walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Repairing Scarpa B2 boot heel

Repairing Scarpa B2 boot heel

Postby Fractral » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:55 pm

I've had a pair of Scarpa Manta Pro's for about a year after my last pair of B2's wore out. They've seen very heavy use in that time, summer and winter (as I've been too lazy to buy a pair of summer boots). Recently they've developed holes in the heels, both boots, about the size of a 20p coin.

My question is whether it's possible to repair them? DIY would be ideal, although it seems most repair tools are designed around small rips and tears rather than large holes. I'm not sure if it would be cost effective (or even possible) to get them fixed at a repair shop, since most don't list prices for actual repair to the boot structure.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Fractral
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:71
Fionas:47   Donalds:28+8
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:114
Wainwrights:121   Islands:5

Re: Repairing Scarpa B2 boot heel

Postby Fractral » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:34 pm

Fractral wrote:I've had a pair of Scarpa Manta Pro's for about a year after my last pair of B2's wore out. They've seen very heavy use in that time, summer and winter (as I've been too lazy to buy a pair of summer boots). Recently they've developed holes in the heels, both boots, about the size of a 20p coin.

My question is whether it's possible to repair them? DIY would be ideal, although it seems most repair tools are designed around small rips and tears rather than large holes. I'm not sure if it would be cost effective (or even possible) to get them fixed at a repair shop, since most don't list prices for actual repair to the boot structure.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Not sure how to edit the above - I have walked between 2000 and 2500km in the boots. So I do understand if the answer is, 'You've used them too heavily, buy a new pair'.
Fractral
Munro compleatist

Postby prog99 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:58 pm

Any pictures? You can get them resoled if the uppers are in good nick.
I managed to coax a pair of climbing shoes into a few months of extra life with shoe goo.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby jmarkb » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:20 am

Unless DIY is feasible, you have to weigh up the cost of a professional repair versus the likelihood that some other failure (toe, lining, waterproofing) will occur soon. It takes me about 3 years to get through that sort of mileage but I reckon that’s about the useful lifetime of a pair of boots.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Fractral » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:42 pm

jmarkb wrote:Unless DIY is feasible, you have to weigh up the cost of a professional repair versus the likelihood that some other failure (toe, lining, waterproofing) will occur soon. It takes me about 3 years to get through that sort of mileage but I reckon that’s about the useful lifetime of a pair of boots.

Yeah, after a discussion with someone who knows about such things I think it's unreasonable to expect any boots to last much more than 2000km. Though the upper is in a decent state the sole isn't, so paying £100+ to repair the heel probably isn't economical.

I'll just take this as a lesson to not wear expensive winter boots year round!
Fractral
Munro compleatist

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk