walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Warm Winter walking boot recommendations?

Warm Winter walking boot recommendations?

Postby LailaQuiche » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:02 am

I'm after a pair of boots for walking for hill walking during the winter in Scotland.

The boots need to be

1) Crampon compatible
2) Warm
3) Waterproof

My 3 season boots are Salewa which fit my feet extremely well. It took me a long time to find a pair that fit my weird feet. While I'm tempted to get a pair of Salewa brand winter boots (I've been looking at the Raven and the Crow) , I'm worried they won't be warm enough. I get very cold feet.

Any suggestions?
LailaQuiche

Munros:70   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Warm Winter walking boot recommendations?

Postby jmarkb » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:43 am

I don't think you will really find significantly warmer boots without going for a full-blown alpine/Himalayan expedition boot, which will be far too heavy and stiff for Scottish hills. You could try getting a larger size so that you can comfortably wear 2 pairs of thick socks inside them. You should also avoid crampons with toe straps (uncommon these days - most have a plastic front bail, but there are still some around such as the Katoohlas KTX) as these tend to compress your feet and make them cold.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby weaselmaster » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:19 pm

LailaQuiche wrote:I'm after a pair of boots for walking for hill walking during the winter in Scotland.

The boots need to be

1) Crampon compatible
2) Warm
3) Waterproof

My 3 season boots are Salewa which fit my feet extremely well. It took me a long time to find a pair that fit my weird feet. While I'm tempted to get a pair of Salewa brand winter boots (I've been looking at the Raven and the Crow) , I'm worried they won't be warm enough. I get very cold feet.

Any suggestions?

I've used the Salewa Ravens for a few winters now (I know that those currently on sale are a different design). Found them to be good boots and generally kept feet warm and dry (though the watertightness now starting to go).
You might invest in a pair of goretex boot liners which help with keeping dry feet and add some warmth, or a pair of thermal undertrousers/long johns if a warm pair of socks are not sufficient.
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:195   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby jamiecopeland » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:10 pm

Altberg Mallerstang.

Waterproof, comfy, warm, fits a flexible crampon and they do boots for odd size feet.
jamiecopeland

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:19 am

jamiecopeland wrote:Altberg Mallerstang.

Waterproof, comfy, warm, fits a flexible crampon and they do boots for odd size feet.

I got my Altbergs purely for winter use, and find them excellent. I also get cold feet, and I've worn them in some very cold conditions, without my feet getting cold. I bought the boots oversized, so that I can wear a pair of 1000 mile socks, and a pair of think traditional socks on top. If you can get to the Altberg place in Richmond, you have the big advantage of being able to try out all different sizes to get the one that fits you best.

I've also worn them in very wet weather indeed, and (with gaiters) my feet have remained bone dry.

And fine with crampons (I've done both walking and winter scrambling in them).

It would be worth your following up some other threads on boots here. The topic has been covered a good few times, from many different angles.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk