walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Memory Map 2800 GPS

Memory Map 2800 GPS

Postby HIGHLANDER9 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:57 am

Hello All,

Please excuse my ignorance here, I have memory map V5 and maps installed on my PC and use it in conjunction with my old Garmin etrex summit (grey legacy Mod) for track overlay data etc.
However just recently I have been offered the opportunity to purchase a Memory map Adventurer 2800 GPS with all the accessories minus the PC software, is the missing software simply the V5 software I already have? Or is it something extra and essential to operate the unit and communicate with the PC?.

Thank you in advance of any reply.

Regards Steve G
HIGHLANDER9
Munro compleatist

Munros:112   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:8   

Re: Memory Map 2800 GPS

Postby Marty_JG » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:38 am

I've never used a Memory Map but it appears the software appears to be available on their site and is currently v6.

https://www.memory-map.co.uk/learn-more

Options there for PC, Mac, Android, Apple

You could always contact them to confirm

https://www.memory-map.co.uk/contact-us
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby HIGHLANDER9 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:52 pm

Thanks Marty,

I will investigate further, if anyone else knows the answer to this, I'd be much obliged.

Thanks again.

Steve G.
HIGHLANDER9
Munro compleatist

Munros:112   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:8   

Postby crfishwick » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:06 am

HIGHLANDER9 wrote:Thanks Marty,

I will investigate further, if anyone else knows the answer to this, I'd be much obliged.

Thanks again.

Steve G.

Iv'e used MM for years although the Adventurer 2800 is old hat nowadays and there could be certain problems with it and can be got for £30 on Ebay.

Suggest using a Smart Phone and use MM on that actually. Your software should work perfectly. That's from someone who usually recommends a dedicated GPS over a phone everytime!
crfishwick

Postby Marty_JG » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:10 pm

The Adventurer 2800 seems to be a contemporary of the Garmin Oregon 450, each a 2010 release or thereabouts, and that's the unit I have (thanks to a donation). I love it to bits. It's a workhorse. I can't speak for the MM range but the Garmin units can work for years on end.

One big advantage of a dedicated unit has is water resistance; my borrowed Android phone, full of fantastic GPS and outdoorsy apps (such as star maps), drowned in horizontal rain on Ben Lomond. And it was such a glorious, cloud-free sunny day in the carpark! Yes, now I know "ziplock bag", but that starts to make things fiddly.

Of course if you have a phone with a high waterproof rating this won't be as much of an issue.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk