walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Getting gas canisters around Tyndrum/Crianlarich

Getting gas canisters around Tyndrum/Crianlarich

Postby benoahb » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:43 pm

Dear walk-highlanders,

For context and giggles, we are planning with friends to hike the West Highland Way from the Bridge of Orchy to Fort William before moving on to the Glenfinnan variant of the Cape Wrath Trail, stoping at Morvich to jump to the Isle of Skye, essentially trying to get the best out of everything.

We will be arriving by plane at Glasgow Airport and will take the bus that drops us at Bridge of Orchy. Only issue is that we will have to get gas canisters and basic groceries between the airport and Bridge of Orchy. According to Google Map, several villages on the way have basic grocery stores, including Crianlarich or Tyndrum. We could easily jump off the bus and shop until the next bus arrives.

Can we expect to find any gas canister there? If so, what type of gas canister should we expect (screw, easy clic, pierceable...?)? Nothing would be more frustrating and wasting our time than to find no canister or one that doesn't fit or stove...

Bonus question, any good place to taste whisky on our itinerary? :D

Thanks,
Ben
benoahb
Scrambler

Re: Getting gas canisters around Tyndrum/Crianlarich

Postby nick70 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:14 pm

I'm not sure about Crianlarich, I have never ventured there the times I have done WHW. Tyndrum however does have The Green Welly Stop and they stock all kinds of camping sundries. I can't say for certain they do gas as I've never needed it, but I would be amazed if they didn't.

There is also camp site in Tyndrum, By The Way I believe it is called. They have an onsite shop and I would imagine they may well sell that kind of thing.

As for distilleries I know Fort William has the Nevis distillery.

Enjoy your trip when it comes, it actually sounds like a belter.

ATB

Nick
nick70

Postby prog99 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:15 pm

The wee shop in Crianlarich stocks gas, best give them a phone to check they stock the correct type although from memory they had all the common fittings.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Marty_JG » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:19 pm

Tyndrum is a great resupply point.

The fear of gas cannister replacement is the reason I haven't bothered with them. I watch watching a vlog from Darwin On The Trail about this year's TGO Challenge and he needed to take a train-trip from Kingussie to Aviemore to get a new canister. You might invest in a cheap alcohol stove as backup? You can make them from trash or import one from China for about $3.

Every pub you'll encounter will have good whisky. If you can get to a Lidl you'll get some great bottles for £17.50, if you bring a plastic bladder you can decant into that. You'll not get better for the price.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:14 am

Tyndrum would be the better place for supplies,including gas canisters and /or methylated spirits for a spirit burner - as Marty has said they are a better option. Also pubs along the way do meals for reasonable prices, my favourites being the Bridge of Orchy Hotel (they do a nice steak pie), the Kingshouse Hotel on Rannoch Moor near Glen Coe, the ski area cafe at Glen Coe Mountain Resort a mile or so from the Kingshouse, the Clachaig Inn in Glen Coe, in Fort William the choice is great but the quality is poor. I found a nice wee cafe that does a brilliant Thai chicken curry, but I'm keeping that to myself... Whisky is everywhere, don't buy the very expensive stuff it's not worth it. Arisaig is worth a visit, on the road out to Mallaig, the Arisaig Hotel is good for food and drinks, also a bit of live folk music on a Friday night. There is a campsite on a farm up the hill from the village, called Back of Keppoch. Basic, with toiet and shower, water taps, that's about it. At least it is cheap and not too far to walk to the pub. From Arisiag you can hitch-hike, or catch a bus or train to Mallaig, gateway to the Isle of Skye (and other islands, be careful to board the correct ferry).
Attachments
Dunvegan seals close up.jpg
Seals at Dunvegan, Skye.
west coast and viking Sept 07 082#r.jpg
Camping near Kingshouse
Rannoch Moor R.jpg
Rannoch Moor
002 postcard Buchaille r.jpg
Blackrock Cottage near Glen Coe
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Giant Stoneater » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:24 am

About 4 years ago we tried to get gas cannisters at all the outlets in Tyndrum and not one place had any as they had all ran out of them,so I would not leave it till the last moment.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:07 pm

I'm sure the wee shop in Glen Coe does them too. And the filling station shop in Glen Coe. Or you could build a fire. Or cadge a shot on someone else's stove. Or even just eat cereal. What time of year will you be doing this?
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Marty_JG » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:21 pm

Building a fire isn't as outrageous as it seems, Lixada are doing a tidy wee 200 gram titanium fire box for £15, only needs a few twigs to get a brew going.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:21 pm

I was thinking of something more like this:
015aR.jpg

Bothy Fire#2R.jpg

BloodVikings#r.jpg
Up-helly-helluvaparty
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Moondancer » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:25 am

You've a shopping opportunity IN Glasgow Airport as there's a wee Tesco Extra to the left of domestic arrivals that carries a reasonable range of stuff. The gas canisters are the only thing they won't have, but others have covered where you can get those.
Moondancer
Rambler

Munros:79   Corbetts:8
Fionas:6   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:8   Islands:10

Postby benoahb » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:47 pm

Thanks everyone. I contacted directly the stores in Tyndrum and Crianlarich to make sure we'll find the gas canister we need.
benoahb
Scrambler

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk