walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Stove thoughts

Stove thoughts

Postby Veryhappybunny » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:59 pm

I am hoping to get my other half wild camping if the weather co-operates in July.

We last wild camped a very long time ago, and our stove is a trangia. Is it worth getting a newer stove? Are they better, lighter? and worth spending the money? We’d be using it to boil water, to cook evening meals, and to make pancakes for breakfast (if I can persuade him to do that - pancakes and maple syrup were a favourite when we used to camp).

Thanks
Veryhappybunny
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:159
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:90
Wainwrights:163   Islands:8

Re: Stove thoughts

Postby Marty_JG » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:16 pm

I love spirit burners. Personally I have and use titanium to cut weight, but the Trangia has the advantage of a cap to store unused fuel, is efficient, and has a variable simmer. If you're doing more than fast & light boils, as you are, you don't need a replacement. If all you want is ultralight guerilla boils then I can talk you through some options. [Edit, looks like over for me, but Evernew Titanium for speed and Vargo Triad Multi Titanium for efficiency].

One day Trangia will make a titanium version of their stove and it will be a global smash-hit best seller. Beween 1998 and 2007 they made titanium pots & pans but not stoves.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:50 pm

Go with what you know on your first trip. No, its not the absolute lightest, but a Trangia is efficient and self contained.

There are lots of tiny gas stoves on the market, but the weight of the gas and pan(s) brings it back up a fair bit.

There are also the "Jetboil" type, quick and efficient but not particularly light, and not so good for frying pancakes! Or bacon.

I do like pancakes when wild camping.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby shinenotburn » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:55 am

Veryhappybunny wrote:I am hoping to get my other half wild camping if the weather co-operates in July.

We last wild camped a very long time ago, and our stove is a trangia. Is it worth getting a newer stove? Are they better, lighter? and worth spending the money? We’d be using it to boil water, to cook evening meals, and to make pancakes for breakfast (if I can persuade him to do that - pancakes and maple syrup were a favourite when we used to camp).

Thanks

I would hang on to the Trangia. What I would do is get the gas burner for it which will fit in the pot or kettle and means you cook rather than just boil much more easily and have some ability to reduce weight with a smaller gas cartridge if that is critical. For me the in built wind proofing of the trangia trumps a lot.

I had exactly this set up but replaced it with a very fancy multi fuel stove which you can gather I regret!

Iain.
shinenotburn
Mountaineer

Munros:212   Corbetts:16
Fionas:7   Donalds:27
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   

Postby Veryhappybunny » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:36 pm

Many thanks for the wise words - we will stick with the Trangia and see how it goes.
Veryhappybunny
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:159
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:90
Wainwrights:163   Islands:8

Postby davekeiller » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:55 pm

I would keep the trangia. It's not the lightest, or the quickest, but they're reliable and pretty much bombproof. They are also one of the few designs of stoves that actually work better in a stiff breeze.
If you decide that you enjoy wildcamping and want to go more lightweight, then maybe consider buying a lighter weight stove at a later date, rather than splashing out now for something that might only get used once or twice.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk