walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Camping essentials

Camping essentials

Postby Stables89 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:43 am

Hi

Fairly new to hill walking and I'm looking to do my first solo (with the dog :lol: ) summit camp in between multiple munros.

fancy the cairn toul - braeriach traverse.

What are they essentials that I should pack? obiously don't want to over do it and have too much stuff to carry.

been looking and one of the vango tents for a while. are there any cheaper alternatives that are still good quality?

also any sleeping bag recommendations would be great.

Thanks
Stables89
Mountain Walker

Re: Camping essentials

Postby Marty_JG » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:53 pm

Here's my pack list from my recent Cowal Way hike, have a look through for ideas.

https://lighterpack.com/r/chvhjt

Cheap light tents include Vango, but also look at Chinese brands Naturehike and LanShan.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:33 am

Stables89 wrote: What are they essentials that I should pack? obiously don't want to over do it and have too much stuff to carry.
been looking and one of the vango tents for a while. are there any cheaper alternatives that are still good quality?
also any sleeping bag recommendations would be great.
Thanks

There is a great temptation to carry far too much kit, too much food, etc. I have little changes which make a difference; don't take an enormous bulky toilet roll, this is too bulky, embarrassing and if/when it gets wet it is useless. It is also not much use for anything but your butt. packets of paper hankies come individually wrapped and so retain a certain waterproofness. They can be used for various things and do not take up much room. A small pocket radio helps cheer you up in the evenings and is very light to carry. A lantern type light as well as the headtorch cheers up your tent. Oxo cubes and hot chocolate sachets make nice hot drinks but do not have the diuretic effects of tea or coffee. A flask which you can fill with hot water before you go to sleep so you don't have to light up the stove in the middle of the night for a hot drink. Little snacks which you might not eat at home but out in your tent or on the hills seem a delight - cheese and crackers, maybe some salami. That reminds me - some indigestion tablets as this condition can really spoil your day/night. Spare thick woolly socks make all the difference. Big knee-length ones with padded soles, heels and toes, available from huntin',shootin', fishin' tackle shops. Sunglasses, lip-balm, a hat with a skip to keep the sun/sleet out of your eyes, gloves even in summer, etc.
As for sleeping bags, there is an everlasting debate on the merits/demerits of synthetic fibre versus natural down. I live in Scotland so I'll be going with synthetic fibre every time. It is slightly less light but keeps you warm even when damp, down is great until it gets damps, then it all clumps together and you have no warmth at all. A three-season bag is fine unless you plan to camp out in sub-zero temperatures. Tents have their limitations, no matter how well made. I had a Vango 2000 which was nice but it died in a storm at Sligachan. So did every other tent on the site. Ensure the mesh it "midgie mesh", not just mosquito mesh or the midgies will sail through without touching the sides. Good luck and enjoy!

Glen Etive#4#r.jpg
Glen Etive Antler
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby gaffr » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:40 pm

Perhaps useful to camp at a lower elevation prior to going high....you can still complete your traverse but with a camp lower down. Could be that you have already camped lower down....but when you ask about purchasing a tent?
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby Caberfeidh » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:11 pm

Of course, a pair of bolt-cutters, strong alcohol, firearms and a lassaiz-faire attitude to the rule of law can brighten up a dull trip...
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk