walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Wellies on Munros?

Re: Wellies on Munros?

Postby thespiritofsimon » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:08 am

Ace. Thank you.
thespiritofsimon
Hill Bagger

Postby Hike Man » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:32 am

I prefer trail running shoes and a waterproof sock for the wet bits. Light, friendly and blister free. You get a few weird looks from folks if you choose different but if it works then you don’t need to be conventional. I would only look out my heavy boots now for winter conditions. Wellies always sooked my feet which made them look like prunes by the end of a day.
Hike Man

Munros:40   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Scraggygoat » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:04 pm

Doug Scott famously got his then young kids up either Himalayan peak, or technical pass (I forget which) in wellies.

I knew someone whom for early winter season fitness training would walk into the Northern Corries in stout industrial wellies, put on some strap on crampons, and solo Grade 1 or 2 ground (Jacobs ladder, Aladins Coulior, occasionally the Runnel.) Aiming to be on the plateau around an hour after leaving the car park.

I also knew someone whom did a glacial approach in teva sandals with crampons bodged on, as he couldn't face wearing his plastic boots (this is going back a bit).

Of the two; wellies is definately the more sensible!
Scraggygoat

Postby NigellaDamascena » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:46 am

I walk everywhere in wellies. The other week I completed two very tricky peaks, over 13 miles, in the Lakes in my £15 Dunlop wellies. There is a huge snobbery around having the correct ‘gear’ and, indeed, I own two fairly pricey pairs of walking boots but I can’t wear them since ankle surgery left one ankle a little misshapen. On every attempted outing, even in the pair of post-op, specially bought, low rise walking shoes (Merrells) I get blisters. So, wellies it is. I find the grip is great. My feet are always dry. I’ve yet to get a single blister. Across places like Dartmoor they are an absolute must! But I get ‘looks’ and even, sometimes, comments. But my successful, blister-free, adventures are worth all the ‘rank amateur’ glances! Because of where I live, I mostly walk on flat, muddy riversides, where anything else would be a disaster! Wear your wellies with confidence! (Although I would say invest in really good socks, Bridgedales are worth every penny.)
NigellaDamascena

Postby thespiritofsimon » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:48 pm

NigellaDamascena wrote:I walk everywhere in wellies. Wear your wellies with confidence!

Thank you. I shall wear them with pride too. Mine are Bekina Steplite EasyGrip. I love them - hardy, super-light and grippy. They came up large for me so I got one size lower than usual.

https://new.bekina-boots.com/en/agriculture/steplite-easygrip-agrilite/
thespiritofsimon
Hill Bagger

Postby AyrshireAlps » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:11 pm

@Caberfeidh I've wished for waders in the Gallowaya few times, especially in that Girvan eye death hole! :lol:
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby Booga » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:50 pm

I once picked up a hitch-hiker on The Devil's Staircase in Mid-Wales who had been up a snowy Drygarn Fawr in his work wellies. He worked in forestry and was used to wearing them every day so used them for hiking as well. Personally I've never found a pair that have fitted well enough to consider them for hillwalking but I guess it depends on the individual's foot shape and if you work 5 days a week in anything your feet will get used to them.

I've seen those Harris Dryboots mentioned a few times. Does anyone have experience with them and any idea how stiff they are?
Booga
Ambler

Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:5   Islands:12

Postby NeepNeep » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:24 pm

I've worn wellies up a few Munros...and Corbetts. They aren't with me any more but they were very comfortable. Their replacements are still to be taken up a hill. My take was that if I could spend days standing, dancing and staggering around Glastonbury without any ill effects then a few munros would be a breeze. :D Just be aware of their limitations...I wouldn't want them on most hills or to do super long days.....but the odd one here and there is fine.
NeepNeep
Stravaiging

Munros:105   Corbetts:28
Fionas:10   Donalds:5
Hewitts:75
Wainwrights:79   

Postby Spade » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:13 pm

I wore mine recently for the walk in at the bottom of swampy ben Starav. Fine for this and I swapped for my boots, then stashed them in a carrier bag for my return at the bottom of the mountain. I regularly use my wellies for the walk in where I know its swampy slogs, Carry my boots in a poly bag then swap over for the mountain itself. Wouldn't' wear up a mountain though. They do have a place and can be used but with consideration. :)
Spade

Munros:80   Corbetts:5

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk