walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Merrell Waterpro Maipo Water Shoe

Merrell Waterpro Maipo Water Shoe

Postby boenali85 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:24 pm

Hi, I am going to be hiking the Scottish National Trail this year and I will mostly be wearing my Meindl Bhutans, which are fabulously comfy, and waterproof in most conditions. However, having done lots of research I am looking at ditching my hiking boots for a more water-friendly hiking shoe, as I know there will be little I can do to keep the water out of my boots when fording the deep rivers and seriously boggy areas of the Cape Wrath section of the trail (even though I have gaiters and waterproof trousers).

I am considering the Merrell Waterpro Maipo Water Shoe and I'm wondering if anyone else has tried these on the Cape Wrath trail (or similar environment)? They review well for letting water run out, being lightweight and drying quickly, but I'd like to know how they are for comfort, whether they stand up against rough track and under the weight of a pack.

Or if anybody can recommend an alternative shoe then I am always open to persuasion!

Many thanks!
boenali85
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:6

Re: Merrell Waterpro Maipo Water Shoe

Postby crfishwick » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:32 pm

Cannot recommend any trainers. Other people will

But to your comment about river.crossings take a pair of light sandals, plimsolls and remove boots etc then wade.

I did the CWT in Bhutans and never had wet feet plus WP socks. Some folk will advise not to wear boots as they're to heavy. Each to their own but I don't have any problems. I 'ain't a marathon runner.😃
crfishwick

Postby boenali85 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:19 pm

crfishwick wrote:Cannot recommend any trainers. Other people will

But to your comment about river.crossings take a pair of light sandals, plimsolls and remove boots etc then wade.

I did the CWT in Bhutans and never had wet feet plus WP socks. Some folk will advise not to wear boots as they're to heavy. Each to their own but I don't have any problems. I 'ain't a marathon runner.😃

Thanks crfishwick, I already have a pair of lightweight rubber shoes for fording, but was thinking of upgrading them to something I can also walk in. It's great to hear that you kept your feet dry on the CWT though, maybe there is hope for me! :D I'm not worried about the weight of my boots, so would prefer to wear them for the whole trail if I can...
boenali85
Mountaineer

Postby scoob999 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:27 pm

I have a pair and i dont think they'd last long if you were hiking in them? they're basically just a mesh trainer, I'd just take a pair of crocks for river crossings.
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby Giant Stoneater » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:20 pm

To keep weight down I normally don't take spare shoes all I do is take socks off,remove insoles,cross river,once your walking again it doesn't take long for them to dry out again.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby crfishwick » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:00 am

scoob999 wrote:I have a pair and i dont think they'd last long if you were hiking in them? they're basically just a mesh trainer, I'd just take a pair of crocks for river crossings.

Agreed. I tried the CWT in a well known trainer. Unfortunately knackered by the time I got to Sheil bridge! When I bombed out. Infact @ Glenfinnan when the uppers got ripped on the rocks.
Second attempt Boots all the way. :wink:
crfishwick

Postby Mal Grey » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:16 pm

Being a regular paddler, I've owned quite a few "water shoes" from manufactures like Salomon and Teva, though not these specific ones. Not one of them has been nearly supportive enough to consider for day walks on easy terrain, let alone a multi-day epic across rough country. They're also definitely less durable.

I am of the "boots" camp myself, I want the support.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby boenali85 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:34 pm

Thanks everyone for your feedback and comments. Before I saw your replies about trail shoes not being durable enough for day trekking, I bought some Altra Lone Peaks (following a recommendation). However, they have a fault on the heel which means I will have to return them, so, based on your feedback I think I will just revert to my boots...

Also, I recently did a 12 mile walk, 6 of which was through flood water - I only had my boots with me so had no choice but to get them wet. They remained perfectly comfortable even though they were full of water the whole time... (they did take days to dry out though!)
boenali85
Mountaineer

Postby scoob999 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:26 pm

boenali85 wrote:Thanks everyone for your feedback and comments. Before I saw your replies about trail shoes not being durable enough for day trekking, I bought some Altra Lone Peaks (following a recommendation). However, they have a fault on the heel which means I will have to return them, so, based on your feedback I think I will just revert to my boots...

Also, I recently did a 12 mile walk, 6 of which was through flood water - I only had my boots with me so had no choice but to get them wet. They remained perfectly comfortable even though they were full of water the whole time... (they did take days to dry out though!)

We use inov8 boots most of the year and are well up to hiking in rough ground, we usually only get 1 season out of them but we think its worth it for the comfort and lightness, so i wouldn't write off trainers altogether :D the merrell ones you asked about are just a light mesh and wouldn't stand up to heather very well i imagine :?
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby whiteburn » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:11 pm

boenali85 wrote:Thanks everyone for your feedback and comments. Before I saw your replies about trail shoes not being durable enough for day trekking, I bought some Altra Lone Peaks (following a recommendation). However, they have a fault on the heel which means I will have to return them, so, based on your feedback I think I will just revert to my boots...

I've used Inov8, Merrell, Salomon, Altras for years, regularly get 1000km+ out of a pair.
Sportshoes.com usually have a good selection at reasonable prices; once I've found a make/ model that I like I'll usually stock up in the autumn/ winter when prices drop.
Would never wear boots again excepting when there's snow.
whiteburn
Stravaiging

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk