walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Marmot Grid 2P Seams et al

Marmot Grid 2P Seams et al

Postby thelaurels » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:39 pm

Any ideas if it's worth trying to re-seal my Marmot Grid 2P. It's a great tent and everything else is still perfect.

The flysheet seams are flaking badly as you can see in the photo's. It also looks to me like as the sealant comes off it removes the silicon coating from the fabric :( .

How could I remove all the old sealant? And any recommendation for a new sealant, I'd need a fair amount, as every seam is now in poor shape, so a little tube is not use.

Or do I just sunset this faithful ally, would be a shame to see it go?

Thanks
Attachments
IMG_6337.jpg
IMG_6336.jpg
thelaurels

Re: Marmot Grid 2P Seams et al

Postby Arthurs Eat » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:42 am

I have exactly the the same issue with Marmot Grid. A real pain. The tent has leaked constantly after a good start. I have tried sealing the seams from the inside and outside using a seam sealant. Extra tabs il too. I've yet to try it. I'll let you know how I get on.
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Munros:234   Corbetts:29
Fionas:14   Donalds:31
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:35
Wainwrights:32   Islands:16

Postby whiteburn » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:35 pm

Not certain but from the photos it looks as though the seams are sealed with tape which is breaking down; best to try & remove before seam sealing.
Having tape would indicate the inside of the fabric is PU coated which dictates the use of Seamgrip as a liquid sealer, I personally always thin this with Xylene (Hammerite thinners).
No information on whether the fabric outer surface is silicone or PU coated; silicone dictates the use of silnet, thinned with white spirit.
whiteburn
Stravaiging

Postby davekeiller » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:46 pm

Given the extensive nature of this, I'd get the tent completely re-taped. I've previously used Scottish Mountain Gear and they were very good.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Arthurs Eat » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:14 pm

Contacted SMG and they say because of the flaking it will not take a new seam tape. Further they say the tent is no longer waterproof. ☹️ Pretty poor I have to say.
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Postby Arthurs Eat » Tue May 03, 2022 11:24 am

Update :clap:

Well in the end I contacted Marmot UK last year and the immediately agreed to replace the tent. As the Grid is no longer in the range they told me to pick a tent from the range. They did say there was a delay in supply as there was a global tenant shortage at the time. That's the reason I held off the update in case it never arrived. Well the tent eventually appeared in March this year. I am now the proud owner of a Marmot Super Alloy 2P with footprint (I thought I was pushing it a bit at this but hey). So despite my disappointment with the Grid, I look forward to trying out the Super Alloy in May on the Pennine Way. I will give a big up to marmot too. They were as good as their word. Thank you.
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Postby craiggallacher » Mon May 23, 2022 10:22 am

Arthurs Eat wrote:Update :clap:

Well in the end I contacted Marmot UK last year and the immediately agreed to replace the tent. As the Grid is no longer in the range they told me to pick a tent from the range. They did say there was a delay in supply as there was a global tenant shortage at the time. That's the reason I held off the update in case it never arrived. Well the tent eventually appeared in March this year. I am now the proud owner of a Marmot Super Alloy 2P with footprint (I thought I was pushing it a bit at this but hey). So despite my disappointment with the Grid, I look forward to trying out the Super Alloy in May on the Pennine Way. I will give a big up to marmot too. They were as good as their word. Thank you.

Ah magic, good to hear. I've had the exact same issue with the same tent and, like you, came to the same conclusion that it's gonna be almost impossible to fix after getting in touch with potential repair centres.

Given you had success with Marmot directly, have you got a note of the address you emailed that you'd be willing to share please?
craiggallacher
Stravaiging

Postby Arthurs Eat » Mon May 23, 2022 3:55 pm

Just visit the Marmot UK site and leave a message. Good luck
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Postby Maffy45 » Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:18 pm

Does anyone have a Marbot 2P tent?

my tape also perished and all the inner tabs fell off that attach flysheet to the main frame.

Marmot cant help - said tent passed warranty - grrrr and they dont have diagram of where the tabs should be reattached

Tape flakes made awful mess but I managed to wash and re-apply the waterproofing. Just need to reaffix tabs.

Any help appreciated

Thanks
Maffy45
Walker

Postby Arthurs Eat » Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:17 am

Not sure about warranty, but I had my Grid 2P for six years before contacting Marmot? Its clear there appear to be some basic quality issues with the tent, which is a shame because I quite liked it. It stood up to Patagonian gales when other tents were decorating the local forest.

I would try them again telling them you're aware of others who have experienced the same issue. Refer them to this post and maybe they'll be shamed into doing the right thing. Like I say, they were fine with me.

Good luck!
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk