walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Rab Ascent 300.....

Re: Rab Ascent 300.....

Postby Manwaeadug » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:19 pm

@ Marty - I'm a bit sceptical of getting anything too cheap (not that I'm in any way snobbish about that or a 'label junkie'....far from it tbh), I'll have a look at it though :)
I'm probably going to go with a similar set up of bags that mrssanta mentioned and have a bigger dry sack as a liner (as long as it's not stupidly heavy). That way I can jam the tent in from the side zipper (outside the dry sacks) and not have to worry about it getting anything wet or tangled up in my kit.
I'm looking at a load of different sleeping pads just now, appreciate the heads up on the Kylmit; not one I'd come across.

@ whiteburn - I had a look at the Pipedream (it was in my final shortlist) but I thought it would be too narrow, especially around my feet. The Rab was a bit wider (not a true mummy style) and it seemed to be the best option in terms of warmth/weight.
I don't mind spending a little bit more for a better option. I just didn't come across any that gave me the extra room I reckon I'll need. I do sleep warm, very warm I'd say, but I am very restless and a proper mummy will be too restrictive for me. I'd considered a blanket but was unsure if they were more of a 'T in the Park' type fad.
I'll have another wee look at average overnight temps and weigh up the 300's potential again.

I'm not averse to saving a few quid but I'm not convinced the Chinese route will be worthwhile in the long run. I may well be displaying my ignorance of the quality of outdoors kit here mind you.

@ rgf - I came across a travel towel I've earmarked for that very job, and it'll hopefully double up for drying off the dog if required! :)

Thanks for the advice folks.
Manwaeadug
Walker

Munros:1   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:4   
Walk wish-list

Postby mrssanta » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:12 pm

Manwaeadug wrote:
@ rgf - I came across a travel towel I've earmarked for that very job, and it'll hopefully double up for drying off the dog if required! :)

Thanks for the advice folks.

No need to spend funny money on a dedicated travel towel. The best mop up cloots I have were 2 for a £ from Ponden Mill and 3 for a £ from the local cheap hardware shop. And they have pretty flowers on too. Of course they aren't sold as travel towels but I have used one to dry my whole self. Bit chilly as you can't wrap up in it but did the job. We always carry one when camping, as if it's wet you can dab most of the water off your clothing before it gets everywhere else. When its soaked you just squeeze it out and continue dabbing.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby whiteburn » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:34 am

Manwaeadug wrote:……….@ whiteburn - I had a look at the Pipedream (it was in my final shortlist) but I thought it would be too narrow, especially around my feet. The Rab was a bit wider (not a true mummy style) and it seemed to be the best option in terms of warmth/weight.
I don't mind spending a little bit more for a better option. I just didn't come across any that gave me the extra room I reckon I'll need. I do sleep warm, very warm I'd say, but I am very restless and a proper mummy will be too restrictive for me. I'd considered a blanket but was unsure if they were more of a 'T in the Park' type fad.
I'll have another wee look at average overnight temps and weigh up the 300's potential again..

Agree that the PD bags can be a bit narrow for some.
Another manufacturer you may not have come across is http://sleepingbags-cumulus.eu/
You'll not see in the shops but used by a fair number of backpackers....quite a large range & high quality down, they'll even make a bag to your own spec (length, width, fill weight, hydrophobic, etc)…..not the cheapest though.
whiteburn
Stravaiging

Postby Manwaeadug » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:16 pm

@mrssanta - I'm intending to build up to walking the WHW so I'll be needing a wee travel towel for myself and a smaller one for the dog anyway. I'm not sure a cloot would be up to drying me off.......a lot of wringing out involved I'd say! :lol: (i'll need to trawl the 'net for the ones I came across mind you, I thought I'd bookmarked them.....but.... :( ).

@whiteburn - I've had a look at cumulus, they seem to get decent reviews but the external width at the foot is the same as the internal one for the Rab bags. Not sure about ordering from an EU country with Brexit around the corner (or not, as the case may be). The heads up is very much appreciated and I did pass an enjoyable half hour bankrupting myself as I designed a bag for each season! :lol:
I reckon it's going to be a toss up between the Ascent 300 & 500 tbh, other than a rectangular bag I can't find anything with the same room around the foot of the bag.

The way I'm going the only weight I'll be saving is if I get a titanium spork! :lol: :lol:
Manwaeadug
Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby Marty_JG » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:57 pm

Manwaeadug wrote:The way I'm going the only weight I'll be saving is if I get a titanium spork! :lol: :lol:

If you fill out a Lighterpack.com form we'll give you a gear shakedown.

You can also see an American's idea of how to get a 4kg base weight.

https://lighterpack.com/r/776crf
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby Manwaeadug » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:32 pm

@ Marty - Thanks, I'll bookmark it, have a look and see if I can pick up some tips; although I've only recently started putting my kit together so I reckon it would be a very short list I'd be filling out. :)

4Kg? :shock: My 2 man tent (2.25 trail) and rucksack (1.6) are 4Kg! :lol:

I'm aiming to come in around 11Kg if I can but have a feeling I'll wind up nearer 15Kg. Bearing in mind I'll need to carry food and water for both myself and the dog. I'm thinking a water filter or something might save me a few Kgs in that respect.
Manwaeadug
Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby Marty_JG » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:14 pm

Well... the Yanks are forgiven for their ultralight obsessions given they can hike for months on end on trails that last thousands of miles. A water-filter is essential kit IMO. Water weights, well, if not a ton then 1 kilogram per litre. It very quickly adds up, and I mean what's the point of spending some serious £££ on lightweight kit then nullify that all by carrying an extra litre of water?

I recommend Sawyer Mini, the Saywer Squeeze is twice the price but has greater flow rate (better if there are several of you, but two people can easily use a mini). I'd avoid the Sawyer Micro as it has some reliability issues. I couple it with an Evernew bladder for the dirty bag (the screw-cap is brilliant).
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Postby Manwaeadug » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:08 pm

Yep, definitely getting one of those Sawyers minis. That'll do just fine I reckon and it'll save me lugging loads of water around. :) What do you mean by dirty bag? :? Do you not just scoop water into the bag that comes with it and scoosh it through the filter into an empty water bottle, or do you use the Evernew as your water bottle? (I absolutely reek of novice! :lol: )

That was a good read (lighterpack.com), the sleeping blanket would have been perfect for me I reckon. It was a decent weight and temp limit. A blanket really appeals to me, I might have to do a bit of research and see what I can come up with.
Thanks again. :)
Manwaeadug
Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby Marty_JG » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:57 pm

Yes, the dirty bag is the scoop bag. It has the dirty, pre-filtered water. The Sawyer comes with one but they're pretty crappy and prone to fail. For under a tenner you can get one of these:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Ebanyu-EVERNEW-water-EBY209-japan/dp/B00CHW23YA

You have to be careful about resealing and handling, but the slide-open top makes it MUCH easier to harvest water when all you have is a very faint stream. And at 2 litres you can scoop up plenty of H2O for dinner, tea, breakfast, etc.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Postby Manwaeadug » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:16 pm

I weighed up the advice and decided to go for the 500 instead of the 300. My thinking is it that it'll be better if I need to open the bag to cool down than be zipped in and be too cold (makes sense to me anyway). So that's it ordered and the dithering over the best option can stop now.

Also got the Sawyers mini and the Evernew bag to go with it, reckon that little purchase will shave a couple of kilos off my pack; delighted with that idea. :D

My meagre kit is now starting to come together.

Thanks for the advice folks, it's appreciated.

Now to start looking for a sleep pad. :?
Manwaeadug
Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby Marty_JG » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:21 am

Manwaeadug wrote:Now to start looking for a sleep pad. :?

There are plenty of cheap, functional Chinese inflatable sleeping pads at about £25-30, Amazon is stuffed with them, for example this one with an R-Value of 1.3

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Unigear-Ultralight-Inflatable-Backpacking-Traveling/dp/B07G8FH4TS/

I spent a bit more and got one by Klymit, R-Value of 4.4, £90

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Klymit-Insulated-Camping-Sleeping-Flip-Valve/dp/B07TKD1MKB/

Even more expensive, but with an R-Value of 5.7 is the Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XTherm at £150

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Therm-Rest-NeoAir-Xtherm-Mattress/dp/B00TSFYZAE/

A pillow really helps. The one I have is inflatable and has a bungee on the back, goes around the sleeping pad and prevents it zinging all over the shop when you're sleeping. £13

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07M7TBGJB
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk