Boots/socks/feet.....for a born again walker :)

Postby hippyhappy » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:57 pm

I used to walk a lot. I haven't properly walked for many years. Anyway.....trying to get back into it.

Sooooooo......today, out I went with my old, trusted pair of Brashers. They are intact, they look ok, they are still waterproof, stitching is complete. They used to be fine from what I remember. I have worn them on and off on short walks but not put them through their paces for a while!

I walked over the Pentland hills....well...three of them. Had a fab day. But on the road back....my feet :( Oh lordy....they are sore! I am blistered all over on the soles of my feet.I don't remember having these problems before. Hubby thinks my feet are moving in my boots....but they haven't shrunk!

Could it be as simple as socks? I genuinely can't remember what I used to wear (It is 18 years since I walked up a hill!)

I really want to get back into this. I am hoping to climb a munro soon.

I know this is a really naive question in amongst all you walkers......but am I kidding myself my 18 year old boots are OK? (they were blooming good boots at the time!) or can a decent pair of socks make the difference?
hippyhappy
Hill Bagger

Re: Boots/socks/feet.....for a born again walker :)

Postby nathan79 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:23 am

The right (or wrong) socks can make a massive difference. Try some good socks- Bridgedale, Smartwool, 1000 miles etc, and see if that makes a difference.

It might be that your boots are still fine but your feet have changed in the years since you last regularly wore them. So I wouldn't rule out the boots being the issue but a simple sock change might have you dancing up and down hills blister-free.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:11 pm

Socks are as important as boots. I get mine from huntin', shootin', fishing tackle shops, where they still stock knee-length socks with padded soles, heels and toes so you seem to be standing on inch-thick layers of wool. They are about £12 or £15 per pair but are well worth it. They also last for years, get three pairs and relish their luxurious wooly sockyness. The blisters are also because in the years since you left off hiking, the soles of your feet will have become very soft, like babies' feet. The only cure is to go hiking more. With better socks. (or have your feet amputated at Caberfeidh's Probably Painless Amputation Booth - Buy Two Get One Free!)
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby hippyhappy » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:28 pm

Haha....I might give the amputation a miss!

I have ordered myself some new socks and also new insoles. Hoping I can hold off on boots as I need to update my jacket. It was fine yesterday, I knew the forecast was to be good but the waterproof qualities are not as good as they were.

I will harden my feet up again by walking regularly! 😊
hippyhappy
Hill Bagger

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk