walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Tent for Solo Backpacking - 2.2kg too heavy?

Tent for Solo Backpacking - 2.2kg too heavy?

Postby LauraG1 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:06 pm

I'm looking for a tent to do some solo long distance trails with (eg WHW etc). I like the look of the Vaude Terra Hogan. It looks like a well made, comfortable tent. However, I'm concerned that maybe 2.2kg would be too heavy, and that I should be looking at something lighter. What would be considered a good weight?
I've seen the Vaude Hogan SUL, Vaude Power Lizard, Terra Nova Laser, F10 Helium, all lighter tents, but I'm not sure as to how robust or comfortable they would be.
I'm a 5'5" female btw.
Would love to hear what people think. Go with the Terra Hogan or look at something else.
LauraG1
Munro compleatist

Re: Tent for Solo Backpacking - 2.2kg too heavy?

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:58 am

You can knock almost 1 kg off that weight with an F10 Helium. I've been quite happy with mine so far in terms of strength in quite strong wind, though it does tend to make quite a bit of noise when it flaps. This was in a strong wind in the Cairngorms...
20180809_060049.jpg

On the broader front of weight reduction when solo overnighting, it's quite remarkable how you can cut down weight if you put your mind to it.
I used to use (for winter camping):-
Rucksack: 2.2kg
Tent: 2.6kg
Sleeping Bag: 1.6 kg
Mattress: 0.6kg
TOTAL: 7kg

I then decided this was silly, and moved to:-
Rucksack: 1.1kg
Tent: 1.35 kg
Sleeping Bag: 0.8kg
Mattress: 0.2 kg [3/4 length inflatable)
TOTAL: 3.45kg

And even lighter if I bivvy...
Sleeping gear weight saving (red).jpg

PS the one area where I really think it's worth sacrificing weight for comfort is tent size: the difference in weight between a typical 1 man tent and the same type as a 2 man is negligible, but the increase in comfort is huge. So I would recommend always getting a tent 1 man size bigger than you plan to use it for (eg 3 man tent for 2 people). My Helium is the 2 man version.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Marty_JG » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:25 pm

If you use walking poles anyway you might want to look at the LanShan tents.

For £100 you'll get a 1-stick 1-person pyramid or 2-stick 2-person tent that'll come in around 1kg.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby davekeiller » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:52 pm

I've carried a 2kg tent before and it's perfectly feasible!
It's possible to get sub-1kg tents, but remember that people have been wildcamping since the days of cotton canvas, and those were never as light as 2kg.
Pack your rucksack and weigh it - ideally it should be less than about a quarter of your bodyweight.
I'd see what your total pack weight is likely to be, and then consider how much you need to reduce it by, and how much you're willing to spend to do so.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby john.malley » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:46 pm

I've moved from my hilleberg atko to mountain laurel designs tarp tents, the Trailstar and Duomid which are just as windfirm, particularly the former and all under a 1kg, the latter about 400grm. I've also given up with using an inner tent other than a net one in midge season .. A big sheet of double glazing film, all of £3.50 from wickes, tough as old boots and waterproof yet weighs a few ounces as the ground sheer, and to top it all off if you want real lightweight bubblewrap as a mattress, just choose a soft site. If you want to reduce sleeping bag weight, just get a dog, they make good bot waterbottles!
https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=56159557%40N07&sort=date-taken-desc&text=Trailstar&view_all=1
john.malley
Stravaiging

Munros:182   Corbetts:10
Fionas:6   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:188
Wainwrights:214   

Postby jacob » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:05 am

I wouldn't argue a 2.2 is too heavy per se, it depends on all other gear you bring.
But it seems for the Terra Hogan, you carry kilo's for specs you don't need.
The double pole system for example, is nice and stylish, but unneccessary if you ask me. It doesn't add to weather(wind)proofness. The 7001 alu is always a bit heavier as well compared to 7075 versions.
PU coatings normally can be quite on the heavy side as well. A 5000 PU where a 2000 PU would perfectly stand up to any weather as well, is also carrying unneccessary weight, which goes for the 6000 floor as well (keeping in mind that most people bring a footprint as well).
My 2 cents.
jacob

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:19

Postby Wandererssolo » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:00 pm

I have a Coleman Cobra which weighs around 2.2kg and it’s fine. For a sub £100 tent it was a good start. I need a 2 man fir a dog to join me. I’ve just recently invested in a F10 Xenon U/L at a reasonable price from Summits in Paisley (an eBay seller too). The weight saving is good news since my Berghaus pack is on the heavy side so I need to make weight savings elsewhere. It’s worth pointing out that I’m 6ft and weigh more than is good for me. If you are smaller and lighter you might want to try the Xenon. You might also wish to think about what height you need to sit up and get dressed. I’m a bit of a stiffy thing with dodgy knees. On day 2 of a walk, if the tent is too low I can get cramps in very sore places at the wrong time. Worth looking at some of the Chinese brand tents that are copies of more expensive brands. Some of them are very light.
Wandererssolo
Hill Bagger

Munros:9   
Fionas:1   

Postby JSMacleod » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:54 am

I decided to more or less do the same as you, except I got the vaude terratrio 2p (same tent just marginally heavier I think). I thought the weight:quality:price ratio was alright since I got mine for £125 but I still haven't been able to use it properly.
JSMacleod
Scrambler

Munros:2   

Postby rockhopper » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:58 am

Over the years I've saved weight in various areas, eg rucksack down from Berghaus 2.5kg to Osprey Exos 1.1kg, sleeping bag down from synthetic 1.3kg to Down 700gr etc.
However, I've stuck with the Vango Banshee at 2kg - very quick to set up in a oner with the inner already attached and withstands strong winds and rain. Being a two person also gives more room inside. Have carried over multi munro days and I'm not the fittest/youngest so eminently doable.
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby walkingpoles » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:42 pm

2.2 kg makes for good training:)
I already have back problems, so it was a nonbrainer for me to get something lighter (Hilleberg in my case. 1.2kg or so). I don't know where the optimum is. Tents < 1kg appear not to be too robust (unless it's a tarp or a single sheet tent).
walkingpoles
Stravaiging

Munros:218   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:8

Postby Marty_JG » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:58 pm

walkingpoles wrote:Tents < 1kg appear not to be too robust

Depends what you mean by robustness. Being scratch-resistance from a spiky tree or hawthorne bush? Sure. Do you mean resisting the elements? That might be the case for the Big Agnes Fly Creek HV1 range the or Nemo Hornet Elite or the MSR Freelite, etc., but they're tents with ultralight internal frames, that's a hiding to nothing. Ferocious winds will win against them. But a trekking pole tension tent, whether it's expensive from ZPacks or TarpTent, silly cheap from 3FUL, or mid-range from Six Moon Designs or Big Sky, is just about the most ridiculously weather-resistant tent you can get short of a geodesic Nordic monster you drag behind you on a sled.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby davy_ludo » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:45 pm

Came across this post after thinking the exact same thing, understand it is a few months old now but thought I would throw in my thougths...

I have used a Vango Banshee 200 for the best part of 10 years. It's been a cracking tent and kept me mostly safe and dry (except for once last year where I took an absolute hammering at the top of Bynack More). The only thing that annoys me about the banshee, is having to do gymnastics inside when you want to get changed (I know there are smaller tents, but it's something I struggle with). So this year, I decided that it was time for a new tent.

After some research I realised that the average tent weight had dropped a lot in the last 10 years (well, in terms of what is now available within my budget). I looked at a few light(er)weight tents (1.2-1.5kg) but was always either concerned about space/strength/internal space (or the fact they suggested using an additional groundsheet). In the end... I opted for a Terra Nova Pioneer 2 (in the sale), after seeing some good YouTube videos of it in action, as it seemed like a good balance of what I was looking for.

It's basically the same weight as my old Banshee (around 2.1 - 2.2kg), but feels a lot more stable/robust. I can also easily sit in it (if it's raining) and get changed without having to resort to being a contortionist! I know I probably could have saved 0.5kg or more quite easily going for a single pole design with thinner fabric (I think the waterproof figures of the Pioneer 2 are probably overkill for my spring to autumn wild camping). But there is something that just gives me peace of mind about knowing I'm protected. It also has a thick bathtub groundsheet, so I don't feel I need to worry about taking an additional one (something that I've never done anyway).

Since buying the Pioneer, I have certainly had a couple of occasions where I've had buyers remorse: "Oh no, everyone is talking about 1kg tents. Did I make a mistake? Am I carrying too much?". But then I think about what I used to carry 15 years ago when I first started camping. At the end of the day, I'm happy to carry a 2.2kg tent for solo use, because it gives me peace of mind and comfort - it ticks the boxes that are personally important to me.
davy_ludo
Mountain Walker

Munros:63   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby HikerSteve » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:51 pm

I was fortunate to be given a Nordisk Telemark.
Having done numerous backpack and multi day Munro trips with it it's been perfect for me.
As others have said, if you can save some weight throughout your kit it helps.
Your big three are Rucksack, Tent and Sleeping Bag. These give you the biggest opportunity for weight saving. Sleeping Matts also vary so worth checking.
My take is the lighter the load, the more comfortable you will be for longer days.
But there's always allowance for an extra choccie bar :lol:
HikerSteve
Munro compleatist

Postby weaselmaster » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:05 pm

I have one of the early spaces models which is a 2 man tent using walking poles that weighs 500g. Trouble is that it isn’t that easy to pitch ( I think later models got a bit easier) and I don’t really trust it, though without good reason for that prejudice- it served us well at the summit of Baosbheinn.
The Hilleberg Enan is the lighter, 3 season version of the Akto and is really easy to pitch and has been highly reliable when I’ve used it, weighs around 1.1k and packs down really quite small. It is expensive, being a Hille, but it’s a quality tent.
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:196   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk