walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Four season one man tent

Four season one man tent

Postby abs70 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:08 am

Hi,

Any advice on a good four season one man tent - I'm currently torn between the Atko and the Terra Nova Southern Cross. I like the head room on the southern cross but appreciate Hilleberg's reputation - although a mate had one and pitching always looked a bit fiddly... anyways, any thoughts? Or left field ideas always appreciated.
Cheers
abs70
Mountain Walker

Munros:167   
Hewitts:97
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Four season one man tent

Postby Caberfeidh » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:44 am

I had a Saunders Spacepacker which was very good in all weathers, dunno if they still make them. Fiddliness of pitching is a terrible drawback in Midgie Season.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Scottk » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:55 pm

Tarptent Scarp 1 if you can get one. Get the optional crossing poles and it is very stable. Lots of room inside too. 2 doors and 2 vestibules.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby crfishwick » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:58 am

Caberfeidh wrote:I had a Saunders Spacepacker which was very good in all weathers, dunno if they still make them. Fiddliness of pitching is a terrible drawback in Midgie Season.

Showing your age there. :D Saunders went out of business in the early or late nineties. Used to be the best tents on the market and would beat these modern tents handsdown.
crfishwick

Postby bydand_loon » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:35 am

Scottk wrote:Tarptent Scarp 1 if you can get one. Get the optional crossing poles and it is very stable. Lots of room inside too. 2 doors and 2 vestibules.

+1 great tent

that has nothing to do with me possibly about to put mine on ebay :D
bydand_loon
Hill Bagger

Postby Thatcastrochap » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:13 pm

bydand_loon wrote:
Scottk wrote:Tarptent Scarp 1 if you can get one. Get the optional crossing poles and it is very stable. Lots of room inside too. 2 doors and 2 vestibules.

+1 great tent

Bydand_loon. - that a serious plan to sell it? Because I’m looking for a new tent...
Thatcastrochap

Postby Scottk » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:42 pm

There’s a brand new scarp 1 with crossing poles just been put on eBay for £350.
If it is the latest one, it has a couple of improvements with the vents being at the top of the doors and the doors have 2 way zips.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby WalkWithWallace » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:15 am

MSR Access 1. 8)
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby bydand_loon » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:50 am

Thatcastrochap wrote:
bydand_loon wrote:

+1 great tent

Bydand_loon. - that a serious plan to sell it? Because I’m looking for a new tent...

swithering about it as I'm planning on changing my single tent down to a DCF one (when I find the right one for me) to half my shelter weight, but I keep reading message boards and reviews where folk regret selling their scarp.

The one mentioned above on ebay was a cracking price considering it was unused, with the crossing poles, seam sealed, no import tax or fees etc, was pretty amazed how long it was there for considering it was a BiN sale
bydand_loon
Hill Bagger

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk