walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Waterproof Jacket

Re: Waterproof Jacket

Postby goral85 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:23 am

StewF wrote:£150 sounds a bargain a very high spec jacket for the money.

:D

I know 20k water resistance!
So why would anyone buy gore-tex these days?
goral85
Mountain Walker

Munros:38   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:11   

Postby Bonzo » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:48 pm

goral85 wrote:Any experience with non-Gore membranes?
This jacket is on really good sale now:

https://www.mammut.com/uk/en/p/1010-26480-3544/masao-hs-hooded-jacket-men/?adword=google/UK_EN_GSN_PLA_Shopping_Smart%20Shopping_Sale_CSS/Sale/&gclid=Cj0KCQjwu6fzBRC6ARIsAJUwa2SSB5aB7AF_ROAsWNe46yyQ4SVL5WNaophCpfScVQs2z4y5hU_U-l0aArB2EALw_wcB

And I am wondering, is there even a point in Gore Tex any more? The parameters on the above jacket are really solid. When one is buying gore, is one mainly paying for the hype?

My experiences of non-Gore technologies over the years haven't been great.

Sympatex and Event were absolute crap. Triple Point Ceramic wasn't too bad but weighed a ton. I assume all of these are now consigned to the history books.

I've never fancied Paramo so it's been Goretex for me for a few years now.
Bonzo
Mountain Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:96
Wainwrights:147   

Postby goral85 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:27 pm

Could anyone compare sizing between Arc'Teryx and RAB?
I'm an XL in RAB shells but thinking about trying Arc'Teryx. Might have to order online and not sure what size I should go for.

In can fit a base layer and a synthetic insulated jacket under a XL in RAB and looking for the same fit in Arc'Teryx.

Thanks!
goral85
Mountain Walker

Munros:38   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:11   

Postby bydand_loon » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:26 am

goral85 wrote:Could anyone compare sizing between Arc'Teryx and RAB?
I'm an XL in RAB shells but thinking about trying Arc'Teryx. Might have to order online and not sure what size I should go for.

In can fit a base layer and a synthetic insulated jacket under a XL in RAB and looking for the same fit in Arc'Teryx.

Thanks!

I have one or two RAB bits and a ridiculous amount of Arcteryx, XL in both fit me perfectly. The Zeta range of jackets have plenty room for layering, they go from a super light style right up to bomb proof, so you need to decide what you want from the jacket before ordering

Patagonia, Marmot and OR are the same, all fit similar to Rab/Arcteryx.

Montbell XL is a bit smaller fitting but still fits ok.

Fjallraven is weird, some bits are huge, some too fitted and some perfect, really needs tried on.

Montane, pointless me buying or even looking at it these days. the only bits that fit are trousers, jackets and tops are always to small/fitted

Alpkit, only ever had a couple of long sleeve t shirts and they were even smaller fitting than montane.

More than you asked for, but I'm bored :D
bydand_loon
Hill Bagger

Postby Veryhappybunny » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:41 pm

I have been very pleased with Paramo - I use an Andina jacket that has lasted 5 years with no problems. I like that if you damage Paramo clothing they will send you patches (as well as offering to repair for you).

I have heard good things of Keela hill clothing, but not bought any myself.
Veryhappybunny
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:159
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:90
Wainwrights:163   Islands:8

Postby PermaHeretic » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:52 pm

Sgurr wrote: so I was furious that I was stupid enough to offer what I thought the lowest they would accept namely £150 which they immediately accepted rather than trying lower and seeing when they cracked

Don't beat yourself up. They wouldn't have 'cracked', it doesn't work like that. 'Best Offer' is just a seller strategy. Not only does it hook you in, because you are making an offer (which feels as if you are getting it cheaper) but when it is accepted, you are contractually bound to buy it. They don't sit there thinking and considering and deciding, all crackable, they'll have automatic 'accept' and 'reject' set. For a few quid (which they allow for when setting the main price) they can guarantee the sale.
PermaHeretic
Ambler

Munros:12   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:3   

Postby FulstoneFlyer » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:35 pm

For winter and big rain days I have just bought the ME GTX Saltoro jacket and trousers to replace (excellent) Rohan Barricade set because I have lost a lot of weight and they are like a sail in the wind, a friend asked for help on a very restricted budget.

I came up with this from Decathlon; mens-waterproof-mountain-walking-jacket-mh500

Appreciate it is 15,000 (whatever) but feel that if if it is just a shell for day hikes then this represents great value at £69. Decathlon are well known for their technical research and quality/value.

For circa £150 then you might look at RAB's offerings in that price range, I use their Men's Kinetic 2.0 Waterproof Jacket for summer and golf when just a single base layer is needed underneath.

Good luck
FulstoneFlyer
Hill Bagger

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:38 am

Just remember that no "breathable" jacket can breathe if its exterior is covered in rain (laws of physics). So don't expect the impossible. If it's raining and you are sweating, the inside of the jacket will get wet.

Worth reading Andy Kirkpatrick's thoughts on this...
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk