walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Scarpa Ribelle Lite OD vs HD /CL HD

Scarpa Ribelle Lite OD vs HD /CL HD

Postby malrc » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:03 pm

Just wondering if anyone has tried one or both of these models and could elaborate on any differences worth considering. Both should suit my needs (a 3 season, light and fast, boot that will work for general hill-walking as well as some scrambling and occasional winter use), but difficult to establish clear differences between them beyond the Lite being a bit lighter and not quite as warm.

Any feedback on durability, grip, utility would be much appreciated.

Note: I have tried them on separately and hope to do a proper side-by-side this weekend.
malrc
Hill Bagger

Munros:48   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:20
Islands:3

Re: Scarpa Ribelle Lite OD vs HD /CL HD

Postby malrc » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:22 pm

Apologies for the double post, I should probably clarify that I'm considering the HD and CL HD models to be the same for purposes of comparison against the Lite OD. Scarpa's website suggests the only difference is the 'plush leather' lining on the CL which is the same weight but slightly warmer and £15 dearer...
malrc
Hill Bagger

Postby FraserHughes » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:45 am

I can't answer your question I'm afraid but Scarpa's UK distributor are The Mountain Boot Co. They are really helpful; I'd suggest giving them a buzz: 0191 296 0212

https://www.mountainboot.co.uk/
FraserHughes

Postby malrc » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:26 pm

Much appreciated, Fraser. I've dropped them an email asking for an explanation of the differences and will give them a call if required.
malrc
Hill Bagger

Postby Graham H » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:56 pm

Hi malrc,

I'd be really interested in your findings. I'm considering these boots but have yet to try them. (Scarpa lists half euro sizes for them which seems unusually good.)

Cheers
Graham
Graham H
Munro compleatist

Munros:115   Corbetts:15
Hewitts:102
Wainwrights:56   

Postby malrc » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:05 pm

Update on this. Having tried the various options on I went for the Ribelle CL HD, in a half (euro) size; the fit provided by the half size being essential for me in this case.

I found the extra features in the CL HD to be worth the minor weight increase, especially the lacing system which allowed me to get a much more secure fit than the lite.

Unfortunately, I've not had the opportunity to test them in the field, but I see no reason why they shouldn't perform well, as suggested it the few reviews that can be found online.

For what it's worth, I got them for £260 via TrekInn (which despite very mixed reviews, I've never had any issues with; although I've never had to return anything and only order in stock items...)
malrc
Hill Bagger

Postby goral85 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:40 am

malrc wrote:Update on this. Having tried the various options on I went for the Ribelle CL HD, in a half (euro) size; the fit provided by the half size being essential for me in this case.

How are they in terms of width, especially mid foot?
goral85
Mountain Walker

Munros:35   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:11   

Postby malrc » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:07 pm

goral85 wrote:
malrc wrote:Update on this. Having tried the various options on I went for the Ribelle CL HD, in a half (euro) size; the fit provided by the half size being essential for me in this case.

How are they in terms of width, especially mid foot?

I'd say relatively narrow, but not excessively so... I have wider than average feet, especially mid foot (I often find the outside of my foot overhangs the footbed in narrower shoes). In size 44, these were too narrow for me, in 44.5 they are fine (arguably a bit too much space in front of the toes, but I am able to get a firm heel lockdown using the laces).

As with most footwear, but especially technical gear, there is no substitute for trying them on. The issue is the difficulty in finding half sizes in the UK, but I tried both the 44 and 45 and was able to easily determine that the 44.5 would be spot on; I then ordered these online.
malrc
Hill Bagger

Postby goral85 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:49 pm

malrc wrote:
I'd say relatively narrow, but not excessively so... I have wider than average feet, especially mid foot (I often find the outside of my foot overhangs the footbed in narrower shoes). In size 44, these were too narrow for me, in 44.5 they are fine (arguably a bit too much space in front of the toes, but I am able to get a firm heel lockdown using the laces).

Thanks!
I often have the same problem (mid foot overhang) and end up buying 2E width running trainers.
goral85
Mountain Walker

Munros:35   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:11   

Postby malrc » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:55 am

One thing I've learned from a fair bit of trail running is the importance of buying the right size shoes. A lot of people still buy the size that "fits" i.e. if they are a size 9 in a normal shoe, they buy size 9 trail running shoes. Experience and talking to a lot of knowledgeable people is that you want at least a half size up and often a full size.

As a rough guide, I aim for at least a thumb's width of extra space between toes and the front of the shoe. This, combined with proper lacing and fit elsewhere, all but ensures no 'toe bang'. This applies to walking/mountaineering boots as much as to running shoes and is especially relevant for going downhill.

Obviously, this is a generalization. Mountaineering boots need to be able to allow confident edging, etc. So too much room in front, without a stiff enough sole, will be problematic.

I digress though, by sizing up correctly, you also buy a bit more flexibility in width. This certainly won't work for all shoes/foot shapes, but it is worth noting.
malrc
Hill Bagger

Postby mcddrums » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:57 am

Hi All,

Brand new user here. Have been reading many posts with great interest!

Is anyone able to tell me the difference between the OD and HD version of Scarpa boots? I can't seem to find any info on the difference anywhere!

mcddrums
Mountaineer

Postby mcddrums » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:58 pm

If anyone does ever wonder, I now have the answer direct from Scarpa as follows:

In the shortest possible answer, there is no difference.

OD (OutDry) was originally used in our boots, but the name was bought by a different brand, but not the technology. SCARPA then had to update their products under a new Waterproof Membrane Name, hence the HD (Hdry). No change to the product, just an update for legal reasons.
mcddrums
Mountaineer

Postby donnaryan69 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:39 pm

Is it not true that the OD lite have a built in gaiter and the CL HD don’t ?
donnaryan69
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:15

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk