walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

The perils of a Touch Screen GPS

Re: The perils of a Touch Screen GPS

Postby crfishwick » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:26 pm

Marty_JG wrote:
crfishwick wrote:£500? for a button controlled GPS?

The darling unit of the moment is the Garmin GPSMAP 66st, £400 on Amazon, and that's before you add maps.

The unit with full OS 250/50/25k is currently £750 at GPS Training.

Me? I got a knock-off out-of-date OS maps and the TalkyToaster version of the OSM. Even so that's another £60 and another £40 for the GizzMoVest protector.

- - -

And yes I'm being silly because I picked the high-end one. Even so the modern button eTrex and Gpsmap are in the £200-250 range, again OS maps are extra.

Well blow me down gps training :D That tells me a story.
crfishwick

Postby Marty_JG » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:59 am

A map & compass is classic and livesavers. GPS peak at getting coordinates in low visibility, and for recording the day out, but most phones can replace that especially if they're waterproof. Devices generally are convenient on the track - a quick glance at a screen attached to you, no map to unpack and repack.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby Gareth Harper » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:24 pm

LOL, having a laugh to be honest! Been there got the Tee shirt! A GPS is a tool although I have come to the conclusion a map and compass are perfectly adequate. As my better half states and probably correct.

Fair enough. However, if you do get lost a map and compass won’t tell you where you are. In poor conditions, such as low cloud or a white-out you will have to rely on technique and estimates of distance covered – the GPS however will tell you exactly where you are. Also, in a white-out a GPS can keep you off the cornice.

What I’d add to that is, the GPS will tell you where you are, but you need a compass preferably along with a map to tell you where to go.
I personally wouldn’t rely on a smart phone as a GPS.

A GPS is not necessary, but if you are out on the hills a lot it's a worthwhile investment.
Gareth Harper

Munros:204   Corbetts:82
Fionas:26   Donalds:50
Sub 2000:6   

Postby crfishwick » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:03 am

Gareth Harper wrote:
LOL, having a laugh to be honest! Been there got the Tee shirt! A GPS is a tool although I have come to the conclusion a map and compass are perfectly adequate. As my better half states and probably correct.

Fair enough. However, if you do get lost a map and compass won’t tell you where you are. In poor conditions, such as low cloud or a white-out you will have to rely on technique and estimates of distance covered – the GPS however will tell you exactly where you are. Also, in a white-out a GPS can keep you off the cornice.

What I’d add to that is, the GPS will tell you where you are, but you need a compass preferably along with a map to tell you where to go.
I personally wouldn’t rely on a smart phone as a GPS.

A GPS is not necessary, but if you are out on the hills a lot it's a worthwhile investment.

Ever heard of a satellite phone? Plus I actually have a GPS..
crfishwick

Postby demdyke » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:41 pm

I have found the answer: a touch-screen pen from Amazon - £10. Works a treat.
demdyke

Postby madprof » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:54 pm

Gareth Harper wrote:I personally wouldn’t rely on a smart phone as a GPS

Works for me on single day hikes. YMMV!
madprof
Mountaineer

Munros:60   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Walk wish-list

Postby Walkinmyfootsteps » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:54 pm

Most surveyors I know cut the tip of the glove. Allows you to slide it back and then your finger is free.
Walkinmyfootsteps
Munro compleatist

Postby DavidShepherd » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:39 pm

crfishwick wrote:
Marty_JG wrote:
crfishwick wrote:£500? for a button controlled GPS?

The darling unit of the moment is the Garmin GPSMAP 66st, £400 on Amazon, and that's before you add maps.

The unit with full OS 250/50/25k is currently £750 at GPS Training.

Me? I got a knock-off out-of-date OS maps and the TalkyToaster version of the OSM. Even so that's another £60 and another £40 for the GizzMoVest protector.

- - -

And yes I'm being silly because I picked the high-end one. Even so the modern button eTrex and Gpsmap are in the £200-250 range, again OS maps are extra.

LOL, having a laugh to be honest! Been there got the Tee shirt! A GPS is a tool although I have come to the conclusion a map and compass are perfectly adequate. As my better half states and probably correct. :)

I have a £150 Garmin etrex 30 (or something) from a few years ago and it has never let me down once.
I can read a map fine but to be honest, i much prefer the hassle of not reading a map.
DavidShepherd
Mountain Walker

Munros:167   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:5

Postby Spade » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:42 pm

Heath Robinson ! I tried this on a couple of gloves and yes it did work.
here's a link to try it
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=touch+screen+gloves+diy
Spade

Munros:80   Corbetts:5

Postby madprof » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:44 pm

demdyke wrote:I have a Garmin eTrex Touch 25 GPS. It’s great, until in winter I have to take off a glove to expose a naked finger in order to work the touch-screen. I have a pair of touch-screen gloves with the special finger-tips but they are a bit hit-and-miss; they don’t always work. Does anyone know of a ‘Heath Robinson’ way of working the screen without de-gloving? :?

Sealskinz ultra grip gloves work with touch screens. Waterproof but not quite warm enough unless you're already moving.
madprof
Mountaineer

Walk wish-list

Postby crfishwick » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:02 am

madprof wrote:
demdyke wrote:I have a Garmin eTrex Touch 25 GPS. It’s great, until in winter I have to take off a glove to expose a naked finger in order to work the touch-screen. I have a pair of touch-screen gloves with the special finger-tips but they are a bit hit-and-miss; they don’t always work. Does anyone know of a ‘Heath Robinson’ way of working the screen without de-gloving? :?

Sealskinz ultra grip gloves work with touch screens. Waterproof but not quite warm enough unless you're already moving.

No they don't . Depending on the touch screen involved!
The Internet rules for advertising. :lol: :lol:
crfishwick

Postby madprof » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:24 pm

crfishwick wrote:
madprof wrote:

No they don't . Depending on the touch screen involved!
The Internet rules for advertising. :lol: :lol:

OK they work on my Samsung Galaxy S8 phone. They worked on my old Motorola Moto G phone.
madprof
Mountaineer

Walk wish-list

Postby Gareth Harper » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:14 pm

Hey Santa will be doing his rounds soon.
Why not ask him for a dedicated GPS loaded with OS maps and operated by nice big buttons.
Gareth Harper

Munros:204   Corbetts:82
Fionas:26   Donalds:50
Sub 2000:6   

Postby dav2930 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:34 pm

Gareth Harper wrote:Hey Santa will be doing his rounds soon.
Why not ask him for a dedicated GPS loaded with OS maps and operated by nice big buttons.

demdyke wrote:I have found the answer: a touch-screen pen from Amazon - £10. Works a treat.
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:17   Donalds:52
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Marty_JG » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:21 pm

Gareth Harper wrote:Hey Santa will be doing his rounds soon.

I don't know about the GPS but I've found a nice big Buttons to operate it.

OH YES I HAVE!
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk