walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Paramo questions please.

Paramo questions please.

Postby StewF » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:00 pm

Are the thinner looking jackets (quito, velez etc ) as weather proof as the heavier ones (Alta , endure etc) ?

Has anybody tried the fleece and windproof combinations ? Are they as weather proof ?

Thank you for any help
StewF
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:7
Fionas:8   Donalds:10

Re: Paramo questions please.

Postby Skyelines » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:54 pm

I can't comment on the waterproofs as the only Paramo garments I have are the Fuera windproof and a Halcon Traveller jacket.

Fuera Windproof: I have reproofed this a number of times with Nikwax TX Direct wash in and as a showerproof jacket it works very well.
I have worn it with a fleece (not a Paramo one) for around four hours of light rain. The jacket did eventually start to absorb water and the fleece was damp but not wet by the end of the walk.
My conclusion - for a full day of light rain or a few hours of heavy rain it wouldn't be my first choice.
Skyelines
Wanderer

Postby davekeiller » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:15 pm

The lighter weight jackets are, in my experience, weatherproof.
The fleece and windproof combinations are OK, but because the seams aren't taped you will get wet eventually.
Obviously all this assumes you clean and re-proof the jackets every so often.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby jamiecopeland » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:22 pm

I have the men’s velez jacket.

In warm conditions I often found myself taking off layers which were then rather bulky to fit in my rucksack. A friend of mine has a Paramo jacket and swore by it, so I eventually had a look at one for myself. Whilst the jacket was expensive I have found it to be superb quality. Always keeps me warm and dry. It’s wind and waterproof. Plenty of air vents to let cool air in, too if necessary. More often than not I just have one thin layer on under the jacket and find that’s sufficient.

Expensive, but superb quality. It’ll hopefully last many years to come. I can highly recommend. Paramo also have an ethical background for those so minded.
jamiecopeland

Postby WalkWithWallace » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:38 am

They won't be quite as warm, but warm enough and still waterproof. I find Paramo too hot for most of the year, but my Velez smock comes out in late autumn through winter and I only wear a merino base layer under it.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:195
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby Sack the Juggler » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:28 am

WalkWithWallace wrote:They won't be quite as warm, but warm enough and still waterproof. I find Paramo too hot for most of the year, but my Velez smock comes out in late autumn through winter and I only wear a merino base layer under it.
This ^ I like Paramo gear and I have some fantastic items, but I find a lot of their gear to be too hot to wear. I run warm anyway, so even the quito feels like an insulated jacket to me. Its fine if you are on top of a mountain in spring or autumn as you might need the additional warmth there, but if you're starting your walk at sea level, or even in a valley and you've got a long sweaty climb, the warmth of the directional fabric just overwhelms me, and I cannot wear it so its useless for most conditions (and I stress that this is for me, not for others).

I also find that some of their fits of their clothing were a bit weird in the past, with the arms too long or too tight for the same size garments. But I've persevered and either found stuff that fits or had it altered to fit (I'm tall with long arms, but sometimes the arms are still two or three inches too long on me).

Anyway, that's my view of Paramo, I love the idea of it, but I find that its uses are limited to me.
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:50 pm

I have the Velez smock (women's version actually!).

It's done about 10 years now, no problems.

I must admit I never quite understand the "too hot".

I simply wear the Paramo with nothing underneath, and it is perfect for three season conditions from sea level to summit. If the day gets warm, I take it off and put on a thin Merino from Aldi.

In winter, I wear the Paramo with the Aldi Merino under it. That simple combo has been totally warm and weatherproof in full-on Scottish winter conditions - high winds, blizzards etc.

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby Sack the Juggler » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:31 pm

If the day gets warm, I take it off and put on a thin Merino from Aldi
What do you do if its warm and raining? :D

Its great that you can wear it without getting too hot, so fair play. Interesting that it gives you insulation in full on winter conditions with just a base layer underneath, and its fine in warmer conditions too. For me its close to a cold weather jacket only.

I usually wear just a base layer on top unless its winter, if its raining intermittently then I'll put on a thin layer over it (not waterproof) unless the rain gets heavy or persistent then I'll put a waterproof layer on. I get hot when climbing up them hills, probably due to me being heavy and unfit.
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:15 pm

Sack the Juggler wrote:What do you do if its warm and raining?

I take off merino and/or Paramo and put them in my rucksack to keep them dry. Then when the rain stops or if I start to feel cold, I use the outer side of the Paramo to dry myself, then put it on. Due to the wicking, me and the coat are both quickly dry.

My sartorial style has been remarked on by fellow walkers.

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Postby StewF » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:43 pm

HalfManHalfTitanium wrote:I have the Velez smock (women's version actually!).

Is the women's long enough for gents ?

Thank you for all the replies , very helpful
StewF
Mountaineer

Postby prog99 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:51 am

TBH, if I know it'll be coldish and wet but I'll be moving most the time then I'll wear my paramo other wise its the hardshell and minimum clothing.
I've an aspiro jacket in medium if anyone wants it, I use a smock now.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby WalkWithWallace » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:30 am

HalfManHalfTitanium wrote:I must admit I never quite understand the "too hot"

Some people just run a bit hotter than others. Cold taties seem to wear Paramo all year round. :lol:
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:195
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:06 am

WalkWithWallace wrote:
HalfManHalfTitanium wrote:I must admit I never quite understand the "too hot"

Some people just run a bit hotter than others. Cold taties seem to wear Paramo all year round. :lol:

Good point - people do seem to run at different temperatures. Personally I am not good with hot weather - in fact summer is my least favourite time of year!

I was thinking about people who take a Paramo off, saying "I'm hot" and they are wearing something underneath.

I only wear anything under the Paramo if the weather is absolutely freezing.

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Postby Fiona Reid » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:37 pm

I have a Velez smock and a Quito jacket. The Velez is full weight but the Quito is one of the lighter models. I don't notice any difference between them re their water resistance. The material on the Quito is much thinner so I imagine in time it won't be as durable but it's not as warm so better for spring/autumn compared with my heavier jacket.

I've not tried Paramo fleeces. I usually wear a thin Merino under the jackets and if it's really hot then nothing except my sports bra.
Fiona Reid
Mountaineer

Munros:121   Corbetts:35
Fionas:219   Donalds:86
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:44
Wainwrights:61   

Postby StewF » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:17 pm

Great replies everyone, thank you

Thanks also to Tim regarding pm discussions of ladies vs gents sizing and other paramo matters :D

I bought a Ladies Velez XL (44 chest) from Outdoors wales for £125 in a dark navy and light blue ( quite butch :wink: )

I am 6 ft normally wear chest 42-44, L to XL men's and this ladies XL fits well, length appears much same as men's Berghaus hard shell (2-3 inches past trouser belt level back a little more), waist I am 34-36 and it's quite baggy.

There still appears some available

https://www.outdoorwales.net/paramo-ladies-velez-adventure-smock.ir

All the best
StewF
Mountaineer

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk