walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Rab vapour rise mtn guide jacket

Rab vapour rise mtn guide jacket

Postby Spade » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:58 pm

Hi Folks thinking of one of these as the mid layer for my winter walks etc. I see they have new version of the jacket. The last had a micro grid fleece lining. This new one doesn't seem to have this its a polar Tec inner. Any one any experience with both or one , any thoughts. My feedback so far is the old one was and is fantastic. Just wondering about the new version. :)
Spade

Munros:80   Corbetts:5

Re: Rab vapour rise mtn guide jacket

Postby shinenotburn » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:22 am

It's Polartec Alpha.

I had a good look at the Rab last year and also the Montane Hydrogen Extreme Smock. Went for the Montane and so far very pleased with it-they now do a jacket version. The alpha material seems to perform as advertised and the smock with a merino top has been plenty on some -10C days recently. The Rab was heavier, baggier and the pockets are too low for me. The Rab Alpha Direct jacket suffers from the low pockets and has the stretchy style hood which I don't like.

Trust this helps. Iain.
shinenotburn
Mountaineer

Munros:212   Corbetts:16
Fionas:7   Donalds:27
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   

Postby Spade » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:58 pm

Thanks Ian, I did feel the Rab is a bit on the weighty side. I'll certainly look at the montane as an option also. Appreciate the feedback. :)
Spade

Munros:80   Corbetts:5

Postby weesmudge » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:52 pm

Got a rab guide jacket from Santa had it on for the first time today doing the cruachan circuit
Was a cold wind but not to strong and I was fine in the jacket with just a t shirt on
Was warm walking up in the sunshine
Could of done with being a bit colder but overall was a good jacket rab is my new favourite brand they do some quality gear :clap: :clap:
weesmudge
Munro compleatist

Munros:136   Corbetts:4

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk