walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Which Naturehike 2-Man Tent

Which Naturehike 2-Man Tent

Postby malrc » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:35 pm

Hi All,

I've been pondering a new tent and had narrowed down my options to the MSR Hubba Hubba and the Big Agnes Copper Hull (although I was slightly concerned that this one might struggle in Scottish weather...)

However, I've read enough positive things about the Chinese clone tents that I'm willing to try one out given the huge savings to be had. Currently looking at the Naturehike Mongar 2 (Hubba Hubba clone), but wanted to ask if anyone had experience of this and/or would recommend a different Naturehike model instead.

The tent will primarily be used for 1 or 2 day, 3 season, wild camping whilst munro bagging, so must be able to handle the weather that that involves. Trail weight should be 2kg or less (including footprint). It should be capable of accommodating 2 people in passable comfort.

All advice much appreciated.

Rod

EDIT: Worth mentioning that I'm currently using a Vaude Terratrio 3P that weighs in at just under 3kg. The reason for the change is weight saving.
malrc
Hill Bagger

Munros:48   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:20
Islands:3

Re: Which Naturehike 2-Man Tent

Postby Marty_JG » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:15 pm

Forget the Cloud Up 2. I have it and love it but it's a one-plus person tent, room for kit and a dog or child but not two adults in comfort - only one entrance small vestibule.

Primary two-person free-standing double-wall options with two doors and with two good vestibules:

Mongar 2 (MSR Hubba Hubba clone) at 1.9kg
Star River 2 (Big Agnes Copper Spur 2 clone) at 1.95kg
Cloud Peak 2 (Hilleberg Allak 2 clone) at 2.3kg

Weights include guys and pegs and you'll shave some weight if you get some tiny Titanium pegs; but weights do not include the 200g included groundsheet - you'll save a lot of weight by getting a cheap bit of Tyvek.off EBay.

Which is "best" comes down to you.

The Mongar and Star River are close to each other being inner-first pitches (you can use the free Naturehike groundsheet to erect with a fly, then clip the inner in, then change the poles around - but honestly on my Cloud-Up 2 it's just more hassle that it's worth - I mopped up with a bandanna). Otherwise it's the classic Hubba Hubba vs Coppur Spur battle of preference. The Mongar is symmetrical whereas the Star River has a head and foot.The Star River has "rainbow" inner zip doors that just "fall down", the Mongar has "D" style doors inner that open up and tie back to the side.

The Cloud Peak is a bit heavier and more expensive, but pitches all in one (other than a rain cap).

All three will shed the wind and the rain without problem.

There's also a single-wall tension tent:

Taga 2 (Tarptent Double Rainbow clone) at 1.37kg

Obviously pitching and condensation will be considerations and it doesn't come with a groundsheet.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Hola » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:23 pm

I think we need to start referring to tents as number of 'Persons'...not man...please.
So, Naturehike 2 Person tent.
Women camp as well, you know!!!
Cheers.
Hola
Scrambler

Postby Marty_JG » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:15 am

Man is one of the oldest, most primal words in our language going back thousands or tens of thousands of years, to and beyond the Sumerians - the first civilisation and one of the words they marked for us. It was always gender neutral and always meant any human being. We see evidence of that in 'mankind' which is not half the population. There is a fallacy its compatriot term is woman. It is not. Woman and werman are compatriot terms, medieval English, literally wife-man and husband-man - and the archaicisation of werman a sad loss to English poetry. A woman doesn't stop being a man because there is a "wo-" at the start any more than a fireman stops being man because it also has a prefix.

Person goes to the Greek Persephone, which immediately genders it.

So if you expect me to be a person I expect you to be a man. :lol:
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Postby malrc » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:57 am

Marty_JG wrote:Otherwise it's the classic Hubba Hubba vs Coppur Spur battle of preference. The Mongar is symmetrical whereas the Star River has a head and foot.The Star River has "rainbow" inner zip doors that just "fall down", the Mongar has "D" style doors inner that open up and tie back to the side.

Thanks Marty, obvious follow-up question... which of these two is best suited for me. I'm not particularly tall (5'9"), so length shouldn't be an issue, but what are the pros and cons of each?
malrc
Hill Bagger

Postby Marty_JG » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:18 pm

The differences seem fairly trivial, petty even. Either is a tent will do you the UL proud. Me personally I'd give the edge to the Mongar; with side-entrances I'd prefer the tent to be symmetrical, and would prefer to the mesh door to tie to the side rather than go to the floor. Note the Mongar comes in the 20D version (lightweight) and 210T (heavier) so make sure you get the 20D version.

Also bear in mind in very high wind these tents can be noisy, even cave-in somewhat. My Cloud-Up has come through 60mph gales but the ceiling was very low during it. If you want a gale-force resistant tent you should be looking at a tunnel type tent that's basically a glorified bivouac, but others know more about those sorts of tents.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Postby malrc » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:35 pm

Thanks again Marty. Just ordered the Mongar 20D.

<£120 after cashback, so intrigued to see how it fares.
malrc
Hill Bagger

Postby Marty_JG » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:22 pm

Let us know how it gets on in the wild. What colour did you go for?
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Postby malrc » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:29 pm

Will do. I went for the all green version. Seems the most subtle option.
malrc
Hill Bagger

Postby aljebu » Sat May 02, 2020 8:01 pm

malrc wrote:Thanks again Marty. Just ordered the Mongar 20D.

<£120 after cashback, so intrigued to see how it fares.

Hi there, I've just found your post after asking myself the very same question. Could I ask where you ordered it from? Many thanks :wink:
aljebu
Mountaineer

Postby Marty_JG » Mon May 04, 2020 12:53 pm

Marty_JG
Backpacker

Postby aljebu » Thu May 14, 2020 11:07 pm

Thanks, I found it on Amazon and went for the £135 option as the other didn't seem to be the same (20D,) spec. I see that their stock has now gone. I pitched it in the garden for 2 nights and was very impressed by the quality.
aljebu
Mountaineer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk