walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Crampons

Crampons

Postby kainhamilton » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:11 pm

Hi there,

I’m looking to buy a first set of crampons for my girlfriend and I and looking for some advice. We are looking at using them for winter walking but with the option to progress to more technical stuff. We both have scarpa B2 boots- mantas and chamroz

We are looking at the Grivel G10 New Matic OR Airtech New Matic

I understand that the Air tech is a bit lighter and has 2 extra spikes which make them more technical? Any advice would be much appreciated.
kainhamilton
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   

Re: Crampons

Postby jmarkb » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:59 pm

It's not going to make a huge amount of difference, but if you want to tackle steeper terrain (Grade 1 gullies and winter scrambles) then Airtechs would be better. If you are wanting to get into technical ice climbing, you should really be looking at B3 boots, and crampons with vertical front points (e.g. G14s) but these will be a lot less comfortable to walk in.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby madprof » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:13 pm

kainhamilton wrote:Hi there,

I’m looking to buy a first set of crampons for my girlfriend and I and looking for some advice. We are looking at using them for winter walking but with the option to progress to more technical stuff. We both have scarpa B2 boots- mantas and chamroz

We are looking at the Grivel G10 New Matic OR Airtech New Matic

I understand that the Air tech is a bit lighter and has 2 extra spikes which make them more technical? Any advice would be much appreciated.

I have G10 crampons with Mantas and I like to do grade 1 winter scrambles on my own and have done a grade 2 as well. Never had a problem with the crampons. However when I finally come to upgrade I shall be getting the Airtech New-Matic ones as the front points are longer and I'd appreciate the extra security.
madprof
Mountaineer

Munros:60   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Walk wish-list

Postby Caberfeidh » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:07 am

Gaaaaarrrrrnnn, we didn't have fancy boot/crampon combos when I were a 'prentice! We simply wore any boots we could and suffered crippling foot pain as a result! Bendy boots, bendy crampons, bread-and-dripping and a healthy respect for not falling off. We used to dream of living int' cardboard box...

Glen Coe climb#1r.jpg
Cripplingly sore feet - the mark of a true ice climber!

Y-Gully-r.jpg
Crampons and slightly bendy boots - fun for all the family!

Glen Coe climb#4r.jpg
Crampons ~ reaching places other footwear cannot reach.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby shinenotburn » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:10 am

I have been using Air Tech Newmatics with Mantas and they work well together. Fine on Grade 1/2 and I would expect the boots to be the limiting factor before the crampons if you wanted to do anything harder.
One tip I picked up which works well is that I have replaced the standard bars with the more flexible ones Grivel make which has resulted in a really good fit.
shinenotburn
Mountaineer

Munros:212   Corbetts:16
Fionas:7   Donalds:27
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   

Postby davekeiller » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:51 pm

The G10 is an entry level 10 point crampon designed to fit a slightly flexible B1 boot (will be fine with a B2), fine for winter walking but a bit limiting if you want to get into steeper/more technical routes. The Air tech is a 12 point crampon designed for a stiff B2 boot which will be more suited to steeper/ more technical routes that the G10.
In short, either should be fine for winter walking, but if it was me I'd get the air tech because it gives more options if you want to try steeper routes on grade 1 or 2 terrain.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Jim777 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:09 pm

An alternative might be the G12 New Classics which you could wear with your Mantas and Charmoz. You would also be able to attach them to B1 boots if you wanted to wear something less clunky and heavy. A good all round option I feel.
Jim777
Mountain Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk