walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Garmiin eTrex HC series gps

Garmiin eTrex HC series gps

Postby georgehogg » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:48 am

Hi , I have botany survey work to do which will involve finding specific coordinates from which points, measurements will then be made on the ground to find the locations of previously surveyed 1m quadrats.
1. With the above handset can I type in coordinates to points I have not previously marked ,which the handset will then point to and allow me to walk to and pinpoint the exact coordinates. ? How is that done please ?
2. Also are gps coordinates even accurate enough to return to exact points from which ground measurements were made in previous years ? They would need to be accurate to within 5cm or so.
(My own practice is usually to mark the starting point with a wooden post which I find to be far more reliable and simpler )
georgehogg
Ambler

Re: Garmiin eTrex HC series gps

Postby Marty_JG » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:38 pm

Garmin do manuals and it can be worth checking the online version as they get updated.

https://static.garmin.com/pumac/eTrexLegendHCx_OwnersManual.pdf

Page 7 talks of creating and editing waypoints, I haven't tried on that model if you can edit the coordinates but it seems you should.

Page 45 of that manual says the GPS accuracy is under 10 meters and the DGPS accuracy is 3 meters (95% of the time).
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby jolly47roger » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:15 pm

For most GPS devices, accuracy of less than 3m is unlikely.

For defining points, it is probably easier to make a GPX file of waypoints and upload it to the device.
jolly47roger
Mountaineer

Postby china88 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:03 am

I agree with JollyRoger

GPS receivers can give a 10 figure grid reference ie to an accuracy of 1 m but because of the number of satellites and their positions have an accuracy of 3-10m at best. In summary accuracy is determined by the number of satellites the GPS can see plus other variables.

For question 1, as JRoger suggests, input waypoints into the device. The waypoint is useful in that it will allow you to see that you have arrived at a particular grid reference point or place. on the map.
china88
Munro compleatist

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk