walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

West Highland Way Book Recommendations

West Highland Way Book Recommendations

Postby macq23 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:29 am

Looking for a decent book to read about the West Highland Way. Any recommendations?

Thanks
macq23
Hill Bagger

Munros:52   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:6

Re: West Highland Way Book Recommendations

Postby Marty_JG » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:38 am

The one with the longest legacy and most updates is the Official Guide by Aitken & Smith, it's probably the one by which all others are measured. Disclaimer: I haven't read it or any of the main-route books.

A great companion book is NOT The West Highland Way by Turnbull, it gives alternate routes and detours but also plenty of advice on the main trail and it's wonderfully written ("Conic The Hedgehog"!). Yes I have read it and yes it's great.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby fhaggis » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:13 am

Hey, never souses a guide book bit for the west highland way you really don’t need one, don’t really need a map.

I keep changing my mind on guidebooks, after the first time I walked the whw I fancied the idea of a guidebook to let me know info about the history of the places etc I passed but at the same time I like a long distance trail for the “flexibility” of doing what I want and worry I’d get bogged down in what the guide book said to do etc

Hope that helps lol
fhaggis
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Marty_JG » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:20 pm

Aren't they really for whetting the appetite beforehand and a bit of evening reading on the trail? Just like we can have done a hill or route, perhaps several times, but it's always good to read more trip reports even though we don't really "need" them.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby abbruce » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:03 pm

Not books, but I'd recommend anyone doing the WHW to read these excellent reports.

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=91951

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=91955

abbruce
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:23
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Manwaeadug » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:04 pm

I've not read any books on it, but I'll be in interested in the suggestions you get as I'll be looking to pick one up soon.

As mentioned, the reports on here are pretty good. I enjoyed the Hounds Of Howgate videos of WHW on You Tube, full of tips on the route, camping etc; it's actually a pretty good channel for info on lots of different walks I reckon. Abbie Barnes is another good channel with a good report on WHW.
Manwaeadug
Walker

Munros:1   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:4   
Walk wish-list

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk