walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

TN Laser comp 1, MSR Freelite 1 or Nordisk Telemark?

TN Laser comp 1, MSR Freelite 1 or Nordisk Telemark?

Postby TheWildHaggis » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:26 pm

Hi Folks,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I am looking for replacement 1person lightweight backpacking tent to be used in spring/ summer and autumn. I currently have an old Gelert Solo, which has been great, having spent many nights in gorms and lasted my on the WHW. However the tent is rather limited on space, (sneeze and your head hits the inner tent) and as I am no longer as flexible as i once was getting dressed in it is becoming more a problem.

I am looking at something a bit lighter (Gelart is 1600g), more spacious and with a bit of a porch to store rucksack and boots,

At the moment i am looking at the highly recommended TN Lase Comp 1, and MSR Freelite 1, Nordisk Telemark.

The TN Lase has the best weatherproofing, something that appears to be an issue with some of the MSR tents as the seems are not sealed, The Nordisk reads good but some of the reviews say it suffers from terrible condensation.

Any thoughts?
TheWildHaggis
Munro compleatist

Re: TN Laser comp 1, MSR Freelite 1 or Nordisk Telemark?

Postby SMRussell » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:53 pm

Hi Wild Haggis :D

I have a Terra Nova Laser Comp 1. It has been put through its paces including a thru-hiking through Iceland's interior from Skogar to Akureyri in 2016 and the first 100km (IIRC) of the Kungsleden (King's Trail) in Northern Sweden from STF Abisko to STF Vakkotavare in 2019. Performed almost perfectly on both. It suffered an easy to mend tear on the lava desert in Iceland (my own fault as I didn't put down a ground sheet). I managed well with the living space, but I am 5 foot 1 and a UK size 8. I can also just about cook in the porch (but shhh, for safety reasons I didn't say that!)

DSC02481.jpg
TN Laser Comp 1 in Iceland

Having had a good look at the Nordisk Telemark in Tiso it definitely will have issues with condensation! My partner and I ended up purchasing a Nordisk Halland 2 lw for when we wild camp together. It is a cracking piece of gear. Packs down to almost the same size as my Laser Comp 1. Loads of ventilation, tones of space, huge porch for cooking in. Love it. Seriously. I love that tent. I've attached a pic from the KT of my Laser Comp 1 next to my friend's Nordisk Halland 2 (the darker green of the larger tents) and a cheap copy of the Halland 2 that is produced by another brand (name escapes me).

IMG_20190821_080708815~2.jpg
Laser Comp 1 next to Nordisk Halland 2 in Sweden
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Postby Scottk » Fri May 01, 2020 10:14 pm

Terra Nova have a sale on some tents currently.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby rgf101 » Wed May 20, 2020 5:17 pm

If you're looking for more space, I'd consider a 2 man. The TN Laser Comp 2 is only £40 and 260g more.
rgf101

Postby john.malley » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:29 pm

How's about a tarp tent? My mountain laurel designs duomid is only 400grms and as been bomb proof in 50mph winds .. https://www.flickr.com/photos/56159557@N07/43214649380/in/album-72157655255526886/ .. it's also incredibly spacious.. check out reviews on the net
john.malley
Stravaiging

Munros:182   Corbetts:10
Fionas:6   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:188
Wainwrights:214   

Postby holtlynx » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:44 pm

Hi can I ask what you decided? After a good deal of research I came down to the same options. Actually bought the Freelite but it is quite a faff to put up - cant imagine three different pieces (including footprint) in a howling gale. Wondering about returning it in favour of the Terra Nova(only had it a few days). Any thoughts?
holtlynx

Postby Alex W » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:25 pm

I took the Terra Nova Laser Comp 1 on the John Muir Trail in the High Sierra. Superb tent. No problems putting it up, no condensation problems. Big enough to bring your pack inside and the flysheet overlap is big enough to leave your boots under cover if you don't want them inside the tent with you.

I had brilliant Californian weather for the JMT, but I also used it overnight on the Isle of Wight in a gale which gusted to over 100 mph and I managed to put the tent up alone and miraculously it stayed up all night. Not an experience I would wish to repeat, but the tent coped just fine.

It is unbelievably light for the performance of the kit.
Alex W
Mountain Walker

Munros:212   Corbetts:8
Fionas:8   Donalds:15
Sub 2000:12   
Islands:12

Postby St Pedro » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:26 pm

I am similarly deciding what lightweight (<1.5kg) tent to purchase for hill adventures with my Westie, want option to accommodate 1 other occasionally so looking at 2 person tents

MSR freelite 2 was topping my list but just become aware of new kids on the block Sea To Summit -3 years research before coming into tent market this April

Sea to Summit Alto or Teros - available in 1 or 2 person -Sea to summit make quality other gear have one of their down sleeping bags

i am now seriously considering the Alto2 plus - plus means non mesh inner and better quality groundsheet for wetter climates

the higher head height and top vent to minimise any condensation, plus some nice touches like storage pouches and light bar

thoughts?
St Pedro
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:200
Fionas:73   Donalds:89+49
Sub 2000:24   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   Islands:36

Postby TheWildHaggis » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:52 pm

Hi,

I ended up purchasing the TN Laser Comp 1, essentially due to its good reputation. It has been used for about 20nights in the last year. So far it has served me well, a few points that i would like to make, to operate the vent flaps on the outter skin means that the inner door has to be unziped to reach them. There is no toggle or tag to hang a torch from the inner tent or storage pockets but i knew this before buying but is something that i do miss from my other tents.
TheWildHaggis
Munro compleatist

Postby HikerSteve » Tue May 04, 2021 7:52 pm

Just in case people are still reading this post.....
I have a Nordisk Telemark. Having used it in both summer and winter I'd definitely recommend it.
It's stood up to some pretty gnarly conditions, is pretty quick to erect even in bad conditions and has enough space for storage/emergency cooking.
Obviously at 800g or so it's not massive inside but is fine for 6'2" me.
I've never had a massive problem with condensation but it does occur when it's cold and there's no wind. But on the outer rather than inner.
Dries quickly in sun or breeze.
Even if it gets very wet and has to be stashed it can be used the next night without getting me or my stuff wet.
My opinion anyhoo :crazy:
HikerSteve
Munro compleatist

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk