walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

failed tent

failed tent

Postby al78 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:59 pm

As I am going up to Scotland for a couple of days backpacking in May, I decided to take advantage of the foul weather this weekend and pitch my tent (Zephyros 2) in the back garden, to check it could keep the rain out during which tends be the worst weather I experience in the warmer months in Scotland. Needless to say it failed, I found a pool of water inside,. which would have been enough to make me wet if I were sleeping in it. I suspect it took some damage on my trip last June, there is a bit of rope on one side which is a dead end (it isn't attached to anything, but looks like it should). I therefore think I should chuck it and buy a new one, which is a shame as I really liked the ease of pitching it, and how pitching the outer protects the inner from rain. Can anyone recommend a two man tent (it is only me sleeping in it) that is lightweight (2 kg or less), and can withstand the equivalent weather conditions we have experienced over the last two weekends.

I am disappointed that it couldn't last two trips.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Re: failed tent

Postby jmarkb » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:12 pm

Recent weather is a pretty severe test - if the outer and inner touched each other in strong winds, that could be the reason for the water ingress. I would not be so hasty to chuck it out.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Gordymck » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:53 pm

Maybe check out a YouTube vid on that particular tent, see what it is that's missing and maybe give you an idea if that's why it failed and possibly repairable.
Gordymck
Scrambler

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Marty_JG » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:15 pm

As others have said, you should try to fix your tent. Where is the water coming in? Tents can be reproofed and seam-sealed.

For new, cheap, and reliable: if you use walking poles, LanShan 2. If you want freestanding pretty much anything by NatureHike.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby al78 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:25 pm

Ok, I'll have another look and pitch again in more clement weather. I've just looked at an online video and I suspect I pitched incorrectly (specifically pegging incorrectly and in the wrong order), it was dark, windy and rainy at the time, and I was trying to do it quickly.
al78
Walker

Postby Gordymck » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:49 pm

al78 wrote:Ok, I'll have another look and pitch again in more clement weather. I've just looked at an online video and I suspect I pitched incorrectly (specifically pegging incorrectly and in the wrong order), it was dark, windy and rainy at the time, and I was trying to do it quickly.

This weather the best to test it to its capabilities, good practise for yourself for when out on the field.
Gordymck
Scrambler

Postby Giant Stoneater » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:48 am

Once erected and if you have a hosepipe with a shower attachement you could shower the tent to see if there is any water ingress.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby rgf101 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:29 pm

Even if you can't fix it, stick it on ebay for spares and repairs. There'll be someone somewhere with a differently-broken Zephyros 2 who wants it to cannibalise.
rgf101

Postby al78 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:36 pm

Gordymck wrote:
al78 wrote:Ok, I'll have another look and pitch again in more clement weather. I've just looked at an online video and I suspect I pitched incorrectly (specifically pegging incorrectly and in the wrong order), it was dark, windy and rainy at the time, and I was trying to do it quickly.

This weather the best to test it to its capabilities, good practise for yourself for when out on the field.

Yes, that was the point of the exercise. I need to perfect my pitching technique in poor weather. Last year I pitched in those conditions half way up the Fannichs. I got the tent up and stayed dry, but had problems with the tent flapping on my face, so had a poor nights sleep. I need to go through the online video and look carefully on how to get both the outer and inner tensioned properly.
al78
Walker

Postby Gordymck » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:41 pm

It was during a storm like the kind we've had recently that made me reassess how I pack my kit, was a useful lesson.
Gordymck
Scrambler

Postby Marty_JG » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:08 am

Something that happens in high-winds on hills is the tent can endure but it gets ripped out of the ground, it has happened over the years from Lomond to Nevis.

If you're going to do storm camping you should look to some storm pegs.

https://deltagroundanchors.co.uk/
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Postby al78 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:49 am

Marty_JG wrote:Something that happens in high-winds on hills is the tent can endure but it gets ripped out of the ground, it has happened over the years from Lomond to Nevis.

If you're going to do storm camping you should look to some storm pegs.

https://deltagroundanchors.co.uk/

It wasn't my intention to do storm camping last June, the first half of June last year was poor weatherwise in Scotland thanks to persistent low pressure. If the gale hits on the very first night, there is little I can do but ride it out as best I can.
al78
Walker

Postby Marty_JG » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:03 pm

It wasn't the intention of the guy on Nevis either. Forecast was for 40 mph winds, they ended up closer to 100. I first saw them used on vids by Scots Wildcamper, they're useful not just for gale-force but if the wind picks up even just a wee bit in rain given how muddy and marshy Scotland can get. They go in they stay in.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Postby al78 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:30 pm

Thanks, I'll bear that in mind.

I have dried the tent and brought it indoors to have a closer look. There were two issues:

1. I made a balls up of pitching it in the dark. Having inspected the bottom of the outer and inner, I have refreshed myself on the location of the loops on the inner which need to be attached to the pegs.

2. On each side of the centre, where the main pole slides across the width of the tent, there is a T-shaped thing attached to the inner which hooks onto a small loop on the outer (right next to where the pole goes through the eyelet, this presumably to maintain tension on the inner and prevent it flapping about in the wind. The T shaped thing on one side has been ripped off, which has partially perforated the inner. Thankfully, the T shaped thing was sewn on an extra small patch of material, so the perforation is on that patch, and has not gone all the way through the main canvas. It is not clear whether the waterproof abilities of the inner have been compromised.

This weekend, I'll have a go at pitching it correctly and leave it for a day or three, then see if water gets inside, and if so, note where.
al78
Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk