walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Backpacking chairs?

Backpacking chairs?

Postby Lely » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:26 am

any of y'all ever tried them? I am considering a model made by REI and another by some company called Alite. These things weigh in the neighborhood of 1.5 lbs each and appear to pack down fairly small. looks like a better alternative than rocks or logs, especially for winter hikes when there is way more downtime. (I am not a night hiker).

I know some of you have never tried them, and will never try them, because you wouldn't dare consider the extra weight. and that's ok. No need to post that here. I'd rather hear just from those who have actually tried them to get some perspective. thx for any feedback be it good or bad.
Lely
Mountaineer

Re: Backpacking chairs?

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:35 pm

Lely wrote:any of y'all ever tried them? I am considering a model made by REI and another by some company called Alite. These things weigh in the neighborhood of 1.5 lbs each and appear to pack down fairly small. looks like a better alternative than rocks or logs, especially for winter hikes when there is way more downtime. (I am not a night hiker).

I know some of you have never tried them, and will never try them, because you wouldn't dare consider the extra weight. and that's ok. No need to post that here. I'd rather hear just from those who have actually tried them to get some perspective. thx for any feedback be it good or bad.

I have used a Helinox One for the last 8 years on trips both at home and abroad. I'm firstly a canoeist, so the weight is then less of a problem. The chair is comfy, compact and very durable indeed. Its probably used at least once a week, plus on several longer trips and many weekend trips, maybe been out with it 500 times or more. The only sign of wear is a small hole from a spark from the fire, and one elastic is finally wearing thin. Worth the extra cost over the cheaper copies in my opinion.
On the other side, the feet do sink in soft ground, but there are various solutions to help with this. I do carry it for short overnighters on my back, but generally travel lighter then.

A friend has a Thermarest version that is in a sort of plastic pod. Similar quality but I prefer the Helinox, seems more stable and less to go wrong.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Sack the Juggler » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:39 pm

I've tried a friend's helinox zero, and they are fairly comfortable although getting in and out requires a decent squat. Also I'm heavy and the legs sunk into the soft ground on one side when I used it, making it a bit unstable, so use them on hardish ground. Whilst they were ok, I didn't feel the need to buy one, and I'm happy with my sitmat, which is made from a cut down folding foam sleep mat, but if you don't mind the weight and you are going to be spending a lot of time around camp, then they are ok.

There are other options that allow your thermarest pad to be contorted into a similar kind of seat
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby St Pedro » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:07 pm

Go Outdoors do a good one OEX version, very light and small, folds up into own wee carry bag about the size of a pair shoes. It comes supplied with a material base pad that each leg goes into, so doesn't sink into sand or mud.

Take on any cycle in camping hill trips. I highly recommend.

We have 2 for out campervan and you can get similar cheaper ones from amazon - got different colour for our son. This version is similar size but bit heavier.
St Pedro
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:200
Fionas:73   Donalds:89+49
Sub 2000:24   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   Islands:36

Postby mrssanta » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:16 pm

I have a helinox Ground Chair which is great. It doesn't sink in like I would think the Chair One would do, as you are resting on a square of poles rather than ends.
I also have something a bit lie the thermarest chair kit and it is extremely comfortable but if it is wet or muddy you will end up with a wet or muddy sleep mat so really it is only for guaranteed good weather, not such a good plan
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby mountainstar » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:56 am

I have the Alite Mayfly which I use on one night wildcamping trips sometimes (Going to Arenig Fawr Bothy with me tomorrow night, I will put it on the bench to make it more comfortable).
It's very low profile, the seat area almost touches the floor, I chose this type so I could sit in my tent without my head being restricted. It works perfect for this. It has 2 balls on the rear feet and a metal 18 inch pole as the front foot, so no sinking in the ground.
On a recent meet, a mate tried 3 different lightweight chairs that we had in the group, he thought mine was the most comfortable.
It's much more comfortable that a thermarest conversion seat, which I also have.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9cw_GBpa7E
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby crfishwick » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:29 am

Backpacking chair! Nothing like carrying the kitchen sink.😂
crfishwick

Postby Marty_JG » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:26 am

I've got a Robens Geographic stool, the smallest one (250 grams) packs up small enough I can put it in cargo pockets if I'm not carrying a backpack. They also do a larger 350 gram version.

Not something for spending all day in but takes the weight off the knees if you're brewing up.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby mrssanta » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:07 pm

crfishwick wrote:Backpacking chair! Nothing like carrying the kitchen sink.😂

I have one of them too! but I don't take it unless doing a proper base camp
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Postby crfishwick » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:29 pm

mrssanta wrote:
crfishwick wrote:Backpacking chair! Nothing like carrying the kitchen sink.😂

I have one of them too! but I don't take it unless doing a proper base camp

LOL
crfishwick

Postby mrssanta » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:31 pm

That's nothing to what we used to do in the Girl Guides in the 70s, we'd build a full sink and draining board out of sticks, string and a washing up bowl, complete with towel rail. Lightweight camping it was not!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Postby Marty_JG » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:02 pm

mrssanta wrote:That's nothing to what we used to do in the Girl Guides in the 70s, we'd build a full sink and draining board out of sticks, string and a washing up bowl, complete with towel rail. Lightweight camping it was not!

In the Scouts we'd build dens and forts and spring-traps that could put a spear-tip though a man's thigh.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby mrssanta » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:45 am

Marty_JG wrote:
mrssanta wrote:That's nothing to what we used to do in the Girl Guides in the 70s, we'd build a full sink and draining board out of sticks, string and a washing up bowl, complete with towel rail. Lightweight camping it was not!

In the Scouts we'd build dens and forts and spring-traps that could put a spear-tip though a man's thigh.

Ah yes. Was quite jealous of my sons in scouts. They took 12 boys in the minibus and two whole transit vans full of food and equipment. They came home filthy, exhausted and happy
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk