walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Paramo questions please.

Re: Paramo questions please.

Postby regedmunds » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:15 pm

I have a Paramo Alta 2, don't like it, too warm in the summer and I was never confident that it was waterproof, plus it was a silly price, I paid £200 at the time. When the zip broke last year I gave up on it completely. What a fool I was! I then bought a Marmot Precip single skin jacket, much better but when that stopped being waterproof I had a complete rethink about keeping dry and bought a £15 Champion waterproof jacket. Its the only jacket that DOES keep me dry!
regedmunds

Postby Veryhappybunny » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:40 pm

Hi
My DH has had a Velez jacket for the last year and a half and has been very pleased with it and found it really waterproof, despite some wet days out.

I have an Andina jacket which I have had for 5 years and also like. It is quite warm and not the lightest but does have good venting. I have recently bought an Alize windproof jacket to take on the hill on the days when the forecast says it is not going to rain so will be interested to see how it does. If my 25+ year old mountain equipment ultra fleece jacket every does finally wear out, I'll try replacing it with a paramo fleece to see how the fleece/windproof combo works.

I am now on my second pair of Paramo trousers - the original Cascadas were great and lasted over 5 years - Paramo even sent me patches to repair them when they got torn and I got a £50 trade in for them. The new Cascadas don't seem to have as articulated a shape at the knee so I am trying Velez ones - which so far have been good.
Veryhappybunny
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:158
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:90
Wainwrights:163   Islands:8

Postby regedmunds » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:08 pm

I bought and never liked my Paramo Alta 2, too hot and heavy in the warmer months, doesn't fold up small enough to stash in my rucksack, too slippery to fold neatly and I was never convinced it was waterproof. If it was why was I always wet inside, condensation I was told, that's when I gave up on it and it's now in my garage gathering dust.
regedmunds

Postby Marty_JG » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:11 pm

regedmunds wrote:I bought and never liked my Paramo Alta 2, too hot and heavy in the warmer months, doesn't fold up small enough to stash in my rucksack, too slippery to fold neatly and I was never convinced it was waterproof. If it was why was I always wet inside, condensation I was told, that's when I gave up on it and it's now in my garage gathering dust.

If you really don't like or want it, you should consider selling it on. There might be someone out there thrilled to get one at a less-than-RRP and love it to bit - and it'll help mitigate some of the money you spent.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby davekeiller » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:24 pm

Paramo also have a recycling scheme. Send them your old jacket and you can get a discount on something new (doesn't have to be a waterproof, could be anything from their clothing range).
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk