walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Maintenance of Nubuck Boots

Maintenance of Nubuck Boots

Postby Mini Mac » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:54 pm

I've searched and searched the forum and Google for this question, but haven't managed to find an answer, so apologies if it's hiding here somewhere.

I recently bought a pair of Hanwag boots, which are nubuck. After some research I think I've settled on Grangers Gear Cleaner and Repel for keeping them clean and waterproof. However, I am unsure how to go about conditioning the leather without ruining the appearance of the nubuck, or if it is entirely necessary.

I've seen people choosing to use leather conditioner (and ultimately losing the nubuck appearance) and others choosing to proof the boots with spray only. So, is cleaning and proofing the boots sufficient enough to keep in them in good condition for a substantial period of time, or does one have to bite the bullet and accept that the nubuck appearance will need to be lost? Similarly, are there any recommended products which will condition the nubuck with limited change to the appearance (or would roughing it up with a brush suffice)?

Just trying to ensure I get the most out of these boots, but would like to keep their intended appearance as long as possible, too!
Mini Mac

Munros:3   
Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:1

Re: Maintenance of Nubuck Boots

Postby mrssanta » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:59 pm

any cream/oil/wax will make your nubuck look like normal leather. Spray such as Scotchguard will keep it looking like nubuck but it is not really designed for heavy duty boots, more for "normal" shoes to guard against normal rain and town puddles.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Sack the Juggler » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:11 pm

https://www.hanwag.com/handcrafted-with-passion/shoe-care/

DRY LEATHER NEEDS MOISTURIZING

Use special wax (no grease or oil). Massage a thin coat of wax into the dry leather.

Please note: Nubuck, suede or other split leather will darken slightly and become smoother every time you apply wax. If you don’t like this effect, you can always roughen up the leather again with a special suede brush. Simply brush off any excess wax.

Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:43 pm

The couple of pairs of Meindls I've had using nubuck have just ended up getting waxed. I didn't find it to be a problem seeing as it darkens when it gets wet anyway, which is 100% of the time I wear them.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:21   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Gareth Harper » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:24 pm

I have a pair of Altberg Nordkapp which are made with Nubuk leather.
I just waxed them with Altberg Leder-Gris and they now have a full waxed finish like any other boot.
Gareth Harper

Munros:204   Corbetts:83
Fionas:26   Donalds:50
Sub 2000:6   

Postby hbeevers » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:02 pm

Nikwax do a spong-on re-proofer for nubuck that maintains breathability. Works fine as long as you clean the boot before application.

I've got a pair of nubuck Altbergs which I waxed. More water repellent and still as breathable. The gore-tex liner is going to be the limiting factor anyway...
hbeevers
Mountaineer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk