walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Garmin 60CSx

Garmin 60CSx

Postby IRC1968 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:15 pm

Hi All,

This is my firs post so apologies if it's in the wrong forum or if I am duplicating a previously asked question.

Does anyone know of a site that has routes uploaded from peoples own walks that can be downloaded and installed to the Garmin 60CSx GPS device?

Alternatively does anyone here use this device or another compatible device and has saved routes that they would be willing to share?

I look forward to hearing back from anyone that could offer any help in my search.

Thank you.
IRC1968

Re: Garmin 60CSx

Postby Paul Webster » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:04 am

Hi there,

The walks on this site are downloadable to your Garmin. It's really the software you are using that is the deciding factor on whether you can download the routes, rather than the GPS device itself.

You could use Quo PRO to open the routes in Quo format, all of which then link back to the walk descriptions. Routes can be sent by Quo to your GPS device.

Alternatively you can use lots of different software with the 'GPX' file downloads (icon to the right of Quo on each walk). GPX works with most software, including Memory Map, and also free software such as EasyGPS can be used to open these walks and send them to your GPS.

Of course, you will need a lead to connect your GPS to your PC. We found 'GPSBitz' on Ebay to be helpful and their lead actually works for us, unlike another cheaper lead I also bought on Ebay.

Make sure you still carry a map (plus a compass as back up if the GPS fails) and know how to use it though - a GPS isn't the whole story and the routes aren't infallible.

Hope this helps.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby IRC1968 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:47 pm

Hi, Thanks for the reply,

I have downloaded the EasyGPS prog and can send the GPX files to the device now so that is great, many of the GPX files are not able to be sent though as the waypoints do not have labels, the only way to make them work is to edit the route and individually name each of the waypoints, just wondered if the webmaster was aware of this?

Anyway thanks for a helpful reply it's saved me a heap of work in plotting tracks and routes :D
IRC1968

Postby Paul Webster » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:22 pm

No problem.

If you could please let us know which GPX files won't work (or examples of them) - use the contact form on the site - we will look into it and fix. The GPX files aren't intended to contain any waypoints, only 'route points', so this shouldn't happen.

Thanks again
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby IRC1968 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:52 am

Have sent you an email and hopefully it explains what is going wrong, it looks like the EasyGPS program sees the route points as way points and as they do not have a label or name my garmin 60CSX won't allow the routes to be sent to it until the points are all given a label.

Hope that helps and look forward to your reply.
IRC1968

Postby Paul Webster » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:33 pm

It seems that EasyGPS has a bug that means it checks that Route points (which needn't have to have a name) are named as well as Waypoints (which should have to have a name).

Out of free software, try using GPS Trackmaker instead - this worked fine for me.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk