walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

The perils of a Touch Screen GPS

The perils of a Touch Screen GPS

Postby demdyke » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:44 pm

I have a Garmin eTrex Touch 25 GPS. It’s great, until in winter I have to take off a glove to expose a naked finger in order to work the touch-screen. I have a pair of touch-screen gloves with the special finger-tips but they are a bit hit-and-miss; they don’t always work. Does anyone know of a ‘Heath Robinson’ way of working the screen without de-gloving? :?
demdyke

Re: The perils of a Touch Screen GPS

Postby prog99 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:07 pm

Use your nose .
And no I’m not joking.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby CharlesT » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:32 pm

prog99 wrote:Use your nose .
And no I’m not joking.

Ingenious!, but how do you see what you're touching? I have a longish nose but not that long.

Just tried it on my smartphone, can do but a bit hit and miss.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Giant Stoneater » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:50 pm

Don't know if this would work on your GPS but for all it costs

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Deet®-Screen-Stylus-Smartphones-Tablets/dp/B01N46A90F/ref=asc_df_B01N46A90F/?tag=bingshoppinga-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adposition}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584207583225445&psc=1
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby FraserHughes » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:06 pm

Depending on how sensitive the touch screen is dampening the end of the finger of your glove should also work.
FraserHughes

Postby demdyke » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:07 am

FraserHughes wrote:Depending on how sensitive the touch screen is dampening the end of the finger of your glove should also work.

Thanks for that. Of all the other suggestions this seems the best.
demdyke

Postby demdyke » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:09 am

CharlesT wrote:
And no I’m not joking.

Ingenious!, but how do you see what you're touching? I have a longish nose but not that long.

Just tried it on my smartphone, can do but a bit hit and miss.

Yep I've just tired it in my bedroom - it's OK. But on on a mountain in a blizzard with a snotty nose I'm not too sure.
demdyke

Postby demdyke » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:11 am

And no I’m not joking.

The screen will soon get covered in snot
demdyke

Postby demdyke » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:20 am

demdyke wrote:
FraserHughes wrote:Depending on how sensitive the touch screen is dampening the end of the finger of your glove should also work.

Thanks for that. Of all the other suggestions this seems the best.

Yes. I've just tried it - it works Thanks
demdyke

Postby crfishwick » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:45 pm

demdyke wrote:I have a Garmin eTrex Touch 25 GPS. It’s great, until in winter I have to take off a glove to expose a naked finger in order to work the touch-screen. I have a pair of touch-screen gloves with the special finger-tips but they are a bit hit-and-miss; they don’t always work. Does anyone know of a ‘Heath Robinson’ way of working the screen without de-gloving? :?

Buy another GPS that uses buttons! Although I have an eTrex touch screen and have no problems in cold conditions in the U.K.! Just take off one glove. Problem solved.😂😩
crfishwick

Postby Pastychomper » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:02 am

Some hunting/shooting gloves have a way to temporarily expose the trigger finger. I remember seeing a pair of heavy ex-army mittens where all the fingers were together, but the trigger finger could be slid into a thin-walled extension for shooting. Something like that with the tip cut off the extension would solve the problem.

A quick search led me here. I've never used the shop, but the gloves look better than the ones I was thinking of.
Pastychomper
Wanderer

Munros:5   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:5

Postby Marty_JG » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:27 pm

crfishwick wrote:Buy another GPS that uses buttons!

Indeed, why spend a tenner on a pair of gloves when you could spend half a grand on new GPS that's a pain the arse to use 3/4 of the year? :D
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby crfishwick » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:40 pm

Marty_JG wrote:
crfishwick wrote:Buy another GPS that uses buttons!

Indeed, why spend a tenner on a pair of gloves when you could spend half a grand on new GPS that's a pain the arse to use 3/4 of the year? :D

Just take off a ruddy glove off! Easy. £500? for a button controlled GPS? When there one one the market that costs less than an ETrex. 😂😩 and better!
crfishwick

Postby Marty_JG » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:49 am

crfishwick wrote:£500? for a button controlled GPS?

The darling unit of the moment is the Garmin GPSMAP 66st, £400 on Amazon, and that's before you add maps.

The unit with full OS 250/50/25k is currently £750 at GPS Training.

Me? I got a knock-off out-of-date OS maps and the TalkyToaster version of the OSM. Even so that's another £60 and another £40 for the GizzMoVest protector.

- - -

And yes I'm being silly because I picked the high-end one. Even so the modern button eTrex and Gpsmap are in the £200-250 range, again OS maps are extra.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby crfishwick » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:22 pm

Marty_JG wrote:
crfishwick wrote:£500? for a button controlled GPS?

The darling unit of the moment is the Garmin GPSMAP 66st, £400 on Amazon, and that's before you add maps.

The unit with full OS 250/50/25k is currently £750 at GPS Training.

Me? I got a knock-off out-of-date OS maps and the TalkyToaster version of the OSM. Even so that's another £60 and another £40 for the GizzMoVest protector.

- - -

And yes I'm being silly because I picked the high-end one. Even so the modern button eTrex and Gpsmap are in the £200-250 range, again OS maps are extra.

LOL, having a laugh to be honest! Been there got the Tee shirt! A GPS is a tool although I have come to the conclusion a map and compass are perfectly adequate. As my better half states and probably correct. :)
crfishwick

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk