walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

3 season mountain boots recommendations

3 season mountain boots recommendations

Postby MartinMeredith » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:04 am

The time has come to replace my Garmont boots which have seen me up 130 Munros and quite a few other hills nearer home. They've been great throughout but are starting to lose grip. I was hoping to get them resoled but it turns out the normal resolers are not sure about this particular model I bought in Spain, so I'm looking for a replacement. I'm not a big fan of Goretex (inner or outer), so have been looking at the likes of the Scarpa SL. I particularly want boots with a stiff sole for ease of walking over rough terrain such as the rock-strewn mountain tops that are such a feature of many Munros. It a good 10 years since I last bought boots so I'd be interested in any opinions about the latest incarnations of the Scarpa SL or any similar full leather alternatives. I don't mind a breaking-in period. I hope the next pair might see me through the next 130!

Thanks in advance

Martin
MartinMeredith

Munros:161   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   

Re: 3 season mountain boots recommendations

Postby crfishwick » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:06 pm

Meindl boots are brilliant. They can take a lot of punishment and well worth the money.
crfishwick

Postby MartinMeredith » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:15 pm

Thanks. I'll add Meindl to the shortlist. Any particular models you recommend?

Martin
MartinMeredith

Munros:161   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby crfishwick » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:51 pm

MartinMeredith wrote:Thanks. I'll add Meindl to the shortlist. Any particular models you recommend?

Martin

Mine are not manufactured nowadays. Although their boots ranging from about £150 and upwards are brilliant and last longer than other high ranged boots. MEINDL Burma Pro MFS Men's and Meindl Bhutan MFS Men's Hiking are still available and the price has fallen in recent years! Hopefully not by being made in China they used to be manufactured in Germany. :wink:
crfishwick

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:19 pm

After a fair bit of research I bought Altberg boots a couple of years ago after at least a decade walking only in approach shoes or trainers. I got them essentially for winter walking. So far they've been excellent, especially in the matter of waterproofness. A particular plus point is that they do a very wide range of sizes to suit odd-shaped feet.

It would be worth looking at earlier threads on boots on this forum, because this subject has come up a number of times.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby The Rodmiester » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:10 am

Getting pretty disappointed with the Meindle boots these days, not wearing nearly as well, although very comfy, hence my question in an earlier thread, any ideas on the Dolomite Torfana GTX boots, they look good but do they perform and last?
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby The Rodmiester » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:16 am

Getting pretty disappointed with the Meindle boots these days, not wearing nearly as well, although very comfy, hence my question in an earlier thread, any ideas on the Dolomite Torfana GTX boots, they look good but do they perform and last?
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Gareth Harper » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:55 pm

I think the only thing to do is go and try on boots. Fit is the most important thing.
I have a pair of old Scarpa SL in wide fit. They are 4 season boots. I only use them in winter now and only if I think I’ll need to use crampons.
The Meindl boots are very nice, but for some reason you generally only find the narrower fit boots in stores.
The best fitting boots I’ve ever had are Altberg. I have a well-worn pair of Tethera in wide fit, and then later got a pair of Nordkapp in A Form fit. The A form gives plenty of space for my wide toes but has a narrow heel that suits my narrow ankles.
So if you are having trouble finding something that fits do seek out an Altberg stockist. I think Altberg must have more lasts and fit variations than any other boot maker.
Gareth Harper

Munros:204   Corbetts:83
Fionas:26   Donalds:50
Sub 2000:6   

Postby denfinella » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:28 pm

Jumping onto this thread: I'm also looking to buy some replacement boots as my trusty North Face ones (pictured) are about to fall apart (the soles seem ready to fall off!).

1.jpg

I bought these in 2013 for £90 from Blacks, on offer from £160 which I think was a cracking deal. I'm looking for something of a similar level - or perhaps slightly less serious (they're very heavy!) - any recommendations? I realise I'm unlikely to get the same deal as last time, but I'd rather not spend too much more than £120 or so. The main things I'm looking for are decent ankle support and good waterproofing.

North Face are offering Hedgehog Trek GTX boots (which I think are a level below my current ones) for £75 down from £150, but the size I suspect I'm looking for is out of stock, in both colours: https://www.thenorthface.co.uk/shop/en-gb/tnf-gb/mens-hedgehog-trek-gtx-boots-2ux1?variationId=TCP

One boot that's caught my eye is the Salomon Men's Quest 4D 3 GTX (who comes up with these names?!) which seems to be retailing around £130, down from £180.

Or should I be looking at something much less expensive, and just expect to replace it after a shorter period? Millets are offering a Peter Storm Millbeck boot (I know, I know...) for just £39, down from £90 at the moment: https://www.millets.co.uk/footwear/100463-peter-storm-mens-millbeck-waterproof-boot-dark-grey.html. I realise they're unlikely to be such a good boot, but at a third of the price it'd be OK if they only lasted a couple of years, and it's less of a financial risk if they turn out to be rubbish...
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Postby crfishwick » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:55 am

LOL. It's a minefield nowadays getting the correct boots.😂

Just bought a pair of Salomons over the Internet! I don't usually have problems as my feet are pretty well the norm😏 Did not break them in and set off on a 95 mile BP trip got 4 miles and the boots creased me! Due to the ankle cuffs being higher than most boots! Must keep using them as probably they will be alright after a while.

I find advice about trying them out at a shop OK but you still may have problems in the field unfortunately.
crfishwick

Postby euant » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:24 pm

I've tried a lot of different brands over the years, but my current pair of Akus are the best I've had yet. I can't post a link (something about being a new user), but I believe they're called the "Alterra GTX".

It is a fairly heavy boot, but for me the advantages are:

• Quite a wide fit toe wise, which fits my feet perfectly
  • The tongue and collar are all one elasticated piece - there's no separate tongue flap, which I often find can rub
  • Quite a high boot, which is great for ankle support

Last time I was looking for boots I happened to be in the Lake District and tried on quite a large range of different boots from various companies before settling on these.

Only downside is that they're quite expensive, but sometimes you get what you pay for...
euant
Mountaineer

Munros:7   Corbetts:3
Donalds:1
Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:6   Islands:4

Postby denfinella » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:21 pm

crfishwick wrote:LOL. It's a minefield nowadays getting the correct boots.😂

Just bought a pair of Salomons over the Internet! I don't usually have problems as my feet are pretty well the norm😏 Did not break them in and set off on a 95 mile BP trip got 4 miles and the boots creased me! Due to the ankle cuffs being higher than most boots! Must keep using them as probably they will be alright after a while.

I find advice about trying them out at a shop OK but you still may have problems in the field unfortunately.

It is indeed a minefield!

The Salomons aren't stocked in any of the Scottish stores, so I've bought them in two sizes - half a size smaller and half a size larger than my usual - with free returns. Hopefully one of them will be OK! I'm used to high boot tops so hopefully this shouldn't be a problem for me. Hope yours improve - I'm not familiar with the meaning of "creased me"?

euant wrote:I've tried a lot of different brands over the years, but my current pair of Akus are the best I've had yet. I can't post a link (something about being a new user), but I believe they're called the "Alterra GTX".

It is a fairly heavy boot, but for me the advantages are:

• Quite a wide fit toe wise, which fits my feet perfectly
  • The tongue and collar are all one elasticated piece - there's no separate tongue flap, which I often find can rub
  • Quite a high boot, which is great for ankle support

Last time I was looking for boots I happened to be in the Lake District and tried on quite a large range of different boots from various companies before settling on these.

Only downside is that they're quite expensive, but sometimes you get what you pay for...

I've just googled the above... they do look quite good, and some reasonable discounts available. I hope you don't work for them! :lol: Perhaps a backup if the Salomons don't work out...
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Postby euant » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:35 pm

denfinella wrote:I've just googled the above... they do look quite good, and some reasonable discounts available. I hope you don't work for them! :lol: Perhaps a backup if the Salomons don't work out...

I wish I did, then I might not have had to fork out for them :shock:

From looking on their website I think they've perhaps refreshed them since I bought mine earlier this year, as the current pictures look slightly different to mine and they no longer seem to do them in the same colour - perhaps that's the cause for the discounts?
euant
Mountaineer

Munros:7   Corbetts:3
Donalds:1
Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:6   Islands:4

Postby BryShaz » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:04 pm

Hi,

Jumping onto the post as I have just joined. I used 2 different boots, dependant upon conditions (which is always guaranteed ....right!!) I have my trusty Solomons which took me a while to break in but are now a few 1000 mile in and comfy as sandals but still waterproof, holding their shape etc. My second, heavier and stiffer pair are scarpa's these are pretty old but I looked after them and they are great for doing munro's, saving your feet/toes on the ascent and descent. Anyway, just my tuppence worth.

Bryan
BryShaz
Mountaineer

Munros:15   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:10   

Postby davekeiller » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:08 pm

+1 for Altberg.
The real selling point is the choice of widths which means you're more likely to get something that fits well.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk