walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Sleeping Bags

Sleeping Bags

Postby jbro » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:01 pm

Hi guys

Looking for assistance in help deciding on a sleeping bag. Will generally be used over the UK probably not so much in winter or harsh winter conditions.

I’m stuck deciding between 2 at the moment.

Mountain Equipment Glacier 450

£210 (discount from RRP £300)
700-750FP
Good Night’s Sleep Guaranteed: -9°C
Comfort: -1°C
Comfort Limit: -8°C
Extreme: -26°C
Fill Weight: 450g
Total Weight: 980g

£235
850FP
Cumulus Panyam 450
Comfort temperature: 0 ˚C
Limit temperature: -6 ˚C
Extreme temperature: -23 ˚C
Total weight: 810 g
Down weight: 450 g

I currently have Exped Downmat Lite 5 R- 4.1
Was considering changing these for the Neoair Xtherm R- 5.7, or Synmat UL 7 Winter R- 5.0

I suppose it’s more down to the brand. Is Pertex better than Drilite. Also they both have 450g down, the ME is lower fill power, but temperatures are rated better.
jbro

Re: Sleeping Bags

Postby bydand_loon » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:07 am

Cant help :D

but I have an ME Xero 550 down bag and a Rab accent 700, the Rab 700 is crap and has been since day 1, the ME one isnt.

But for the last year I've been using a custom made Cumulus 450 Quilt, it beats them both hands down, Cumulus were really helpful and speak better English than me.

So although I rate ME highly, I cant speak highly enough about Cumulus kit, over winter I'm hoping to get a custom 350 made as well.

I also dont subscribe to the down is sh!te when wet thing either, dont get it wet :D
bydand_loon
Hill Bagger

Postby whiteburn » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:37 am

Given the higher FP rating of the Cumulus 450 bag I would have anticipated lower temp limits than the ME; if the testing is like for like it would lead me to the inference than the ME bag is smaller (less surface area hence slightly thicker), best to check beforehand.
I can’t rate my Cumulus Panyam 600 highly enough, roomy & suits me down to -10C with an Xtherm; far too warm for 3 season use though, I switch to the Cumulus 250 quilt & an Xlite which does me down to 0C.
whiteburn
Stravaiging

Postby Sack the Juggler » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:04 pm

Both companies are well regarded, and there is not much in it in terms of temperature ratings or even packed dimensions (when you throw it into your backpack).

The cumulus uses goose down, and the ME uses duck down, however I'm not convinced there is much between the two types of down.

The main differences appear to be, that the Culumus bag has more wiggle room (80cm v 75cm for the shoulders, and 55cm v 50cm for the feet), this might explain the differences in temperature ratings given their fills.

Personally I'd prefer more wiggle room in a bag, but it depends on your own preference.

Also the culumus is 170g lighter. It doesn't sound a lot, but it all adds up.

Based on those two criteria with all other factors being more or less equal, I'd go for the Culumus bag.
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby jbro » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:33 pm

Thanks for the replies,

I was considering the Panyam 600 originally. Then I thought it might be too warm for all round use. So thought about something slightly less warm. I think I’d be okay with the bags mentioned previously. But I don’t think the girlfriend would. I leaning towards the 600 again now. These will be the first bags I buy so I’m not really certain. I’ve done quite a bit of reading and conflicting info has confused me. Some say 450g fill bag like the Panyam 450 is enough for UK winter.
jbro

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:46 pm

jbro wrote:Good Night’s Sleep Guaranteed: -9°C
Comfort: -1°C
Comfort Limit: -8°C
Extreme: -26°C

Have you thought through what this means? It seems meaningless to me. Also this is Dear Old Blighty (until the civil war at Halloween of course) so there will be rain, drizzle, mist and many other types of precipitation you hadn't imagined, so synthetic fill would be wiser. I recommend a Snugpak Softie 10 with synthetic filling. This is also a fraction of the cost, enabling you to spend more on a nice warm jacket to pull over your head whilst sleeping.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby mrssanta » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:16 pm

there's a good article on choosing and using sleeping bags on the Alpkit website. Comfort ratings can be pretty meaningless. I sleep cold, husband sleeps hot, he can use a bag with 200g of down and be fine and I'll be chilly in 600g. The mat also makes a difference to your comfort, and also whether there is wind and how much/what you have eaten or drunk and how tired you are and what baselayers you are wearing inside your bag.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby rockhopper » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:35 pm

As Mrs S points out, a good mat makes a lot of difference. I tried various and kept waking up cold until I switched to the X-therm. Some argue it's noisy but I don't find it that way. It does seem to reflect heat back up as well. For the bag, I've been very happy with an ME Xero 350 (weighs a little over 700gr but no longer available) for use between April - October.
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby jbro » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:46 pm

Thanks for the assistance,

1.7kg for the synthetic is too heavy. Main reason for camping is for photography, which tripod, camera, lenses, star tracker (occasionally) can add up to 4-5kg. So it’s easier to cut weight elsewhere. I will also mainly be doing overnighters or 2 at the most. So I hope as long as I don’t get it soaked by being careless then down will be okay. I’ll use pack liner and dry bag to store. I used my Banshee 300 in early May and there was little condensation with little ventilation (enclosed space on campsite) with little wind.

I decided to go for the Panyam 600, got a little discount on 2. I can always pick up something cheaper just for summer use for those odd few days of the year if too hot. As it’s new to me I’m uncertain if I’d be going in winter, but if I enjoy it a lot then, I would go in winter also. I think is the right decision for the 600 one piece of advice I kept seeing was it’s better to be too warm and vent than be cold.

I was thinking about the Xtherm mainly due to being able to store it rolled up. Unlike the Downmat Lites I have now. Although I’m going to try to wait for the updated valve and pump sack.
jbro

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk