walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Head Torches using USB charging!

Head Torches using USB charging!

Postby crfishwick » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:15 am

I eventually went down this road! Technology "advancement" Unfortunately in my experience a waste of space :wink:
Purchased an Alpkit cheap and cheerful and seemed great. Unfortunately the amount of time usable due to battery life was abysmal. Plus spare USB batteries are not available. I probably could find some on the Internet with a good search. Luckily the said torch does thankfully take normal batteries.

Does anyone now whether the better torches are on a par with old hat changeable batteries torches with respect to holding a charge?
crfishwick

Re: Head Torches using USB charging!

Postby Backpacker » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:46 am

I've got their Qark headtorch and just the business for me.

USB charging (I've usually got a charging pack on me for the phone) plus the USB battery can be removed and bog standard AAA's put in its place (stash of the rucksack)

I also avoid using it on full brightness and get about 5 hours out of it (walking dog for an hour in the dark after work for a week)
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby crfishwick » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:06 pm

Backpacker wrote:I've got their Qark headtorch and just the business for me.

USB charging (I've usually got a charging pack on me for the phone) plus the USB battery can be removed and bog standard AAA's put in its place (stash of the rucksack)

I also avoid using it on full brightness and get about 5 hours out of it (walking dog for an hour in the dark after work for a week)

Ditto mines the quark! Maybe the USB battery is a bummer.
A brilliant torch for the money except for my problem. Thankfully takes AAA batteries although using a portable charger is not the best if walking overnight.
Never actually tested the difference with using the USB battery and triple A's. Will have a look at it.
Any idea where to get spare USB batteries ? Alpkit don't sell them unfortunately.
crfishwick

Postby Backpacker » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:15 pm

I don't carry a spare USB battery. Never had to use it anger yet on the hill but I as I said I keep a stash of AAA's in my rucksack and would use the battery pack to recharge the USB battery while using the AAA's if I had to.
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby bydand_loon » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:47 pm

Been very impressed with the Nitecore NU25 i picked up on AliExpress about 10 months or so back, seems to hold a charge for ages, but TBH i rarely, if ever use it on max lumens and i don't walk at night (the views are sh!t). Strip off the headband and replace with the bungee cord mod and you have a very functional 32g ish head torch

£22 quid on Ali or £36 on Amazon, id bet chocolate bourbons they come from the same place...
bydand_loon
Hill Bagger

Postby davekeiller » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:58 pm

How does the performance of your headtorch compare with what alpkit say it should be?
They quote battery life of 2:30 from a full charge if used on its brightest setting, rising to 18 hours for the lowest brightness.
If what you're getting is significantly different to this from new, that implies you've got one with a duff battery and should see if alpkit can replace it.

I haven't got direct experience with LED headtorches, but LED bike lights work well and it's the same technology!
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby crfishwick » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:12 pm

davekeiller wrote:How does the performance of your headtorch compare with what alpkit say it should be?
They quote battery life of 2:30 from a full charge if used on its brightest setting, rising to 18 hours for the lowest brightness.
If what you're getting is significantly different to this from new, that implies you've got one with a duff battery and should see if alpkit can replace it.

I haven't got direct experience with LED headtorches, but LED bike lights work well and it's the same technology!

Under an hour at full tilt so therefore could be a duff battery. Thought of getting in touch with Alpkit as they are pretty reasonable although some reviews are of the same opinion.
I cannot fathom out why they don't supply replacement USB batteries though? Do other companies?
Anyway testing it with the USB battery and AAA. If the latter lasts longer no problems.
crfishwick

Postby Marty_JG » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:05 pm

I got the Fenix HL60R.

Takes one 18650 Li-ion (rechargeable) or two CR123A (disposable) batteries.

You can swap batteries obviously, but you can also recharge directly into the unit itself.

Good range of brightnesses including very low and red light to keep for night vision.

950 lumens - 48 mins
400 lumens - 3 hrs
150 lumens - 10 hrs runtime
50 lumens - 30 hrs runtime
5 lumens - 100 hrs
Red Light: 100 hrs

Metal casing, bombpoof!
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby crfishwick » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:29 am

Marty_JG wrote:I got the Fenix HL60R.

Takes one 18650 Li-ion (rechargeable) or two CR123A (disposable) batteries.

You can swap batteries obviously, but you can also recharge directly into the unit itself.

Good range of brightnesses including very low and red light to keep for night vision.

950 lumens - 48 mins
400 lumens - 3 hrs
150 lumens - 10 hrs runtime
50 lumens - 30 hrs runtime
5 lumens - 100 hrs
Red Light: 100 hrs

Metal casing, bombpoof!

When I read this I thiught it was watch!
Looks OK might give it a try. Another bit of gear headibing to the attic.
:)
crfishwick

Postby onsen » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:13 am

Another for a nitecore nu25...small, compact & light.
Doesn't give you a neck ache if you use it for a while.
Red light too, so you don't lose your night vision.
I use mine for night walk-ins & spotlighting wildlife. :thumbup:
onsen
Munro compleatist

Postby crfishwick » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:10 am

onsen wrote:Another for a nitecore nu25...small, compact & light.
Doesn't give you a neck ache if you use it for a while.
Red light too, so you don't lose your night vision.
I use mine for night walk-ins & spotlighting wildlife. :thumbup:

Tested my alpkit overnight and all is OK as far as the life of the battery is concerned. Nothing like in the real World! Outside in lower temps a different matter Will stick with it and save me brass :wink:
crfishwick

Postby WalkWithWallace » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:51 am

I got a Forclaz rechargeable headtorch from Decathlon, no complaints so far and has backup 3x AAA batteries too.

I think the annoying feature with the Alpkit Quark is it goes on the brightest mode first, bit of a faux pas from Alpkit. Still a nice bit of kit for the money though. Should last a good while on the lower settings.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby jacob » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:49 am

WalkWithWallace wrote:I got a Forclaz rechargeable headtorch from Decathlon, no complaints so far and has backup 3x AAA batteries too.

I think the annoying feature with the Alpkit Quark is it goes on the brightest mode first, bit of a faux pas from Alpkit. Still a nice bit of kit for the money though. Should last a good while on the lower settings.

Thumbs up for the Forclaz trek 900 as well. You need to know the 400 lumen is a 10 seconds boost, and the brightest standard is 200 lumen. But very userfriendly, not UL but quite light anyway, and of good sturdy quality. Very chuffed with it.
jacob

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:19

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk