walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Winter kit for Cairngorms in late September??

Winter kit for Cairngorms in late September??

Postby Touringscot » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:06 pm

Hi We’re new the website and to walking in Scotland but we have a moderate level of experience of walking and winter touring in the Alps. We hope our kit should mostly but suitable for our planned walking in the Cairngorms but a few questions we’d be grateful for experienced views on:
Is winter kit likely to be needed eg ice axe, crampons?
Is burn water drinkable generally? Purification tablets advisable?
Trowel - is plastic any good?
Welcome views. Look forward to some great walking in Scotland. This site has been a tremendous help for our planning. Thanks to all those who post.
Touringscot
Mountaineer

Re: Winter kit for Cairngorms in late September??

Postby prog99 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:08 pm

Is winter kit likely to be needed eg ice axe, crampons?

Its not unheard of to get a decent fall of snow in september but I'd not take winter kit. The old snow from last winter has just about gone.
Is burn water drinkable generally? Purification tablets advisable?

Up to you, I prefer to use a filter based on one bad experience but plenty of others have lived to tell the tale. Don't take it near the popular snow holing areas North of the summit of cairngorm though for obvious reasons.
Trowel - is plastic any good?

Depends on where you are digging, it can be quite gravely high up.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby davekeiller » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:50 pm

Crampons and ice axes are not required in September.

It's a judgement call as to whether water from burns is drinkable or requires treatment. Generally, the higher up you are, the safer it's likely to be.

A plastic trowel might be OK, but I'd prefer a metal one.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby prog99 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:58 pm

prog99 wrote:North of the summit of cairngorm though for obvious reasons..

Meant south of the summit!
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby weesmudge » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:04 pm

Nae need for winter kit in September unless this global warming keeps going the way it has of late
As for drinking water oot the burns personal choice but from higher glens and fast flowing shouldn’t cause any dodgy stomach
weesmudge
Munro compleatist

Munros:134   Corbetts:4

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:32 am

Late September often has frosts but seldom snow, though high up in the Cairngorms it can, and does, snow all through the year, though it doesn't lie until November usually. As ever, you just have to judge by the weather conditions at the time. Water is fine from fast-moving burns but not low-lying rivers where animal dung ends up in the water, and human cesspits drain into the river. As the soil is very stoney I'd advise a steel trowel. At least the midgies are likely to have died off by then, and the length of daylight is still reasonable until the end of October.

Lairig Ghru#5b.jpg
Cairngorms from Black Bridge, Glen Lui

Autumnal pics 001#a.jpg
Autumn Waterfall

Canoeing Loch Morlich#p.JPG
Canoeing on Loch Morlich near Aviemore
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby bydand_loon » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:42 pm

I used a plastic trowel for years without a drama, although as stated the tops would probably be a chore, im never on them long enough to leave a deposit so cant actually remember ever having used it on top. I recently switched to using an MSR snow/sand stake with some teeth cut on one side, it's a lot lighter and so seems to get through everything.

Water, I'm an au naturel lad, but carry a filter for the lowlands, although on the CWT recently my wife came storming down a wee hill behind Glendhu bothy to tell me some minker had taken a sh!te in the wee burn that runs down to the bothy, filthy, disgusting sc@m. Loads of folk will replenish there
bydand_loon
Hill Bagger

Postby Marty_JG » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:38 am

Not all plastic trowels are equal. The (in)famous bright orange Coogans one is ubiquitous, but the GSI Outdoors Cathole Trowel is unbelievably strong, serrated teeth to help cutting-in, great handle and plenty of surface area to scoop. It's an ounce or two heavier than some others, but at 85 grams and a tenner it's hard to beat.

Personally I don't like the idea of consuming too many water purification tablets so I went with a Sawyer filter. Lightweight and (just about) endlessly reusable. But at that time of year care that it doesn't freeze.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby rockhopper » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:08 am

Another vote for the GSI Outdoors Cathole Trowel and Sawyer mini filter (also after a bad episode a while back).
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Touringscot » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:28 pm

Got to post a big thank you for all the info and advice i got on this website. our first walk was amazing - a true lifetime experience. Walk reports helped us put together a wonderful two day tour through Glen Derry, over Ben Macdhui and return (after a night out) through Lhairig Ghru - perfect for us. Equipment all worked really well - Katadyn water filter greatly reassuring (and no upset tummies!) and very easy to use, metal tentlab trowel also great and im not sure plastic would have been strong enough. Cant wait to plan next trip. Thanks all.
Touringscot
Mountaineer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk