walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Review? OS GPS devices (TwoNav)

Review? OS GPS devices (TwoNav)

Postby winerwalker » Wed May 27, 2020 1:49 pm

I’m in need of a new GPS device for hill walking, ski touring and MTBing. Has anyone had experience of the Ordnance Survey range of GPSs made by TwoNav?

I’ve used various Garmins, Satmap’s Active 10, and even an old Magellan years ago, and am looking for something that:
- can take plenty of mapping (most of UK OS 50k/25k usually on SD cards),
- works at moderately low temperatures (skiing weather, Scottish winters, not serious Artic stuff),
- has a robust bike mount,
- large screen,
- waterproof (enough for UK weather).
Not fussed about touch screen.

tks
winerwalker

Munros:101   Corbetts:29
Fionas:5   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:57
Wainwrights:1   

Re: Review? OS GPS devices (TwoNav)

Postby Marty_JG » Wed May 27, 2020 2:26 pm

Sorry, no.

But if you want to chat, any particular reason you're not interested in a Garmin Oregon or Montana? Though it's a couple of years out of date, you can get Garmin 100% GB at 1:25, 1:50 and 1:250 on one card for about £45 (or you can PM me). In addition to that, not instead of but also, you can put the TalkyToaster maps on. The clarity on them (compared to OS) is night-and-day. Sure the OS will have more detail, use that to search for water sources and neolithic ruins. But in terms of on-the-bike-at-speed you'll likely find TT much superior. As for cold weather and these temps that'll be the battery that's key, get either Energizer Ultimate Lithium if you're wanting disposables or Panasonic Eneloop Pro if you're wanting to use rechargeables.

Another suggested might be a smartphone? At least a rugged, waterproof, one you can switch the (high capacity) battery out? Could be worth looking at the Galaxy XCover Pro which actually does all that. I'll link a review by the only people I know who do side-by-side tests of rugged smartphones along with a Garmin unit, summary: it's fast & accurate.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Samsung-Galaxy-XCover-Pro-Smartphone-Review-Outdoor-phone-with-user-replaceable-battery.455238.0.html#toc-communication-and-gps-xcover-pro-with-speedy-wi-fi

Just an idea.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby winerwalker » Wed May 27, 2020 2:50 pm

Thanks, Marty_JG. Yes, I’ve used TT maps for trips to Norway and the Alps as well as UK - they’re impressive.

I’ll check out your other suggestions.

rgds
winerwalker

Postby jolly47roger » Thu May 28, 2020 3:55 pm

If you are going the smartphone route, the Locus app works well and, uniquely (I believe), has a map based on OS OpenData that includes Core Paths for much of the Highlands.

btw, when I asked the OS they told me that their GPS devices could not be loaded with other maps. If true, then they are no help abroad.
jolly47roger
Mountaineer

Postby winerwalker » Thu May 28, 2020 6:27 pm

Cheers. I’ll look up Locus.

The OS devices are from Spanish company TwoNav and have hundreds of maps all over the world. I doubt if OS have managed to lock them somehow, but it’s possible. I just haven’t found anyone who’s used the device - maybe that’s my answer!
winerwalker

Postby Scottk » Thu May 28, 2020 10:56 pm

I have memory maps on my phone but seriously tempted by locus. Walked with someone last year who used it and it looks great and the maps are loaded on the phone. If I had a android phone I would have definitely been using it.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby Marty_JG » Fri May 29, 2020 7:36 am

jolly47roger wrote:If you are going the smartphone route, the Locus app works well and, uniquely (I believe), has a map based on OS OpenData that includes Core Paths for much of the Highlands.

Holy Moly that Locus App looks amazing.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby DavidS247 » Sun May 31, 2020 8:47 pm

Have you checked out ViewRanger? I have used it successfully in the highlands during winter and with a premium subscription it supports 1:25k and 1:50k OS maps.

I use an iphone7 with an external battery to recharge at the end of the day.
DavidS247
Backpacker

Islands:4

Postby winerwalker » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:25 am

Thanks, DavidS247, yes I’ve used ViewRanger. There are loads of great apps (Komoot another newish none) but few great devices and I try not to use my phone for navigation.
winerwalker

Postby Gareth Harper » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:27 am

25% discounts on many Satmap products just now.
I’m tempted but my ten year old Satmap10 still works fine.
Gareth Harper

Munros:204   Corbetts:83
Fionas:26   Donalds:50
Sub 2000:6   

Postby maremalin » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:17 pm

I was tempted for a long time to get one of Garmin devices. But i think those are bit dated now and resolution and usability is somehow bit backwards.
I'm using OS Maps app on iphone with premium subscription for anything in UK and ViewRanger for those rare trips abroad. That is on top of paper map for backup if required.

Main disadvantage of using phone is battery life. So far i've never had a problem and i always carry small battery pack in case of emergency. For multi-days trips or longer day trips i use my phone in flight mode and that extends battery life significantly.
Second problem with phone is operating temperature. Carrying it in winter on a cold day its a hit and miss. I've had situations when phone switched off after carrying it in phone case / pouch for ease of access.
maremalin

Munros:41   
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:3   

Postby winerwalker » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:25 pm

Thanks. Yes, my iPhone can die for no reason with plenty of charge, hence my question about new devices.
winerwalker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk