walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Boot recommendation

Boot recommendation

Postby DavidShepherd » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:36 pm

Hi all,

Going to be replacing my current boots in November for a newer pair and looking for some recommendations.
Looking for something far more rigid than my previous north face gtx things, with a firmer sole that will also do me for walking in snow, but not looking to buy proper mountain boots for crampon fits.

Friend recommendation's so far have been Scarpa HV GTX and Meindl Bhutans.

All suggestions welcome!
DavidShepherd
Mountain Walker

Munros:167   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:5

Re: Boot recommendation

Postby jmarkb » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:55 pm

With the usual caveat that the most important thing is whether they fit you well, you could add the Mammut Trovat Guide II and Altberg Mallerstang to your list of ones to try on.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby davekeiller » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:24 pm

Altberg generally get recommended because they come in a variety of widths which means you're likely to be able to get a pair that fit you properly.
Most comfortable boots I've owned.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Alteknacker » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:49 pm

Altberg recommendation seconded.
BTW there are some quite recent threads on this subject that it would be worth looking up.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby DavidShepherd » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:40 am

Alteknacker wrote:BTW there are some quite recent threads on this subject that it would be worth looking up.

I will. Thank you.
DavidShepherd
Mountain Walker

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:54 pm

Have had had Meindl Vakuums and am currently using Meindl Bhutans. The Vakuums aren't really worth the extra money and the soles on mine wore down FAST. The Bhutans are a bit heavier and have a bit of a stiffer sole which has lasted way better. The upper on my Bhutans is starting to wear badly and the rand coming loose after 15 months but have seen me through probably around 100 munros/corbetts which I guess isnt too bad. The soles have a lot of life left but I'm not convinced they'll remain waterproof for much longer.

I would recommend the Bhutans if they fit but make sure you shop around. I got mine for about 130 quid on a price match at Go Outdoors. Also, they're not really suitable for winter.

I think I'd actually get a more flexible three season boot next time, e.g. Scarpa Rangers. Would be interested in checking out Scarpa Khumbus but they don't seem to be particularly hot sellers.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:20   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby DavidShepherd » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:34 am

iain_atkinson_1986 wrote:Have had had Meindl Vakuums and am currently using Meindl Bhutans. The Vakuums aren't really worth the extra money and the soles on mine wore down FAST. The Bhutans are a bit heavier and have a bit of a stiffer sole which has lasted way better. The upper on my Bhutans is starting to wear badly and the rand coming loose after 15 months but have seen me through probably around 100 munros/corbetts which I guess isnt too bad. The soles have a lot of life left but I'm not convinced they'll remain waterproof for much longer.

I would recommend the Bhutans if they fit but make sure you shop around. I got mine for about 130 quid on a price match at Go Outdoors. Also, they're not really suitable for winter.

I think I'd actually get a more flexible three season boot next time, e.g. Scarpa Rangers. Would be interested in checking out Scarpa Khumbus but they don't seem to be particularly hot sellers.

Excellent. Thanks very much for the advice on the Bhutans. I'll definitely be shopping around.
Just have to find somewhere in Glasgow that actually stocks Altbergs - though i think Greaves Sports might have them.
DavidShepherd
Mountain Walker

Postby Glengavel » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:48 am

Greaves does sell them, but a limited range. Craigdon in Edinburgh or Perth have a wider range.

https://www.altberg.co.uk/stockists/#greaves-sports-glasgow

It looks like Greaves stocks the Mallerstang though.
Glengavel
Walker

Munros:29   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:29   Islands:19

Postby davekeiller » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:42 pm

Greaves sell them, but only in medium width. They can order them in other widths, but you'll have to pay a non-returnable deposit such that it's better to go to Craigdon in Edinburgh.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby stinker » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:44 pm

Greaves have been clearing their Altberg stock at reduced prices over the past few months. Prices have recently gone back up and the only Altberg boots they're showing available online now are the 2-3 Season Altberg Fremington.

It looks like a trip to Edinburgh or much further south may be needed to try the Tethera, Nordkapp, Kisdon or Mallerstang.
stinker
Walker

Postby gaffr » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:10 am

Scarpa SL Activ boots are always worth trying on....I am on my third pair of these now...good in all seasons and with crampons attached. :D
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby DavidShepherd » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:38 pm

Noice.
Thanks for all the chat folks. Will not be heading to Edinburgh if i can help it! Plenty of outdoor shops in the Glasgow area and black Friday coming up :)
DavidShepherd
Mountain Walker

Postby Gareth Harper » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:53 pm

Just depends on your feet David.

I’ve got a narrow heal and a wide forefoot, so finding boots that fit is not easy.
Annoyingly most manufacturers tell you little about their lasts, and the vast majority of staff in outdoor shops don’t have much of a clue.

Most people will find what they need in most stores. Just try on everything they got. But if like me you struggle to get a boot that really fits well, then a trip to Edinburgh is worthwhile. If you have wheels Craigdon is right beside the A720 city bypass so it’s a fairly painless trip over from the west.

Altberg do a variety of lasts. The standard last comes in half sizes and 5 widths, but there are also other lasts. My first Altberg boot was the Tethera in wide fit. I’ve now got the Nordkapp which is wide at the front but narrower at the rear. Best fitting boots I have had.

Craigdon is well stocked and staff actually knowledgeable in boot fitting.

Tethera and Nordkapp might also suit your purpose. They are sturdy and moderately stiff three seasons boots, not crampon rated but would probably be fine for basic winter walking with flexible crampons (Grivel G10 or equivalent). I tend to use my old Scapa wide fit SL’s in winter though. Look after them and they should take a resole.
Gareth Harper

Munros:204   Corbetts:82
Fionas:26   Donalds:50
Sub 2000:6   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk