walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Rab Jacket Repair

Rab Jacket Repair

Postby willwright111 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:13 pm

Has anyone on this forum used the Rab Jacket repair service? I managed to rip mine whilst out at the weekend but I'm sceptical if its going to be as good afterwards
willwright111
Mountaineer

Re: Rab Jacket Repair

Postby Lournieloon » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:34 pm

Can't speak for Rab repairs but I had occasion to use Paramo and £30 to repair a rip on one sleeve was reasonable on a £200 + jacket. Only bitch was on the time it took, thankfully twas whilst jacket was not required 🙄
Lournieloon
Mountaineer

Postby prog99 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:22 pm

Paramo is very repairable, a bit different from other fabrics.

Will, how long is the tear and what fabric is it?
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby RocksRock » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:41 pm

I haven't recent experience of their service, but several years ago I had my eyes on one of their windshirts but the sleeves were waaaaay too long. Phoned their customer service, explained - they said buy it, post it to us with letter saying how much to shorten the sleeves and we'll fix it. Did as instructed, it appeared virtually by return and no charge............and it has perfomed very well. The past may not be a guide to the present but might be worth giving them a try.
RocksRock

Munros:4   Corbetts:7
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:26   Islands:8

Postby WalkWithWallace » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:03 am

If it's out of warranty then try Scottish Mountain Gear, ask their lead time though, might be a 2-4 week turnaround:

https://www.scottishmountaingear.com/repair-service
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:193
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby Sack the Juggler » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:47 am

I've used Patagonia repair service quite a bit, and I suspect that the outcome will be similar. If its a small tear, they will match up a patch to it and while you will know its there, it will be a good match and the patch will be prepared and stuck on much better than anything you could do yourself, so it will be long lasting.
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:02 am

Get a roll of sail-repair fabric tape from a yachty chandlers, and stick it on then stitch it. All the best hill people have patches on their jackets. My old down jacket used to be patched like an American quilt and leave a trail of down hanging in the air like snow.

Climbers#1rc.jpg
Patches are cool.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk