walkhighlands

Check this board for announcements about new features and content on Walkhighlands

Walk report of the month is back! £150 to win each month.

Walk report of the month is back! £150 to win each month.

Postby Paul Webster » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:34 am

The Walk Report of the Month competition is back - and bigger and better than before!

We also have a new sponsor - Cotswold Outdoor. As always, all of the money from this sponsorship goes to the people who write the winning reports. The community part of Walkhighlands remains funded by user donations.

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/news/win-150-each-month-from-cotswold-outdoor/0020950/

It'll be great to read all your reports as people return to beloved places.

Note the moderation policy around neither advocating breaking Coronavirus guidance, nor telling people they are not welcome when the guidance now permits it, will remain in place.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Re: Walk report of the month is back! £150 to win each month

Postby Bod » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:07 pm

It's about time that I focused again on walk reports :D :D :wink:

Can't believe how I lost the habit ..... and years, not months have flown past :shock:
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:08 pm

Once I'm back up and running I'll certainly be doing a TR
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby mrssanta » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:36 pm

This is excellent, now I just need a walk to report!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby SlimRidge » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:09 pm

Hello!

Might be a daft question, but are there time constraints for when the walk was done? I'm guessing the report should be for a walk done in said month, but just checking!
SlimRidge
Munro compleatist

Munros:44   

Postby Paul Webster » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:07 pm

No restrictions - it could be a write up of a walk from long ago
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby SlimRidge » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:32 am

Excellent, thanks!
SlimRidge
Munro compleatist

Munros:44   

Postby Cam_Tempo » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:19 pm

This motivated me to stop lurking and start posting reports!
Cam_Tempo
Mountaineer

Postby Joe Murphy » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:10 pm

Paul not quite sure but where do we post reports - is it just on this post ? Sorry for being a bit stupid!
Joe Murphy

Postby Paul Webster » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:01 pm

Not a reply- start a new thread on the appropriate board (i.e. Scotland walk reports, Outside Scotland, or Long distance route)
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Cairn of Bairns ( Mini Dreish)

Postby Mekon » Thu May 20, 2021 11:17 am

I guess we all do walks that we have done before or new ones with people that know the way.
It is when you see something on a map and decide to go there or like me when you get a walk description from the internet and complete the information from the internet with things you think you know.
Maybe it is just me that does that !!
My walk on May 18 was a case in point.
I decided we (being me and walk buddy Grant) would walk the Kilbo Path from Glen Prosen and when we reach the plateau to then summit Mayar and then Dreish before dropping back down to the start point, a nice circular 12 miles. Internet to the ready I found a suitable route on both Walkhighlands and another website.
On reviewing the routes my first assumption was that I knew the start point, that being the start of the Ministers Walk at Glenprosen Village. The routes specified a start point of Glen Prosen Lodge, well that has to be in the village doesn’t it?? I had a speed read of both the routes and it seemed that the only things I needed to remember was that the Kilbo Path is a right turn off the main path behind a cottage, simples. No further research needed. I sent Grant the link to the route, job done.
I packed my bag, first aid kit, map, glasses under layer waterproofs, compass, camera, lunch, drink and kitchen sink.
Undaunted I left home at 9am and drove to my meeting point with Grant at the bottom of Emock Road, I turned up at the arranged meeting time of 9-30am, Grant turned up at 9-30am Grant time, 9-45am. In fact he was probably 5 minutes early in Grant time.
It was my turn to drive so he and his boots and bag which contains sandwiches and a drink and a waterproof coat, get in. We were off to Glen Prosen.
Arriving at 10-45 we donned our boots and headed straight off, sure enough we passed a building as we left describing itself as Glenprosen Hostel, that’s pretty much the same as Glenprosen Lodge.
E1A8A01D-BF1C-4F68-B458-1CCECFE3C3DF.jpeg
Start point

The route had mentioned Glenprosen Forest was mostly cut down and we duly passed A cut down forest. The route mentioned going over a wide wooden bridge and we did this also.
2FAC16D1-0E24-4533-8CC7-5888AE0E072E.jpeg
Felled forest

Eventually after a couple a miles we reach a cottage, not a derelict cottage but one fully operational. Routes get old and things change it must have been refurbished.
9EFD3E68-20DF-428B-B644-62FC7750E4CB.jpeg
Refurbished cottage

There is a track right off the road up the hills. The route said the turnoff to the Kilbo was signposted Clova, no sign, that must have gone at the same time the cottage was refurbished. The route map said the path used to go through a forest but that had been felled, no sign of a forest behind Craigmeg, they must have grubbed up the roots.
As I said earlier you can persuade yourself you know things and in fact persuade yourself about almost anything.
We turn right and start a steep ascent . The cottage we had turned at was Craigmeg, the hill we were now ascending was Craigmeg Hill though that wasn’t knowledge we had as we walked, the path was indistinct and we soon encountered a fence which required climbing.
Any ounce of common sense would tell you that a long established Drovers trail along with cows has been herded for many years before walkers took over, does not have a fence across it that needs climbing. Nonetheless over and upwards we went until we reached a shoulder and a row grouse butts. Ahead of us lay a grouse moor on which sheep were feasting and lambs frolicking.
E9B34144-98E0-4575-AA26-55D6584B81EA.jpeg
Frolicking sheep

At the other end of the Moor two peaks, Mayar and Dreish(not) . Running up to the gap between looked like a path. We turned sharp right down the row of butts and reached a land rover track heading towards the distant hills. The track was pretty easy and although there were many turns left and right it was better to follow than start cross country over heather and bog. The track then started to head left towards “Mayar” and another row of grouse butts. When it again turned uphill towards that summit we decided to head right down to the bottom of the gulley that led to the gap between the hills.
We hadn’t consulted either map or route description since leaving the main path, well, we can see where we are going.
The weather through the morning had been patchy and a bit of a fashion show as we switched between coat on coat off hat on hat off as showers came through soaking us then the sun drying us. The forecast had predicted this. I decided that sun tan cream was a sensible option as the sun felt quite strong and the rain seemed to clear away entirely. I was walking in my yellow t shirt, very fashionable easily seen.
It was around 1-30pm we found a couple of rocks, ideal for a lunch stop. We stopped and had our sandwiches and enjoyed the rest. The flies all seemed to decide my yellow t shirt was a nice landing area and were rather quickly turning it black as their numbers increased.
Another tip coming, don’t wear yellow in the summer it attracts every bug known to man.
We were now off path, and walking through heather and bog plants over watercourses.
As I set off the flies took to the air and Grant kindly started smoking which probably encouraged their departure.
We reached “the path” up to the gap between the hills, which it turned out was a stream.
Onward we waded until eventually the top was reached and with it a fence line. We were somewhat confused to our left wasn’t Mayar and to our right wasn’t Dreish. In front of us wasn’t the other side of the Kilbo Path which descended the Shank of Drumfollow. The view ahead was across Clova to Loch Brandy, who had moved everything about so drastically.
A consult of the map indicated we were between Cairn Inks and Cairn of Bairns. We immediately re christened them Mini Mayar and Mini Dreish. We were a good 3 miles east of where we should have been.
We had walked up through a grouse moor on Glen Logie and not the Kilbo Path. That came as a bit of a shock.
As we stood dazed and confused a rain storm was heading our way from the west.
FA10080B-43F6-4EEF-BACF-88E421C4C101.jpeg
Here comes the rain again

Coats back on we were again soaked in seconds. We decided we better summit something to salvage the day and Cairn of Bairns, Mini Dreish, was selected as the chosen one. A fairly steep but short climb got us to the cairn on the summit. We tarried in the rain, somewhat crestfallen , deciding how best to get back.
C6CB2003-2E40-44B3-AE41-D51DD116DFFA.jpeg
Cairn of Bairns (cairn)

The rain was on for the afternoon, it was 2-20pm and we had a 3 hour walk back. There were no paths to be seen so we headed down the hill through the heather. Grant had a minor fall onto his rear no damage done and we were soon back down on the moor tramping through more bog and heather. Progress was slow and the uneven ground was creating a more than even chance of turning and ankle or knee. We decided to head for the track we had come along. Eventually we found the land rover track.
Adventures over it was a long wet tramp back to our car. The rain continue to fall and thunder and lightning flashed and boomed out a couple of times as we made our way back.
It was two sodden and tired walkers who arrived at the car at 5-20pm.
I had been recording the route on my OS map app, without my glasses I selected an option which I thought was to finish and save the route. In fact it deleted it, well there is probably some poetic justice in that. As pretty a walk as it was, at least until it started raining, there seems little desire to repeat it and I can’t see it become the next Loch Brandy and the Snub among the rambling population.
0680AACF-AA5A-47A6-B6FD-E9C369BE273F.jpeg
Looking back at Glen Logie

On waking up on Wednesday morning I went to the computer and uploaded my photos. I looked at the GPS data and having converted it to OS co ordinates was able to plot our approximate route. More importantly to see clearly on the map where we should have started.
On the plus side we know what we are doing next week.
Mekon
Mountaineer

Postby Alteknacker » Thu May 20, 2021 2:13 pm

RE: Cairn of Bairns: Most of us have done something like this at one time or another...

Ah well - one positive to take from the experience: it's great entertainment for your readers :D
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Oone » Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:58 pm

Now I need to report after a walk, cool))))
Oone
Rock-climber

Postby Claire_jane9 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:00 am

Ive just written my very FIRST walk report :)

if you fancy a read its The battle of Ben Oss and Bein Dubhcraigh !!!

Thank you

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
Claire_jane9
Hill Bagger

Munros:37   Corbetts:1
Islands:8

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walkhighlands announcements and feedback