walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

LightWeight double sleeping bag ??

LightWeight double sleeping bag ??

Postby loriwatson1 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:08 am

Hello All ,

I am wondering if you would be kind enough to share some double sleeping bags that are light weight??

i have been have a wee nose online and came across the Vango infinity double sleeping bag but cant seem to find any relatable reviews on it . i have seen a few videos of similar vango ones and the bag looks slightly large .

i know a double sleeping bag is going to be a much larger bag than a single that's just facts but i'm here for some suggestions on others.

Thank you
Lori
loriwatson1
Mountain Walker

Munros:52   Corbetts:4
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1
Islands:5

Re: LightWeight double sleeping bag ??

Postby Hike Man » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:25 am

If you look around you can buy single bags with zips at opposite sides that enable you to join them and make a double. This gives you options far better than the double. I have no recommendations but worth exploring that route so you can carry one when solo.
Hike Man

Munros:40   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:5   

Postby davekeiller » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:56 am

I'm not sure there's much of a market for double bags, but most manufacturers seem to have left and right zip options, allowing you to zip two single bags together.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Ian Johnston » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:49 am

Hi Lori,

Have you used a double sleeping bag previously? If so, apologies - you'll already know this, but... the downside is that it's difficult to keep your shoulders and neck warm when things are a bit chilly, when one person turns over the other will be dragged around, you'll probably need a double mat or mattress - and they're a big old thing to pack.

That's pretty much why all the double bags are aimed at static (campsite) camping rather than backpacking. a good sleeping bag and mat are worth their weight in gold - you can do anything on a good night's sleep, but it's all a bit of a struggle after little or no sleep!

Kind Regards

Ian
Ian Johnston

Munros:282   Corbetts:72
Fionas:20   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:29   Hewitts:128
Wainwrights:118   Islands:64

Postby LeithySuburbs » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:33 am

Nothing readily available in the UK but we have used a Big Agnes: Cabin Creek for many years for both car camping and backpacking. The King Solomon is the down version which is lighter but more expensive - https://www.bigagnes.com/Gear/Sleeping-Bags/Doublewide. You would need one of the 15degree versions for UK use.
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Marty_JG » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:44 pm

Aegismax (Chinese brand, on Amazon, Ebay, Aliexpress) do cheap down bags, the Medium and Large models of the range have zips on opposite ends so two slightly differently-sized bags will zip together.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby WalkWithWallace » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:43 am

There isn't much of a market for double sleeping bags, I'd maybe look at quilts instead. 8)
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:193
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby Themasterpiece » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:33 pm

We zip together left and right hand sleeping bags. We have two Robens Serac 300 bags and one Serac 900 bag, so on colder nights she uses the 900 and me the 300 and it seems to work well with more insulation over her side. Tons of room, maybe too much.

For an air bed we have an exped synmat HL duo LW, which is 130cm wide and is amazing. No stopping between mats. Only 1240g which is light for two, and R3.3. The pump sack is great.

Looked at double quits but the foot area looks small unless you get a custom quilt made.
Themasterpiece
Backpacker

Postby weaselmaster » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:42 pm

Have a look here:
https://featheredfriends.com/collections/two-person-sleeping-bags

the penguin and condor styles have a separate groundsheet that takes 2 standard size air mattresses and zips to the sides of the sleeping bag, so you are essentially having a one person sleeping bag that does two persons, zipped up on either side (or left unzipped as a quilt in hotter times) Much less weight to carry that 2 bags, much less bulk too. They also have detachable hoods. Not cheap, but quality +++
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:196   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby SMRussell » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:50 am

Probably worth having a look at ultralightoutdoorgear - https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/equipment-c3/sleeping-bags-c21 There are only two synthetic fill doubles and they are on the heavier side. If you're comfortable using down there are more options.

Th lightest double sleeping bag they have seems to be the NEMO Down Comforter Double Sleeping Bag
-1°C Comfort Limit; Nikwax Hydrophobic Down; 1220g (excluding stuff sack); £374.99
https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/equipment-c3/sleeping-bags-c21/sleeping-bags-c88/tango-down-comforter-double-sleeping-bag-p11487

They've got a few others. The lightest Big Agnes double sleeping bag on the site is the Sentinel 30 Double Wide Down Sleeping Bag
-1°C Comfort Limit; 1550g (excluding stuff sack); £329.99.
https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/equipment-c3/sleeping-bags-c21/sleeping-bags-c88/sentinel-30-double-wide-down-sleeping-bag-p10871

They also have the Thermarest 2020 Vela 20 Double Down Quilt
-6°C Comfort Limit; Nikwax Hydrophobic Down; 1342g (excluding stuff sack); £269.99
I've never used a quilt instead of a sleeping bag so I can't recommend it from experience. The weight to warmth and price point seem good though.
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk