walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Poundland are doing a pretty okay AAA COB headlight

Poundland are doing a pretty okay AAA COB headlight

Postby Marty_JG » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:17 pm

I'm going to pick one up as a spare but Scottish legend Big Clive has torn one apart and is impressed with it.

Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:8   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Re: Poundland are doing a pretty okay AAA COB headlight

Postby rikmoncur » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:45 pm

Thanks for the info. Just got myself a couple. £1/each.
rikmoncur
Walker

Munros:1   
Grahams:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:10   

Postby crfishwick » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:11 am

rikmoncur wrote:Thanks for the info. Just got myself a couple. £1/each.

Have you tried them? Do they do what you need. As the YouTube vid was not that informative about performance.
crfishwick

Postby Marty_JG » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:00 pm

I've picked up a pair of them too, plus three packs of pairs of Kodak 300 mAh rechargeable AAA batteries because they take 3xAAA per unit.

So that's £5 for two lanterns with batteries.

Without batteries the unit weighs 20 grams including elastic strap, with the Kodaks it's 40 grams. Low profile and very comfortable. There is no claim of waterproofing and I would be wary about using them in much rain, there is no rubber seal but they're actually quite difficult to open so they should be okay with just a wee bit of dreicht. There isn't a beam as such, just wide diffuse projection of light. To adjust the direction of the beam is very easy - you move your head. :crazy: It's bright, very bright. I glanced into it and it blinded me. :wtf: Hopefully not long-term, COBs are spicy like that. The low power mode is also pretty bright and you must cycle through full bright to get to it, so if you're wanting to keep your night vision keep your eyes closed until the second press. The flash mode looks like it will do the job it is needed for. The button switch itself is excellent, a very distinct and tactile click and it feels like it should last for thousands of cycles. As Big Clive's deconstruction shows the internals look very straightforward so there's no reason to think it won't last.

As for Poundland's Kodak batteries, 300 mAh isn't a huge amount of juice. For comparison Eneloop are 750 mAh and Eneloop Pro are 930 mAh. However current prices on Amazon are Eneloop x4 for £9 and x8 for £15, for Eneloop Pro x4 £15 and x8 for £25. The Kodaks came surprisingly well-charged, I put them in to top-up and they only needed a couple of minutes to fully load.

Fully charged I've just put one on full bright and one on half bright, I'll update with how long they last.

I shouldn't need to say this but if you're thinking of relying on these for your main mountaineering illumination you're as soft in the napper as the wee trainer-clad laddies who went up Nevis in a hurricane. But at £2.50 a pop with reusable batteries, low weight, small size, good comfort, good brightness, there's no reason not to pick a couple up for household use, the car's glovebox, dog walking, ordinary camping or as a spare.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Postby Marty_JG » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:09 pm

So the lamp on full bright was very bright for an hour or so then started to dim, it has gone 5 hours so far and would be okay to scrabble around in a tent but not take outdoors. The half bright lamp started off less bright - duh! - but remained at a good brightness for a couple of hours, again it has it the 5 hour mark but interestingly from hours 3 to 5 it was noticeably brighter than the full-bright lamp. So the half-bright option does seem much more efficient - which yes I would expect in terms of lasting longer, but aside from the start it been brighter too. Even at the 5-hour mark with these weedy 300 mAh batteries the flash mode is still quite eye-catching. Nothing like my Fenix powerhouse of course but much better than nothing.

At this five hour mark I took the units into a dark room (my bathroom is a converted internal room, no windows) and I was able to read with each of them. Not nicely, I wouldn't want to read a book, but certainly enough to discern 'stuff' in a tent.

I have a plastic case to carry AA/AAA batteries and I just gave it a shot on the scale: 14 grams. So for 6 more grams rather than take spare batteries with me I might as well take 2 of the units in the pack.

Hope this helps.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk