walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Ankle rash from boots - please help!

Ankle rash from boots - please help!

Postby R 90 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:37 pm

Hi all! Please forgive me if this question has already been asked a million times but I'm relatively new to walking. I've bagged a fair few munros but I am now walking around 20 miles a go in preparation for the West Highland Way which I am not used to. I got a bad rash (complete with a couple of small blisters) around my ankles and think it may be sweat rash but would love some advice.
I was wearing a liner and a sock and had my boots tied rather tight in 20 degree heat so I think I may have just strangled them! I have googled vasculitis but don't think it looks like that - the rash looks more like a patch rather than lots of red spots and the skin is sensitive to touch. Any help would be much appreciated - I am getting a little worried about the West Highland Way now :(

I did try to attach images however the post would not accept it.

Thanks!
R 90
Mountaineer

Re: Ankle rash from boots - please help!

Postby Marty_JG » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:31 pm

Sounds like a sweat rub; bear in mind my medical practice never had a complaint (then again none of my patients lived to tell the tale). More seriously:

let others guide you with sock/boot combos
    I recommend Sudocrem for healing; dab generously and let the area have as much oxygen as possible
    put patches of Zinc Oxide tape, Leukotape P, BSN Strappal, etc. on prone-to-hotspot areas, or hotspots before they start to blister, make sure you don't cut circulation off

Zinc Oxide tape is, for many hikers, essential kit on the US "trails" where they hike thousands of miles.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby R 90 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:56 pm

Thanks so much @Marty_JG :)
R 90
Mountaineer

Postby Sgurr » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:13 am

Try googling cellulitis. Let's hope it isn't that, as a friend had it, and it was the devil to get rid of. treatment seems to be the same as above plus antibiotics. However, yours appears to be more on the surface, so doubt if it is that, but do rule it out.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby walkerali » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:29 pm

This is something which affected me during long walks in warm/hot weather, but I've found wearing socks with a relaxed fit cuff plus wrapping a paper hankie around my ankles before putting on my socks has solved the problem. Worth a try!
walkerali
Mountaineer

Munros:152   Corbetts:22
Hewitts:39
Wainwrights:67   

Postby davekeiller » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:04 pm

What sort of socks were you wearing?
Wool is probably the best material to use as it wicks sweat and copes well with damp. Cotton will stay wet and that can lead to problems.
Perhaps try adjusting your lacing, so it's not over-tight.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby WalkWithWallace » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:47 am

I have a similar problem, I only get it in hot weather. Washing my feet in a burn or loch helps during and after the walk. But when I wear my trail runners instead of boots, I don't get a sweat rash at all.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:193
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby Hola » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:59 pm

Wear Trail shoes
Hola
Scrambler

Postby mynthdd2 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:26 pm

a long shot here but I had irritation at sock level as I had been using Bio washing detergent instead of eg wool ones - cleared up straight away.....
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Postby Fletcherswood » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:00 am

My wife gets sock rash with wool socks and we think it’s a reaction to the lanolin in wool when her feet get hot. It is known that golfers also complain of this.
Fletcherswood
Munro compleatist

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk