walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Full outfit recommendations

Full outfit recommendations

Postby Griffin79 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:41 am

Hi all

I'm fairly new to walking/hiking as a hobby. I've been mainly doing day walks in places like the trossachs ranging from 6 to 12 miles depending on what time I have. These don't involve high hills, munros etc so I don't need any 'climbing' type gear. Basically I'm looking for recommendations for a good all round outfit that I can adapt depending on the weather by adding or removing layers. I splashed out on a really good pair of walking boots which I'm happy with but need recommendations for trousers, under garments, over garments, jacket etc. Even what socks to wear. At the moment I am basically just walking in cargo pants, t shirt and fleece with a cheap waterproof cagoule and over trousers for rain. I'd like to purchase a few key items now so I have some proper gear. Thanks
Griffin79
Mountaineer

Re: Full outfit recommendations

Postby davekeiller » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:14 pm

Some of these things are hard to recommend as clothes need to fit you as an individual.

Having said that:
Bridgedale or Smartwool socks
Montane terra trousers
Baselayer tops you can take your pick. Synthetic is cheaper but will pong a bit after use. Merino is expensive and takes a bit longer to dry, but won't pick up odours. Bamboo is also good.
keep your current fleece for now
Waterproof jacket - there's a huge array on the market. You don't need anything too flashy, have a look at what's in the sale for between about £100 and £200. Plenty of "what jacket?" threads on this forum. Get one that fits you comfortably and has pockets that you like.
Underwear - see the "best male underwear" thread. I prefer the modal blend from M&S, although there are others available. I find that bamboo based fibres are more wicking than cotton but don't cost too much.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Sack the Juggler » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:30 am

Hi Griffin and welcome to the forum and also to your new hobby!

The first thing to note is that there is a massive industry trying to get you to buy the lightest and the best in everything from jackets to gloves, try to resist the temptation where you can. :D

Socks, another for bridgedale or smartwool, there are loads of different options within these, but a midweight hiking sock should suit most purposes.

I also like the Montane Terra trousers, and also the Salomon Wayfarer trousers, but craghopper, columbia, etc are all good too. The most important thing is finding a pair that fit you well. Use the sales to find a bargain.

Waterproof jacket - there are many to choose from and many different types of waterproof barrier, from the Paramo directional "pump", to conventional barriers like goretex, neoshell, eVent, and many proprietary brands suchs as marmots memBrain system. My advice is to get one that fits and suits your purpose.

In the race to save weight a lot of jackets have moved to an "alpine" cut, which is basically a high waist cut which doesn't cover your nether regions, which can get a good soaking in the rain, so I prefer a longer jacket. And preferable something lightweight and easy to stow in your backpack for when its too warm to wear it as barrier type jackets can trap in sweat when you are working hard, so if its not needed, you'll want to stow it. Loads of products out there, but aim for the sales and try a few on until you find something that fits you and covers your nads.

But you might want a thin windproof jacket to keep the wind chill off you. these are not waterproof, but offer a bit of protection against light rain, they are a lot more breathable than waterproofs and they can be very light as its just a layer to keep wind off. Aim for something like a running jacket, with or without the hood that are very light but breathable.

Warmth - keep the fleece for now. there are lots and lots of deals on down or synthetic fibres around now, but you need your waterproofs first.

Waterproof overtrousers, something like Berghaus deluges are ok, something with a long or even full length zipper will let you get them on easier when the heavens open and you need to don them quickly.

Base layers - anything that isn't cotton will do, so look at cheap running gear or to the sales. I have a mixture of long sleaves and short sleeves depending on the weather, so if its windy, I'll tend to wear long sleeves so I can avoid putting the windshirt / windjacket on for as long as possible.

Hat and gloves and buff. Hat - a light beanie will cover most situations. Gloves, I tend to go for a lightweight waterproof glove, or a windproof glove. In the autumn or winter you can invest in thicker gloves. A buff - get a proper one as the imitations are not as good, they can be used in many different conditions and they are great.

Something to put it all in. If you are doing mostly day walks, then I'd suggest something around 30ish litres, basically something that will hold your waterproofs, windproofs, fleece, hat & gloves, camera, water and food. I like the Osprey Talon 33, its very lightweight and holds a tremendous amount of gear, but there are others on the market. You don't need ones with loads of pockets everywhere, these add weight and are also something else that can go wrong. Try to buy one with a built in rain cover.

Maps, compass, and the knowledge to use them are vital too.
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby bydand_loon » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:33 am

Theres so much choice in everything these days and everybody has their own favourites and woe betide anyone who dares to voice a different opinion, for example I dislike paramo intently, but there's actually folk out there who like it :?

Be aware of online shop reviews, as most are filled in a week or so after the purchase and before the item has seen any actual action.

Never pay full price, theres pretty much always a cheaper deal, sale or discount code going. Full price is usually for this years colour.

The hardest item for me, is socks, one of the most underrated items,, I've been through them all, usually always went back to bridgdale, but a year or two back, someone put me onto darn tough micro crew hikers, I think I've found my sock, after 30 years of looking
bydand_loon
Hill Bagger

Postby Griffin79 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:43 pm

Excellent, just what I needed. I have ordered bridgedale all season socks and the montane terra trousers. I have also spotted a berghaus arrow 30l backpack which I like the look of but will shop around a bit more to find the cheapest. I was thinking of buying a wee first aid kit just in case it's needed at any point so any recommendations for this would be welcome as well. I also think a whistle might be sensible.

Thanks
Griffin79
Mountaineer

Postby bydand_loon » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:11 pm

FAK, a wee ziplock bag from the kitchen with a couple of plasters, couple of compeed and/or a strip of zinc oxide tape, tick remover, think I have a strip of 5 butterfly stiches, (just in case I need to help a butterfly in distress). Reckon just about everything else can be improvised.

Whistle often comes as part of your rucksack/daypack chest strap, not something I carry tbh
bydand_loon
Hill Bagger

Postby Marty_JG » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:20 pm

First aid, I'd add some hand sanitiser, some sanitising wipes, and a some antiseptic cream. You'll find mini versions of all these things once you start looking.

A whistle is really essential kit to have.

Another is a light of some kind, a headlamp will free your arms and let you focus on a descent in the dark - even if (or especially if) you hadn't planned on walking in the dark, the hours are shortening rapidly. Petzl, Black Diamond, Olight, Fenix are all well known brands. You should double check it has an emergency blink function but from what I've seen it's pretty much a standard to have anyway.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby Sack the Juggler » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:29 am

Griffin79 wrote:Excellent, just what I needed. I have ordered bridgedale all season socks and the montane terra trousers. I have also spotted a berghaus arrow 30l backpack which I like the look of but will shop around a bit more to find the cheapest. I was thinking of buying a wee first aid kit just in case it's needed at any point so any recommendations for this would be welcome as well. I also think a whistle might be sensible.

Thanks

best try trousers and jacket on if you can.

A map, compass and the knowledge to use them is also very needful and sensible. :D
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby regedmunds » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:43 pm

When I started hiking I bought the 'best,' I now realise my expenditure was totally unnecessary. I now divide my clothing into two distinct groups, anything to do with rain and wet is one group, everything else (hot, cold, windy etc) is the other group.

In my 'hot, cold and windy' group I take two baselayers, bamboo being my preference, merino makes me itch! A hiking shirt, a warm jacket (synthetic) maybe another warm full zip cardigan (depends on what I'm expecting or I just play safe) and the most IMPORTANT clothing item of all, my windshell! In my case a Rab Vital, worth its weight in gold! For me, wind, especially cold wind is my number one enemy. I have two hats, one for the summer, with a rim to stop my ears becoming sunburned and one hat, a Lowe Alpine which is warm and covers my ears in the winter.

For all types of rain, I use a £15 long Champion waterproof coat, works a treat! A great versatile hood to boot. My Rab gaiters are essential to wear on my hikes, the rain just flows off my coat, onto my Rab's and onto the floor! I recently had a day when it rained stair-rods as 5 - 10 minutes showers, my coat was on and off about 20 times but my coat kept me totally dry! My other, more expensive alternative is my Marmot Precip jacket and my rain-skirt, homemade by one of my wife's friends, cost me a tenner for the Silnylon. On and off in a few seconds. I do not wear waterproof trousers, the one item for me to ruin a good walk!

I also carry a spare pair of old trainer inserts, which I put in my boots if my feet get wet (my waterproof boots leak but I can't rember where I bought them from?) and two pairs of thin socks and two pairs of thick socks. I play around with combinations as my feet swell with the walking effort. Plus two pairs of £5 Decathlon boxer type underwear, so very comfirtable, hard wearing, easy to wash and quick to dry!
regedmunds

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk