walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Best family tent.

Best family tent.

Postby Outnabout » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:22 pm

What is a good family tent for two adults two kids 8 &11 plus a dog. Will be looking to use it for upto 2 week (fed up lying at pools) holidays as well as weekends. Needs to be a fair size but also not too much bother for the shorter trips, budget in 3-400 range.
Outnabout
Mountaineer

Munros:32   Corbetts:13
Grahams:13   Donalds:38
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:1

Re: Best family tent.

Postby Marty_JG » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:36 pm

A fair size for a family of five for fortnight... but also not too much bother for a short trip? :wink:

An inflatable tent will take a lot of pain out of erection, or so I've been told. I've been looking at one of these badboys at £300, and at this £400 this beast from Decathlon with a five year warranty. Each of them has you and the kids next to each other with a zipped wall between you.

If you can stretch to £500, you can get the Decathlon 6 berth with separate crash for the kids (or dog).

Otherwise you get more options if you agree to do the poles, far too many options to list but there are loads of great Vango pole tents. For example this eight-man tunnel is currently £300, though Amazon fluctuates wildly. Don't worry that it says 8-person, that just means storage, clothes, etc., for you.
Marty_JG
Scrambler

Munros:8   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby Sack the Juggler » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:07 am

are you carrying it in on your back or bringing it in the car?

My view on family tents (thrown in the back of a car) is that they need to be easy and quick to put up, and also to take down.

When we were kids I remember the hassles of trying to put up modular tents that had connecting pieces to fit the poles in and one end would always fall out as someone was reaching for the next pole, or someone would have to stand there trying to hold two poles in place at a funny angle whilst someone else tried to get the other pole to fit, before finding it was the wrong pole (i.e. short pole instead of a long piece). And when taking it down, there was always pieces going missing. That put me off family tenting holidays for a long time.

So in my view extended tunnel tents are definitely the way to go for family tents, easy to set up, easy to take down, and fairly bullet proof, and resistant to the wind / rain, and there are loads of them to suit all tastes / requirements.

Personally I'd go with something that was relatively lightweight (as some can be very heavy and awkward to manoeuvre ) had a maximum of three poles to thread through and basic rather than trying to do too much. It needs a sleeping area (possible two if you want to segregate the family a bit), a porch area for getting into and out of wet clothes and possibly for cooking in if you are careful.

Something like this perhaps

https://www.outdoorgear.co.uk/Wild-Country-Hoolie-6-Tent-sku51123101.asp?gclid=Cj0KCQjw1MXpBRDjARIsAHtdN-3KN2Zzt-F-C-2graN3L4-D7LK-HAn2iIbFr7m-b_UNERT_KwiPXSQaAjgBEALw_wcB

or this

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/wild-country-zephyros-4-living-tent/

or maybe one of the vango tents

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vango-Odyssey-Family-Tunnel-Epsom/dp/B01709R6E6/ref=asc_df_B01709R6E6/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=214318306971&hvpos=1o5&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18304863452898194755&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007268&hvtargid=pla-393651061583&psc=1&th=1&psc=1
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby Ben Nachie » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:23 pm

About three years ago we bought a Vango Monaco 500 Airbeam tent. It was plenty big enough for two adults, a child and a dog. I reckon it would be big enough for another child, depending on how much space you like or can afford. I think the Monaco has been discontinued but there are other similar models out there.

I was really impressed by the inflatable beams, much less hassle than poles. The whole thing weighs about 15kg. The porch has a groundsheet which can be rolled back if required.
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby Scottk » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:44 pm

I have a vango Diablo 600 if you want. There’s no way we will be using again as the kids are past it now!! Depends where you are as it weighs about 30kgs. It’s in good condition but there is a small hole in the groundsheet which is repaired with tape and one of the guy connections has come off (although I never used it). £50 as would be good to see it being used.
Scottk
Scrambler

Postby Outnabout » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:49 am

Apologies for the late reply, lots of work on, was recommended that I went and viewed some tents, went to go outdoors and nearly bought the vango icarus and extension, but after looking at the high gear vanguard 8 and the living space it offered we went for that. Managed to get tent, carpet and airbeds each for about £400 a start at least
Outnabout
Mountaineer

Postby Scottk » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:35 pm

Nice one. I’m sure the kids will love it. We took their own duvets from home so they wouldn’t feel too home sick!
Scottk
Scrambler

Postby Outnabout » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:54 pm

Scottk wrote:Nice one. I’m sure the kids will love it. We took their own duvets from home so they wouldn’t feel too home sick!

Hopefully they will once we get some mod cons for it
Outnabout
Mountaineer

Postby Scottk » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:41 pm

And decent weather. Our first weekend away turned out to be a record breaking cold snap and during the night our son wanted the toilet. My wife took home to the toilet block which had underfloor heating. He sad “Mummy, can I sleep here tonight”!
Had a fantastic week in Gairloch shortly after which made up for it.
Scottk
Scrambler

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk