walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

keeping boots/feet dry

keeping boots/feet dry

Postby Abe Normal » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:30 pm

This is probably a daft question but here goes.

I have hiked multi-days in my kilt before in spain but not in Scotland and I'll soon be heading out on the WHW.
I would like to wear my kilt for this as well but am getting a bit put off by the high probability of there being plenty of rain...

Is there a way to keep rain getting into the top of my boots whilst wearing my kilt.
I would think that most gaiters wont stop it as the rain will just run down my legs.

Don't worry I have a good poncho that saves the kilt from rain.
Abe Normal

Munros:35   

Re: keeping boots/feet dry

Postby Sack the Juggler » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:37 pm

Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby jmarkb » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:42 pm

Full length gaiters might work OK if your poncho comes down below your knees. However, if it is wet and windy you might well regret not just wearing trousers. Depending on how soon you are starting, there may still be midges around.....
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Caberfeidh » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:25 am

The midgies and cleggs will be a much worse problem, they are still around and making themselves felt. I tried the WHW a few years ago in my kilt, unfortunately my attempt coincided with an early heat wave which woke the beasts and they tormented me in early May. Ankle-length oilskins and thigh-length rubber fisherman's waders might keep the rain off but of course you will be steamed in your own condensation. There is no hope, no release, it is relentless. Welcome to Scotland.

Tears in rain.jpg
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk